onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

I myself wonder how many of the OOC players when downing tools for 3 months did so thinking that if they got their mate Pugh in charge then they'd get another contract, which they probably wouldn't have done under JA. We'll never know but if that was a factor then it's backfired spectacularly!

Advert

The only real surprise for me was Scotty Brown who at times as been fantastic and pretty consistent. For the rest I think they can be replaced with better more consistent players. My only reservation is that replacing so many players in one go means that it can take months for the squad to gel. Remember Bruno and his revolution. Not like for like I know but does illustrate the dangers. It’s done now and we must put faith in the new regime that what emerges will take us forward.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

His criticisms were fair and he's backed it up by blowing up the squad at the first opporunity.

I agree, and said as much.

Was just replying to the point that he hadn't directed any blame onto others - I thought he actually did (onto Askey in a roundabout way) during his first, winless, month.........and he then sorted it in no uncertain manner!

Surely there are some players under contract to us who have sat down over the weekend with family and friends and fully considered what they want to do? They know if they are "liked" or "wanted" by DC and need to see what other opportunities are out there for them. Players are not stupid, they will have gut feelings as to if they fit in with the "new Vale" or not and may have talked to other clubs to see if it's worth their while getting out of their contracts here?

Today's talks with these players will not be all one way BUT if they have done their homework and sussed out what their next move is to be then DC may not have to bargain too hard to rid us of a couple or so such contracted players....if that is what DC is having a mind to do.

Christ, no-one <ovf censored> "downed tools". Get a grip and have a bit of respect. Some of these players have been really loyal servants to the club and their careers may be over. I'd imagine some will be devestated and this jubilance and shitposting comes across as pretty nasty. 

39 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I myself wonder how many of the OOC players when downing tools for 3 months did so thinking that if they got their mate Pugh in charge then they'd get another contract, which they probably wouldn't have done under JA. We'll never know but if that was a factor then it's backfired spectacularly!

They either downed tools or weren’t/aren’t good enough.Either way the correct decisions have been made by the management.Players get Managers the sack.Clarke and Flitcroft haven’t given them another opportunity.

11 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Christ, no-one <ovf censored> "downed tools". Get a grip and have a bit of respect. Some of these players have been really loyal servants to the club and their careers may be over. I'd imagine some will be devestated and this jubilance and shitposting comes across as pretty nasty. 

True, I've said it before. Players don't down tools. They suffer loss of form, loss of confidence, have to play when not fully fit and have to play to how the manager wants them whether that is beneficial to them as players or not. To me there was loss of form followed by loss of confidence which is massive in respect to performance. Askey couldn't restore the confidence in his players which led to his dismissal.

Don't really get the 'really loyal servants'. They've been very well remunerated at a good club with fantastic owners to achieve a target (top 7, which they failed). They were employees who did what was stated in their contract to a good-decent standard. Pope is the only player I'd label a servant.

Brown, Joyce, Monty, a few others definitely didn't down tools, and they are welcome in Burslem anytime, but its hard to remember Mansfield away, Tranmere away, the humiliation against Kings Lynn, getting rinsed by Stoke fans daily, and fans of 50 years+ admitting to anxiety and sleepless nights as we looked likely for the drop and the end of Football League existence without a certain degree of anger/dismay.

Maybe jubilation is too far but I certainly cannot begrudge Vale fans who, after 20ish years of disappointment, recognise that the club has good people attempting to do good things, and this retained list is the start of what could be quite exciting times. I don't think anyone is celebrating the departure of those specific good lads either; just the end of what has been a dreadful spell for the club.

In my biased opinion I am beginning to suspect that this is not about what is best for Port Vale Football Club, this is just about proving a point for Clarke. I think he is quick to take the credit for success but quick to blame others if it goes wrong. We will recruit players who are clever enough to say what they think he wants to hear.

You are talking utter nonsense and your dislike for DC is clouding your judgment

1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I thought during that first month or so (until he got his first win!) he was constantly making comments that seemed to be shifting the blame and digging at Askey (without actually saying as much) - about various things such as fitness levels being nowhere near good enough, the wrong make-up of the squad (too many midfield '8's, only one for the Joyce position), only having played 4-3-3 with no alternative.

To be fair though, he was completely right and most new managers almost certainly do similar when they take over a poorly performing team.

Scott Brown was vociferous in his criticism of the recruitment under the previous manager.  As Askey had extended his contract that was a bit of an own goal!

11 minutes ago, vale victory said:

over 25 years with one finish in the top 6 of any division

The whole club needed shaking up and this is what Is happening

I know people don’t handle change well but deary me

Spot on,we can't keep having seasons like the last five,it's no good for your health.

Thankfully,the 'Deadwood Stage' has come over the hill.

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Utter rubbish. Poor recruitment, key players out injured even further highlighted the poor recruitment, loss of form and bad tactics, poor game management all played their part in that bad run. 

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think he is quick to take the credit for success but quick to blame others if it goes wrong. 

Clearly never read any post match interviews then.

You have some extremely bizarre takes on almost everything RZ.

Archived