onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Who you keeping, assuming you can re-sign anyone and move on under-contract players?

Darrell may be mulling it over, but we’ve seen enough to know who we would keep.

Next season starters:

Brown (maybe bench)

Gibbo

NEW

Smith

NEW

NEW

Conlon

NEW

Worrall

NEW

NEW

Bench:

Taylor

Monty

Rodney

That’s a lot of new players, but I reckon that’s what we need to be serious about next season.

Advert

I think a lot will depend on the formation Clarke will want to play going forward.

I suspect from playing Walsall his favoured system is 4-2-3-1 but will want to be able to change things around to 4-5-1 and 4-4-2. He has to find a way we take advantage of the unique size of the pitch in this league at VP but also adaptable for the Sunday parks like Newport and Morecambe.

Clarke's already indicated he wants versatility from his players which probably rules a few players out. I think with the investment we have made in Taylor and Rodney I personally would like him find a system to play to those players strengths and build around them.

Of those you mentioned I wouldn't keep Brown

I like the idea of 4231. Leaves the defence to solidly defend and maintain shape, but we still have scope and width to hold the ball in the final 3rd. Taylor is surely good enough to play in an attacking midfield 3 like that. We need 2 wingers, 2 back up wingers, 3 strikers to make 4 with Rodney and a lot of defenders and defensive midfielders. Busy summer, unless Clarke takes a shine to some I would personally get rid of.

Brown , Monty , Smith, Gibbons, conlon,Burgess, Taylor, Worrall, Amoo,Hurst,Pope and Rodney

While Pope is nearing the end of his playing career he can still get a goal when played right and deserves to end the season on his terms.

I'd like to hope young players like Bailey may get a professional contract also.

Next summer is huge but we need to end this nightmare of a season first before anything. We'll also need a break away from the torture and pain of seeing Mills and Whitehead playing. I'm sure they're  nice lads but I refuse to believe they are league 2 footballers. Absolutely dreadful 

Brown
Gibbons
Smith
Hurst
Worrall
Conlon
Burgess
Taylor
Joyce
Rodney
Montano

I would expect we would look to keep.

Pope maybe?
Crookes 50/50 if he can take his chance rest of season
Scott possibly? If we get safe would be worth having a look.

Imagine we will probably go in for the odd Walsall player. Scarr would be alright but he loves the lad with the huge beard Clarke does.

Imagine we will get some younger players in with the 20 limit.

I think we may all be surprised tbf. I think Clarke’s words are trying to unsettle players to see what they are about. Could yet backfire but I think with smaller squads next season players have to up their game else they could be out of football completely. 

I don’t think anyone is safe and neither should they be after the shower of <ovf censored> they have produced so far. 

No sentiment to be shown to any player. They need to earn the right to stay.

Keep smith,gibbons, Worrall, Pope and Rodney after that everything’s up for grabs. 

Injury prone oyleke, Amoo, Cullen have to go. Can’t keep carrying them.

Older players probably need to move on. Depending on what chunk of the budget they are taking up. 

Defenders can only be used loosely for some of our players. 

Most of midfield could go and wouldn’t really be missed. We have to many players in that area that are not really a type. Non of them are box to box, non are defensive mids even Joyce plays there but he ain’t a rough em up hard tackling defensive mid. Non of them dictate play. They are all to samey. 

Then up front not one genuine goal threat. 

Squad is genuinely awful. 

Scott Brown - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Adam Crookes - RELEASE
Luke Joyce - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Leon Legge - RELEASE
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Manny Oyeleke - RELEASE
Tom Pope - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT
Cristian Montaño - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Mark Cullen - RELEASE
Kurtis Guthrie - RELEASE
Zak Mills - RELEASE
Shaun Brisley - RELEASE
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT
Harry McKirdy - RELEASE
Ryan Campbell-Gordon - NOT PLAYED AND UNDER 21
David Fitzpatrick - RELEASE
Daniel Trickett-Smith - RELEASE
Alex Hurst - OFFER NEW CONTRACT ONLY IF HE COUNTS AS UNDER 21
Dino Visser - RELEASE
Tom Scott - OFFER NEW CONTRACT AS IS UNDER 21

So four contract offers to over-21 players, 10 are already under contract, release 11, with 3 under-21s that can be kept without troubling the squad limit. Try and offload Robinson, Whitehead and Amoo if possible, maybe Burgess as well. Then we'd have room for 6-10 new players, who would need to be key players rather just making up the numbers, with under-21 players either permanent or on loan to help fill out the squad without counting towards the squad limit. So a few under contract that we'd rather release but certainly scope for a massive rebuild in the summer.

Scott Brown - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Adam Crookes - RELEASE
Luke Joyce - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Leon Legge - RELEASE
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Manny Oyeleke - RELEASE
Tom Pope - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT
Cristian Montaño - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Mark Cullen - RELEASE
Kurtis Guthrie - RELEASE
Zak Mills - RELEASE
Shaun Brisley - RELEASE
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT
Harry McKirdy - RELEASE
Ryan Campbell-Gordon - NOT PLAYED AND UNDER 21
David Fitzpatrick - RELEASE
Daniel Trickett-Smith - RELEASE
Alex Hurst - OFFER NEW CONTRACT ONLY IF HE COUNTS AS UNDER 21
Dino Visser - RELEASE
Tom Scott - OFFER NEW CONTRACT AS IS UNDER 21

So four contract offers to over-21 players, 10 are already under contract, release 11, with 3 under-21s that can be kept without troubling the squad limit. Try and offload Robinson, Whitehead and Amoo if possible, maybe Burgess as well. Then we'd have room for 6-10 new players, who would need to be key players rather just making up the numbers, with under-21 players either permanent or on loan to help fill out the squad without counting towards the squad limit. So a few under contract that we'd rather release but certainly scope for a massive rebuild in the summer.

I don’t think we will keep that many players

I hope we keep some of the better players, fed up of this constant churn of players and seeing the ones brought in doing no better than ones we have released. That list doesn't look too bad, Amoo, Cullen and Manny aren't doing much, Fitz, Whitehead and Mills need replacing maybe. Be good to get Trickett Smith off the books and McKirdy too. Brisley is a good solid CB, doesn't pull up trees but is reliable when called upon. I would keep Guthrie too, he does more than people give him credit for, could have done with him starting on Tuesday.

Brown is the only out of contract player who I think will get a new deal. I like Monty but only playing 1200 minutes out of 2700 isn't good enough. We all want pope to stay but his wages would have to more than half to make it economically viable and I think he will get a bigger pay packet at another club for a year atleast. RCG who knows.
Robinson, Whitehead and Legge if he gets his extension transfer list or try and ship out on loan.

A lot depends on what division we're in.
That's a very good point because we will be selling a lot of the contracted players if we go down you can't expect the likes of Conlon, Rodney, Gibbons and Smith to play in non league at a point in their career where they are looking to push on

4 hours ago, Jacob_123 said:

I don’t think we will keep that many players

Not sure we'd easily find better players than Brown, Montano, Pope or Joyce. Pope and Joyce are getting on now but I'm sure they'll be contributing plenty to the next season. Obviously this is all subject to reasonable wage demands, if they'd have to be one of the top earners then they might have to leave

Archived