onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Just look at Hannatt. I thought he was ok, but wasn’t bothered when he left. Do I care he plays a big part in a table-topping side now? No. Do I think we let a superstar slip through our hands? No. He’s just a solid, hard-working player with little sprinkles of quality thrown in. We can assemble a squad better than this year’s top sides if we make the right decisions in the summer.

Advert

Hannant was a very good player for us - alongside Smith and Pope at the time. In a poor team with players hiding he always wanted and looked for the ball. Two footed, good in the air for a little 'un, chased lost causes... (cf Morsey). But if he was causing team problems with off-field shenanigans then we have to back the manager.

15 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

How some people can even contemplate keeping Mills, is absolutely beyond me 🤪

He's a bottom 4/National League player at best! For once, his CV actually reflects his level! When we release him, there's absolutely ZERO chance of him being signed up by another League 2 club. He'll be playing NL next season, absolutely no doubt about it!

Agree, and the same also goes for Crookes.

Although they have undoubtedly improved (I'd say from being a 4 or 5-out-of-10 to a 6-out-of-10), is it enough to justify being part of a reduced size squad of 20 (?) next season for a team that will hopefully be making a real challenge for the top 7?

Nowhere near enough IMO.

Reckon Clarke will release both when the retained list is done in 5 or 6 weeks time.

17 hours ago, Doha said:

Spot on. 

Football in unbelievably cyclical.

We need to start a new one this summer. 

When you look at the 2012/13 side it show how cyclical it is. Vincent, JMW, Williamson, Burge, Griffiths , McCombe and Taylor were all play non-league football by the time they were 30. People talk about Cambridge this season BUT despite slight exaggeration of the size of the changes to their first team (Hannatt at least should be added to players not signed during the summer) I didn't see many people advocating any of their signings for Vale. Signing players and retaining them is all about getting players who will be good next season. Getting promoted from this league is all about getting your best 7 or 8 players on thr park for 30 to 40 games. We have enough good players in this squad to get promoted without any changes. The big question mark over several is can they stay fit for 35 games plus a season. I think we've actually got a better first 11 than 2012/13 but key players miss too many games.

18 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

We have gone 5 straight wins and some people still want a major clear out, Clarke obviously has the knack of getting the best out of players. This was not the case with the previous management. There was obviously a major problem within the squad/management last year, looks like we are over that. With how the squad is performing now there does not need to be to big a turnover of players. Let’s leave it to the “Tinkerman” to sort out.

Thats 5 out of 40! 

23 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Clarke has not been the Vale manager for 40 games.

No but the players have, who have quite frankly being embarrassing for most of this season and a disgrace to the badge.

20 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:

It amazes me that so many are repeating the mistakes they made last year.

We put a good run together and everyone is falling into the trap of assuming thar next season anything other than promotion is a failure.

We all get ahead of ourselves but people should temper their expectations. As many have already said 3 of the last 4 seasons we have been on the cusp of relegation.

We are seeing good signs from the club at the moment so why not expect an improvement, hope for playoffs with the understanding that if we get everything right and have some luck we could get a promotion.

That way if we have a bit of a stutter in autumn it isn't all doom and gloom spreading like wildfire.

I don't want expectations to rise, I'd prefer to be the underdog and surprise everyone!

But most would agree that this season has been one of the worst we've had as fans. Long winless runs, defensive shambles, oversized squad of non-league standard players.

Yet we currently sit 10 points off the playoff places. TEN POINTS!

Surely with even a half decent team we should hopefully be looking to challenge the top 7 next year?

8 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

But he has given them a clean slate. Only the games since he arrived count to him.

Thats what he needs to says to keep them motivated until the end of the season and not about making long term decisions on players. Both DC and DOF will be bringing in their own players.

30 minutes ago, MBE said:

Thats what he needs to says to keep them motivated until the end of the season and not about making long term decisions on players. Both DC and DOF will be bringing in their own players.

Will have to wait and see how many come in.

But he has given them a clean slate. Only the games since he arrived count to him.
He'd be the worst manager in the world if he had come in and said these players are sheeite and they've no chance of a new contract! He's playing the game until the end of the season when I expect to see most gone

On 07/04/2021 at 19:49, tommytunstall said:

We have gone 5 straight wins and some people still want a major clear out, Clarke obviously has the knack of getting the best out of players. This was not the case with the previous management. There was obviously a major problem within the squad/management last year, looks like we are over that. With how the squad is performing now there does not need to be to big a turnover of players. Let’s leave it to the “Tinkerman” to sort out.

5 wins Dosent change the abysmal showing from then for the rest of the season. I suppose you think Robinson should stay now that he’s got a goal? We’ve been in the midst of relegation for 3 of the last 4 seasons. We need a clear out and start again. I can’t handle another season of us with players like Robinson, mills and whitehead. 

If we tread water and think everything is rosy after a few wins we will be in for a big shock come August.

Clarke is nobodies fool and obviously with Flitcroft they are not going to have the wool pulled over their eyes by this massive improvement.

It's the life of a footballer, there will be no sentiment from those pair and rightly so. 

It's the equivalent of Grimsby escaping and saying well we played well for the last 10 games they deserve to stay. 

Very harsh you might say but this discussion wouldn't be taking place had the players not gone off on mid season capitulation. 

Archived