onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

6 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Why are you obsessed with age, plenty of footballers can still play effectively in their mid 30's plus.

Tom Pope hasn't had the best of seasons, he didn't get off to the best start viz Twitter then got injured by the cowardly challenge at Sunderland but when he has played he's shown he is still among the best leaders of the line in Lge 2, knows where the net is and some of the best testimonies to the current Tom Pope as a footballer have been by commentators of other teams on iFollow. He still has at least one good season left in him.

I never said or implied the decision was between Pope and Robinson, just comparing the two.

All Vale fans have to hope that DC/DF get the recruitment right as a "Keep out of the Nationwide Lge dogfight " happens all too quickly.

4 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Well I guess we are in the hands of DC... 

not sure where all the replacement players are coming from.... with all the coaches we have employed I would have thought we were looking to improve players not constantly change the squad each season.

how do you bring in 15 players who are better  than the players we ve released  without having any greater bargaining tools to attract them with than other league 2 clubs....

we shall see but I don’t think it will be plain sailing.

It won't be plain sailing but this is what the club has needed for a long time.  For 4 years the majority of these players have failed apart from a 2 month spell January - early March 2020 and the recent 9 match unbeaten run.  I very much doubt many of these players will get fixed up with other league clubs, I might be surprised but if we want to move forward and challenge we had to do it. 

It might mean a tricky start to next season with so many new faces but look at Bolton who signed 18 plus players, they still went up, Morecambe finished one place above the drop zone and signed 12 players in the pre season and have a chance of going up.  We will have stick together but I have faith that we finally have a manager and with Flitcroft there as well a scouting network to sign the players needed to get us back challenging, it won't happen overnight but I believe this is a step in the right direction.

I'm happy with what we've done in a sense that it's completely necessary as we are finally feeling like a club that wants to really do something again.  The proof, of course, will be in the replacements.  I am confident in the setup to get that right.

I feel sad that that's it for Tom Pope as a Vale player.  The lad has been a massive part our best times since our championship days.  Never a happy day when he leaves the club.

Hopefully he comes back one day coaching.

Brown and Joyce did well for us as well.  All the best to both of those lads, they owe us absolutely nothing.

I am sure we have the players we need targeted ! And due diligence done as we don't need ten games a season player's. It may all seem a little brutal but upto the last ten games the players never respected the owners or the fans. In DC we trust.

2 hours ago, For Us All said:

Decision probably made on age and mistakes made by Brownie and Joycey this season.Not really surprised by Popey going but as you say it's all very sad and all three will be remembered for their time at Vale Park.All the best for the future to all those players who have been released.

I'll have forgotten about Joyce in 2 days time, and Brown in about a week. The same as Chris Lines, Anthony Grant, Chris Neal and Jak Alnwick before them (who all played at a higher level for the club).

Dont get why people are complaining about releasing these players 95% of them wont get another league club im sure of it. If we are actually planning on going up we cant carry non league players. A massive rebuild was needed and im sure this wouldnt be goint on unless carol is going to be backing clarke to bring quality replacements in. Have faith. Bloody vale fans look at the negatives in everything

32 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Why are you obsessed with age, plenty of footballers can still play effectively in their mid 30's plus.

Tom Pope hasn't had the best of seasons, he didn't get off to the best start viz Twitter then got injured by the cowardly challenge at Sunderland but when he has played he's shown he is still among the best leaders of the line in Lge 2, knows where the net is and some of the best testimonies to the current Tom Pope as a footballer have been by commentators of other teams on iFollow. He still has at least one good season left in him.

I never said or implied the decision was between Pope and Robinson, just comparing.

All Vale fans have to hope that DC/DF get the recruitment right as a "Keep out of the Nationwide Lge dogfight " happens all too quickly.

A majority of players don't play effectively in their mid 30s plus. They offer no resale value and you run the risk of injuries and physical decline as they eat into valuable wages that could be spent on a younger player who could develop and make the club money.

Thankfully, I'll defer to Clarke + Flitcroft's decision on this instead of the commentary teams of other teams on iFollow.

Pope's a legend but we can't just definitively state he had 'one more good season in him', when he's not had very prolific seasons for the last two years. 

3 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Dont get why people are complaining about releasing these players 95% of them wont get another league club im sure of it. If we are actually planning on going up we cant carry non league players. A massive rebuild was needed and im sure this wouldnt be goint on unless carol is going to be backing clarke to bring quality replacements in. Have faith. Bloody vale fans look at the negatives in everything

It's because of what's come before. Years of disappointment and over-promising and under-delivering, with one brief rest-bite of promotion and that was after Adams came back from his disappointing spell at Sheff Utd. It's tough to turn that kind of thinking around.

I'm feeling positive as this doesn't feel like the last 15 years. It feels new and the way forward. We have the right owners whose priority is the wellbeing of the club and an infrastructure within the club which is clearly labelled whose responsibility is what.

This summer is going to be absolutely mad.

Will remind people that there is ZERO correlation between having a settled squad and winning promotion in League 2.

Yes, some clubs do retain a lot of players and go up, but just as many go up with mass squad turnover. It really doesn't have an effect. 

What is more important is having good footballers, and this squad have had enough attempts at proving they're that without ever really succeeding. 

'Time to gel', 'settled squad' is a bit of a cliche which we're all guilty of falling into. Good players and managers win games of football, and these players weren't good enough.

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

It's because of what's come before. Years of disappointment and over-promising and under-delivering, with one brief rest-bite of promotion and that was after Adams came back from his disappointing spell at Sheff Utd. It's tough to turn that kind of thinking around.

I'm feeling positive as this doesn't feel like the last 15 years. It feels new and the way forward. We have the right owners whose priority is the wellbeing of the club and an infrastructure within the club which is clearly labelled whose responsibility is what.

This summer is going to be absolutely mad.

I said a while back; it would appear Vale fans are understandably wary of change as previously 'change' has entailed Bruno, Smurthwaite, V2001, and myriad failures. It's hard to be trusting that this will be different. 

I am like you and, for the first time in my life, have full confidence in the owners, football executive, and manager to make a good go at transforming us for the better. There's no guarantees but it's a better path than wasting £5k+ a week on players who are most likely finished at this level because 'better to be safe than sorry'.

Archived