onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Will remind people that there is ZERO correlation between having a settled squad and winning promotion in League 2.

Yes, some clubs do retain a lot of players and go up, but just as many go up with mass squad turnover.

What is more important is having good footballers, and this squad have had enough attempts at proving they're that without ever really succeeding. 

Exactly. Bolton just had half a good season. Got Doyle. He scores. Up they went. Look at our match at their place btw.

Advert

I get why there is uneasiness as it’s a huge job to replace all with better in one window. Brown, Joyce and Montano I am disappointed to lose but if better come in then we can move on and feel more positive.

In regards to Pope it was probably the right time but I am hurting for him all the same. Great servant and covid has robbed us the chance to give him the goodbye he deserves. He’s the only player in the 21st century bar the last year of Tony Naylor than you’d say could hold legend status and it is a sad day in that regard.

I hope we do get a chance to say goodbye with a testimonial game or something along those lines. Least he deserves (although if at a new club they may not allow that).

Pugh is a shock departure purely because Carol said he was here for the long term and someone they’d look to get the manager role further down the line. Big surprise that, hope it isn’t for Dutton and more for funds to keep Crosby.

Interesting now what happens with that last statement about players under contract and how many of them go too.

He doesn’t seem keen on Burgess, Taylor (big pay off) or Amoo so assume they’d be in danger and possibly Leon Legge based on how other experienced players have been culled.

Surely Worrall would be safe? Conlon, Smith, Rodney and Gibbons definitely.

But who knows after today.

58 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Tom Pope hasn't had the best of seasons, he didn't get off to the best start viz Twitter then got injured by the cowardly challenge at Sunderland but when he has played he's shown he is still among the best leaders of the line in Lge 2, knows where the net is and some of the best testimonies to the current Tom Pope as a footballer have been by commentators of other teams on iFollow. He still has at least one good season left in him.

To be honest Saturday reaffirmed to me why he was not worth another contract along with our other 30 somethings Joyce and Browny.

10 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

I know we are in to backing DC but am not sure re Dutton. Didn’t work out great for them at Walsall so he’s not for me. 

Dutton hasn't arrived so I don't know where this link has come from.

But if he does, he could be one of those brilliant coaches that can't manage.

Steve Holland was a flop managing Crewe, now he's coaching the England first team.

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A majority of players don't play effectively in their mid 30s plus. They offer no resale value and you run the risk of injuries and physical decline as they eat into valuable wages that could be spent on a younger player who could develop and make the club money.

But plenty do. It's important to have a blend of experience and younger players. 

Thankfully, I'll defer to Clarke + Flitcroft's decision on this instead of the commentary teams of other teams on iFollow.

We don't have any choice.  Given Walsall's final Lge position the squad of players recruited by DC et al at Walsall didn't do so well, granted DF was not involved. 

Pope's a legend but we can't just definitively state he had 'one more good season in him', when he's not had very prolific seasons for the last two years. 

You can't definitively state Tom Pope has not got one good season left in him either just as we can't definitively state all or even most of the new players to be bought in will perform as well or better than some of those released or even improve the starting 11. 

Popey would likely have got to double figures in league goals in the 2019/20 season if it were not for Covid.

Let's see who DC/DF bring in and judge where Vale are in November.

Understand the arguments about stability etc.

Stability comes from longer term planning, a balanced squad age-wise to begin with that we didn't have, so we're having to bite the bullet now. We're in a situation where we're having to renew the backbone of an ageing side all in one go because we put it off for a couple of summers and chose to tinker around the edges with squad players instead.

My opinion on this is that what has happened today is what many have been crying out for in an age. 

Since Adams left we have promoted from within apart from the Bruno experiment. How many of us have bemoaned about doing stuff on the cheap with an old boys network of ex players and coaches ? 

We now have people running the show on the playing side with no bias and fresh eyes and ears . This is exactly what loads of us wanted. 

I'm very sad not to be able to say goodbye to Popey, Browny and to a lesser extent Monty and Joyce. 

The rest , well footballers come and go. It's a nomadic lifestyle they lead . In the main the fanbase are unanimous that some of these players have been absolutely atrocious signings. I don't want to single names out but when they played together one of our full back combinations were the worst in living memory. 

Our owners have placed their 100% faith and trust now in these new guys. That's good enough for me. 

I'd imagine tears have been shed , Pope , a legend, Brown,a great servant both on and off the pitch. 

But our owners don't want to stand still do they , yes they will be sad but this now is a more professional and well run club. 

I renewed my two tickets last weekend at the open weekend , I can't wait now to see the players that we are able to attract. 

I trust our owners and our duo DF and DC . 

Football is cruel, we move on and hopefully the good times come back. It won't be for the want of trying. 

Archived