onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Just now, Valepopey11 said:

Sadly potentially, judging off our last two performances, I think he’s lost the dressing room, with nobody to lead the line next season, i cant see where the goals are going to come from, i fear the end of season form may have been a temporary bounce.

He's lost the dressing room , absolutely hilarious. There isn't a dressing room they've all gone .

Absolutely incredible. 

For the record Pope scored 3 

Advert

10 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

Just want to pay tribute to the greatest port vale striker in this clubs history, Tom Pope, I’ve been saying since his appointment that this clown makes some shocking decisions and i cannot believe we’re releasing out best player, the only one with any bit of class, the only player who can actually bastard head the ball, thank you tom pope, ill never forget days like at the ethiad, hero and vale legend #Thankyoupopey

No doubting his commitment to the club and he was instrumental in a promotion push but he's done well out of the club too. Lets be honest as well, he brought unwanted attention to Port Vale with some of his comments and in my opinion the right decision has been made. Too many people wanted a contract offer because of what he is to the club and not because of what he still can do. 

The truth is he wasn't our best player this past season, he didn't look great on Saturday against Mansfield. I wouldn't be surprised If he wasn't taken in by another L2 side, I think he will go Hanley. 

He had his time and thousands are grateful for the memories but we are trying to get out of a tough league, there's very little room to be sentimental when you're a club with the best achievement in recent memory is a goal against Manchester City in a game where we lost. I think that says it all.

18 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

Just want to pay tribute to the greatest port vale striker in this clubs history, Tom Pope, I’ve been saying since his appointment that this clown makes some shocking decisions and i cannot believe we’re releasing out best player, the only one with any bit of class, the only player who can actually bastard head the ball, thank you tom pope, ill never forget days like at the ethiad, hero and vale legend #Thankyoupopey

Where have you been,i missed you when we were on the 9 game unbeaten run

3 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

Sadly potentially, judging off our last two performances, I think he’s lost the dressing room, with nobody to lead the line next season, i cant see where the goals are going to come from, i fear the end of season form may have been a temporary bounce.

Jeez, let them sign some players first before you make these kind of comments. Madness.

6 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

Think you lot will struggle next season.  You could do with tyreese Campbell back 

Pretty sure Messrs Foyle, Naylor, Beckford, Jones and Kirkham, to name but a few, would have something to say about that statement! Can't dispute he's a Vale legend in terms of goals, but do you really believe that if he'd been playing in the 90s and early 2000s, he would have been anywhere near the Vale first team?!

3 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

Unwanted attention? UNWANTED ATTENTION? we employed Lee <ovf censored> Hughes at this football club, dont talk to me about unwanted attention, you fool

I aren't saying Lee Hughes was the greatest striker that Port Vale ever had, or questioned why he left. If you are going to defend your statements may I suggest adding some balance to your opinions because your comments are really embarrassing.

Just checking though, you're not Tom Pope are you?

Whilst having seen all the above strikers except Kirkham there is no doubt they were class footballers. But when it came to actually scoring goals I would say Foyle in what is now the Championship is the one I would compare as a finisher to Pope's record season.

When it comes to scoring vital goals I would say Tom Pope's goals that kept us in the Football League were fundamentally the most vital  to the club?

For pure pleasure Pope's Ethiad goal is possibly the one that gave me the most pleasure as goals by the other strikers were scored at a time when we were in the glory years whereas Tom's Ethiad moment was an oasis in a desert of dross.

Even this last season Pope's ability to hold & control a football, see a pass, always meant we played further up the pitch when he came on.

I can understand his critics saying his best years are behind him, of course they are, but we are looking to get out of the 4th division for God's sake and I am sure his next club will play to his strengths and play it simple. Stick it up at the back post and he will either score or put it on a plate. Like he did for the lad at Bury who scored a hatful.

They are big boots to fill and I wish DF and DC the best of luck trying to do that.

Whilst having seen all the above strikers except Kirkham there is no doubt they were class footballers. But when it came to actually scoring goals I would say Foyle in what is now the Championship is the one I would compare as a finisher to Pope's record season.
When it comes to scoring vital goals I would say Tom Pope's goals that kept us in the Football League were fundamentally the most vital  to the club?
For pure pleasure Pope's Ethiad goal is possibly the one that gave me the most pleasure as goals by the other strikers were scored at a time when we were in the glory years whereas Tom's Ethiad moment was an oasis in a desert of dross.
Even this last season Pope's ability to hold & control a football, see a pass, always meant we played further up the pitch when he came on.
I can understand his critics saying his best years are behind him, of course they are, but we are looking to get out of the 4th division for God's sake and I am sure his next club will play to his strengths and play it simple. Stick it up at the back post and he will either score or put it on a plate. Like he did for the lad at Bury who scored a hatful.
They are big boots to fill and I wish DF and DC the best of luck trying to do that.

Nobody is right or wrong in their own opinion. It depends on what you judge or want from a striker as to whether he's the best in your eyes. For me, it's not just about goals, but memories and entertainment. Naylor could do some outrageous things with a football at his feet that Pope would have a stroke just dreaming about. Foyle was a born GS, as was Beckford. Brooker was my ultimate target man. Pope has earned his legend status for his goals and memories for some, but for me I still get goosebumps watching some of Naylors skill and goals (like that cross for the first equaliser at Goodison Park), which I've never got with Pope.

8 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

Fool.

862FDC3E-23E7-4BC9-8BD9-8052FD739941.jpeg

Do you remember in my last post how I said your post was embarrassing? This one was worse.

Hughes left the club 7 years ago, I'm talking about the current squad. Funnily enough the manager at the time didn't want Hughes either but the chairman ignored him. 

I still don't know what your point is though - are you saying if we can have a player like Lee Hughes who killed someone following his dangerous driving, we can have Tom Pope who through his most recent scandal was banned for 6 games? 

Philmpv 

I don't think we should underestimate Pope's ability to cross a ball. I lost count the number of times I said during games. Great cross by Pope shame he can't be on the end of it.

Naylor's audacious goal when he 'did' the lad on the half way line Lorne Street side to then cut in and bend it past the keeper was just sublime (was that against Sunderland?)

Martin Foyle's ability to win a free kick to relieve pressure.  His surfboarding goal against the S hite

Beckford's header on to Earle for promotion to second division.

All the above amazing memories.

But only one goal has seen me celebrate so mentally that I got thrown out. That was Pope at the Ethiad and I was 70 at the time!!

Thanks Tom.

1 hour ago, Valepopey11 said:

Click bait

21 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Still think my point is valid.... we need around 15 players... how to attract 15 better players than those we ve released is still an open question in my mind... we may get a couple of better players over the line but 15...., I hope I m wrong but can’t see it myself.

I think your maths is wrong, Bob? Including Manny, 16 players have been moved on...but the squad was probably 5 players too many, so only need to find 11 (or fewer) replacements. Bear in mind the amount of criticism that the likes of Whitehead and a few others have had levelled at them, it doesn't sound like much of a task to replace them, plus the rarely-playing invalids? Obviously, if any of the transfer-listed 3 move on, those will need to be replaced...some would suggest a squirrel would be an improvement!  

1 hour ago, andy jones said:

Philmpv 

I don't think we should underestimate Pope's ability to cross a ball. I lost count the number of times I said during games. Great cross by Pope shame he can't be on the end of it.

Naylor's audacious goal when he 'did' the lad on the half way line Lorne Street side to then cut in and bend it past the keeper was just sublime (was that against Sunderland?)

Martin Foyle's ability to win a free kick to relieve pressure.  His surfboarding goal against the S hite

Beckford's header on to Earle for promotion to second division.

All the above amazing memories.

But only one goal has seen me celebrate so mentally that I got thrown out. That was Pope at the Ethiad and I was 70 at the time!!

Thanks Tom.

I guess everyone has their own memories but as much as I enjoyed that goal at the Etihad there are plenty more above it on my list.  Sorry to hear you got thrown out by the way.

Archived