onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

I like Burgess, he has some ability, but boy is he lightweight. And doesn't seem to have toughened up over the past few years. His 50-50s become 60-40s or 75-25s. Sometimes ìt seems like a hard stare is enough for him to lose the challenge. Exaggeration I know, but imagine what he could be with a dash of Conlon, Gibbo or even Worrall about him...

And Taylor a massive disappointment since his return. Hopefully he can add a bit of steel and get back to competing, chasing, covering as if hìs life depended on it, and sniffing out a goal with late runs ìn his spare time.

Advert

I think with Taylor teams have realised that if you knock him about a bit he slips out of the game and doesn't seem to want the ball. Maybe just a lack of confidence from his scunthorpe loan but whatever it is he needs to improve and I'm sure he will

22 hours ago, LancyTony said:

It's generally acknowledged that the squad was too big, by at least 5 players? So those don't need to be replaced, and their wages will go towards bringing in the better players we need. For the first time, "Quality, not quantity" looks like it could happen!

Still think my point is valid.... we need around 15 players... how to attract 15 better players than those we ve released is still an open question in my mind... we may get a couple of better players over the line but 15...., I hope I m wrong but can’t see it myself.

1 hour ago, andy jones said:

Clarke has bravely gone for a massive cull. Now we will really find out if the grass is greener on the other side.

Certainly hope it is, because there's no Pope or Scott Brown to save us if it isn't.

I wouldn’t call it brave. It was sensible given how poor this squad has performed and that the better players are now way past their best. 

1 hour ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Still think my point is valid.... we need around 15 players... how to attract 15 better players than those we ve released is still an open question in my mind... we may get a couple of better players over the line but 15...., I hope I m wrong but can’t see it myself.

Really? It would be impressive if we managed to find 15 players worse than those let go. Just look at our recent seasons. They weren’t good enough. 

In running organisations its usually best to go for incremental change that leads to continuous improvement. Big change is usually only used when there is no real alternative; some sort of crisis. The reason for this logic is that big change carries significantly more risk of going wrong. 

But this is sport and players can flatline a club for season after season. If we kept the same squad we would get pretty much the same result next season; perhaps worse as key players age further. So if we want to move up the league transformational change is needed; but in the main better players require higher wages. In attracting them, the lessons of Bury must be learned. Everything has to remain sustainable and realistic. 

Let us face it, we will be rubbish next season.  Our longest in the lowest tier. What is DC going to pick up? Dross other teams have kicked out, I would love to buy into the DC/AF "project".  But for me it is all  talk talk and no knickers.

Another season of drift with a shouty man shouting. Bloody depressing,

5 hours ago, toyahw said:

Let us face it, we will be rubbish next season.  Our longest in the lowest tier. What is DC going to pick up? Dross other teams have kicked out, I would love to buy into the DC/AF "project".  But for me it is all  talk talk and no knickers.

😂 go back bed 

Almost sounds like you want us to fail. Bizarre really.

8 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Really? It would be impressive if we managed to find 15 players worse than those let go. Just look at our recent seasons. They weren’t good enough. 

The one where we would have got into the play offs if we had played till the end of the season not being counted?  
There’s a lot of players in those 15 who are good players but just getting on a bit starting with Pope

Jeez Stalinism is alive and well at VP.

I hoped we could move on from 'definitely would have gotten in the playoffs if not for COVID', as it's not provable.

We were outside the playoffs at the time of stopping, and there were 9 games left. We were 8 unbeaten, but 4 of those (including the final three before the stoppage) were draws, and some were tame at that. The only great performance in that run was Colchester; we snuck a win away at Northampton, were 2nd best in the draw versus Walsall etc.

We'd been 10th all season and put a bit of a run together, but we'd have had to continue the excellent, anomalous form for another 9 games without slipping up.

We could have reached the playoffs, sure, but those treating it as a formality shows a bit of recency bias because we happened to have good results just before the stoppage. It's pedantic of me but I keep reading it and there's every chance we ended up in 10th, which is where we'd been 90% of the season, and it suggests that the squad just released had been hard done by. I think the time had come for them.

Archived