onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

This happens every preseason and is nothing new at all. They have all the players data for their weight and previous fitness stats so they have to come back within a certain percentage of those figures. They are also given a preseason training programme too which is designed to build up their fitness steadily to the first week back in July. 

According to Flicker there wasn’t any players data stats under previous regimes.

Advert

He should go one step further than fining and set out employee expectations in their contracts. Then performance manage them and fire them if appropriate.

4 minutes ago, Conrad said:

According to Flicker there wasn’t any players data stats under previous regimes.

There wasn’t any data of what each player had done over the off season in their own time during the lockdown leading into this season. These stats aren’t measured as the players don’t take their gps home with them when the season ends. However all their speed tests, endurance and weights are held on record from when they report back in preseason and these are used as a comparison throughout the season. 

9 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Tell a player what he wants to hear when you release him or tell him the truth, which might actually do him some good at his next club. Clarke believes in the truth , you werent good enough because .......   and if you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got.

A favourite of mine would be to point out that very, very few players who get released by the Vale then go on to do better things. There is a reason for that, and that reason sits firmly with the player.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the first point. I've sacked a fair number of people in my life and made a lot more redundant. I've never sacked anyone and broadcasted the reasons on local radio or in a local paper. Personally when I've had to deal with that side of business I keep it between a line manager, HR, a lawyer and the person involved. That's what I've always done because I personally feel it's the right way to deal with a situation which can be devastating for those involved.

11 minutes ago, JRC said:

I don't think anyone disagrees with the first point. I've sacked a fair number of people in my life and made a lot more redundant. I've never sacked anyone and broadcasted the reasons on local radio or in a local paper. Personally when I've had to deal with that side of business I keep it between a line manager, HR, a lawyer and the person involved. That's what I've always done because I personally feel it's the right way to deal with a situation which can be devastating for those involved.

Agreed , tell the player the truth. As regards the press then a general statement along the lines of need better quality, different skills/ blend  etc...

33 minutes ago, andy jones said:

whenever Pope comes on we immediately start playing higher up the pitch.

no one else in our squad has that ability.

Our biggest problem for some years now has been a failure to replace Pope.

It's easy to say he is past it. he has suffered from a long injury that he hasn't yet recovered full fitness from.

In fact how many players would have played on with that injury like he did?

Kevin Ellison still did us at Newport and Pope is the best option we have to come on at the death and do the same for us.

Anyway if DC let's him go he shouldn't be surprised when a lightning bolt shoots down from.the heavens and turns him to dust!

Old Sage wunner be happy.

RIP Mike.

Worked out well yesterday just as you have explained!  We actually get higher up the pitch when the others play because balls are played into the channels and the defence retreat because Robinson / Guthrie / Rodney can all run in behind which is what actually scares defenders at this level.  
The run of good results coincided with DC actually finding a way to make good use of the players at his disposal, when the common view on here was we were doomed without Tom, and yet we thrived.

Kevin Ellison is still a useful impact player because he is still quick.

ultimately DC’s decision and we will know soon, but irrespective the Pope debate will rage all summer.

3 hours ago, dishydave said:
6 hours ago, pete vale said:
I know, I'm a sentimental fool but in all honesty blokes like Tom will be "Vale" long after "Dazzler" has gone. I'd love a one year deal for him, reduced terms but get him on the staff. Another league 2 or national League team will offer him something for sure though. Here's to the future - I said that last year!!! Like I keep saying:- It's VALE - expect the unexpected!! UTV

Can he afford to accept reduced terms it's alright saying offer him less but he will still need to earn a living I doubt he's got enough money in the bank to last 40 plus years. He's got one last pay day from somewhere left in him and if I was him I would be taking it

Footballers are allowed to do other jobs when they retire. 

Yes they are but is he going take a pay cut to stay at Vale when he could earn as much as he's on now somewhere else for another year
If Pope's of the same mindset as you I think he's going to end up very disappointed. Do you really believe that with his performance levels, goal scoring and assist record, injury record, fitness level and idiocy on social media over the past 2 seasons he can demand parity with his current pay? He'd be well advised if he got any offer of a one or two year contract to take it before its withdrawn

23 minutes ago, dishydave said:
1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Yes they are but is he going take a pay cut to stay at Vale when he could earn as much as he's on now somewhere else for another year

Not sure he won't have to take a paycut. The proposed Scunthorpe deal fell through over not being able to get Vale to pay a big enough share of his wage. If Scunthorpe wouldn't pay his current wage at the start of this season I think it's safe to say his market value will be lower next. He's at the stage of his career where he won't get that many offers. If he stays he will be behind Robinson, Rodney and I'd expect a new striker. That means he'd have to be on 4th choice wages at best. I really don't see us paying 7% of the wages budget on a 4th choice striker. If the squad size increases to 22 outfield players I could see him being registered as a player, possibly with a reserve team management role. I'm 99.99% certain he won't be at the club, purely as a player, on his current wage.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I never doubted that. pope has managed local sides, is involved in the media, he may have decided to do his coaching badges, he may just want to leave the game behind altogether. I personally don't think he will and know he is "Vale" and always will be, so am I.

People seem quick to dismiss people like Tom, he may be finished as a player, he may not, truth is we don't know and don't see the goings on within the club. He did have issues with Askey, and...

Whatever the future holds for Tom, I wish him well.

Just now, pete vale said:

I never doubted that. Pope has managed local sides, is involved in the media, he may have decided to do his coaching badges, he may just want to leave the game behind altogether. I personally don't think he will and know he is "Vale" and always will be, so am I.

People seem quick to dismiss people like Tom, he may be finished as a player, he may not, truth is we don't know and don't see the goings on within the club. He did have issues with Askey, and...

Whatever the future holds for Tom, I wish him well.

Archived