onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

1 minute ago, Doha said:

He'll be back eventually with the youth set I reckon. If you had a kid training at Vale who would you rather teach them to read the game and finish a header than Tom Pope? 

I wonder if he will..... Has he taken his badges while he's been playing to prepare for the future ?  I don't know if he's shown an aptitude to that side of the game but if he wants a coaching role he will need his badges.

Advert

I did say they will all be going and tbh i expect in the next couple of days they will announce who under contract have been told they can leave if they get a club
I cant see DC wanting Burgess,Whitehead or Amoo
I think you can add Legge and Robinson to that list aswell

Think you're missing the point a tad. Nobody has said we should be looking to sign established L1 players. That's ridiculous and would cost a fortune. BUT we would be able to sign younger players with the potential to become L1 quality players, rather than concentrating as we have for years on 'decent L2 quality players', mainly those who are approaching the twilight of their careers or who are old enough to be unlikely to get any better than decent at L2 level. I think you can get away with those types of players in defence, by and large, but in midfield I don't think that you can. Prime examples are Joyce, Amoo, Monty and Kay. They were all decent enough on their day, but there's a reason why they were confined to the bottom league for most of their careers. They are simply not very good. Yes, mistakes will be made and we need a few L2 established players to help develop the younger players, but haven't we already got these with the likes of Worrall and to a lesser degree Conlon?

But if you are a League Two club you will struggle to fill your squad with League One players. 

23 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

A lot of people saying Brown, Smith, Montano are excellent league 2 players...that’s right but if we have excellent league 2 players we will remain in league 2. We need better. 

Smith played 46 league games for us in L1, in a season where if Norman hadn't flogged two of our best players, we would have stayed up. Despite one bonkers and one useless manager., and an acid fuelled recruitment policy. And won the EFL Young Player of the Month, and winning player of the season, players’ player of the season, young player of the season, away fans’ player of the season and supporters’ club player of the season to boot.

And no, before Breadwinner chips in, his form has not fallen off a cliff since. In fact he's added mazy runs into the box (winning the penalty vs Bradford), swivel volley finishing and playing RB to his repertoire.

Throw in being virtually injury proof, never getting suspended and the fact that Pope and Clarke obviously rate him, and I think Smithy is the least of our worries.

I'm pretty sure that if DC didn't want him, he would have made his feelings known and derailed the negotiations

I know. Clarke said that there had been long negotiations or something like that which made me wonder if an offer pre Clarke was made.

At the end of the day it depends on who is bought into the club but I hope Carole still has deep pockets to fund the players who are thought to be better than some of those that have been released, eg Pope, Brown, Montano, Joyce and those needed to improve the starting 11.

Contracts aside, give me Tom Pope any day over Theo Robinson, IMHO it's a mistake to release Tom Pope. 

Pugh now gone too.

From odds on favourite for the permanent job to being let go.

Clarke is very keen to rebuild this club from the foundations, it seems. Sinclair seems to have vanished as well.

Dutton to come in as coach after his Walsall sacking?

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

At the end of the day it depends on who is bought into the club but I hope Carole still has deep pockets to fund the players who are thought to be better than some of those that have been released, eg Pope, Brown, Montano, Joyce and those needed to improve the starting 11.

Contracts aside, give me Tom Pope any day over Theo Robinson, IMHO it's a mistake to release Tom Pope. 

The wages those 4 you mention were on will easily afford good replacements. 3 are in their mid 30s and declining, and the other can never be relied on. I'd say the older lads were on the three biggest wages at the club, bar Legge and Worrall.

The decision isn't Theo or Tom.

Pope is a legend and will always be, it is sometimes better to go sooner than later, his hero status at the club is intact. It is now up to DC and the DoF to prove they have made the right decision over the retained list and they have the correct connections to bring the right players in to get us out of L2 .

1 minute ago, Doha said:

Didn't see that coming, I know for a fact he was heavily involved in community stuff just last week. Must have something lined up. 

Be Big Dutto I assume. Walsall fans attest he's a good coach, just couldn't manage.

Just realised you meant Pugh has something lined up. He'll be sound.

Archived