onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

32 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Hurst has just been given a new contract though by a Clarke. The loan players will just go back anyway.  I agree on the majority you mention though and I’m tempted to think that Joyce could be offered something but we’ll get in another, younger, holding midfielder. I think Brisley could be the centre half to miss out as well. I’m also of the mind that Monty will go as well.  We’ve got players with another year to go on their deals that could be made available too, like Amoo, Robinson and Whitehead. 

Just because someone has a year left on their contract doesn’t mean they are guaranteed to stay. At this level the contracts are huge so if the Manager tells you that you ain’t part of his plans it makes no sense to hang around not playing games.

As for Hurst, like Taylor and Burgess he just hasn’t pushed on enough for me but Clarke sees him in training and I don’t.

Advert

For me pope has to go. Wonderful servent to the club and will forever be a legend. But is he a striker to mount a promotion push next year the answer is no. We need to move away from the pope era if the club and start working on replacing him. I believe clarke will want to get rid aswel

13 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

As for Hurst, like Taylor and Burgess he just hasn’t pushed on enough for me but Clarke sees him in training and I don’t.

Gosh, I think that's incredibly harsh. "Hasn't pushed on enough" - he made his league debut in DECEMBER! I would say he's done a lot of "pushing on" this season - going from outside of the squad to a regular squad member for a start and I would expect a rookie to be somewhat inconsistent as he adapts to a new level. 

I would imagine next season will be the time we will expect him to push on, not after just thirteen League starts.

I thought he did OK on Saturday (he did hit the bar with a screamer) and there were others who had far worse games than him - and those performances came from players who have far more League experience than him too.

1 minute ago, robf said:

Gosh, I think that's incredibly harsh. "Hasn't pushed on enough" - he made his league debut in DECEMBER! I would say he's done a lot of "pushing on" this season - going from outside of the squad to a regular squad member for a start and I would expect a rookie to be somewhat inconsistent as he adapts to a new level. 

I would imagine next season will be the time we will expect him to push on, not after just thirteen League starts.

I thought he did OK on Saturday (he did hit the bar with a screamer) and there were others who had far worse games than him - and those performances came from players who have far more League experience than him too.

I dont really agree with you here, yes his effort is there not denying that dont think hes anywhere near the level to be near the first team at the moment if were looking to go up. He needs to go out on loan and time will tell if he becomes good enough. Effort alone is not enough to cut it im afraid look at his appearances this season then look at his goal and assist contribution. 

3 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

I dont really agree with you here, yes his effort is there not denying that dont think hes anywhere near the level to be near the first team at the moment if were looking to go up. He needs to go out on loan and time will tell if he becomes good enough. Effort alone is not enough to cut it im afraid look at his appearances this season then look at his goal and assist contribution. 

I haven't said he should be first choice. I haven't said he's promotion level. My point was disagreeing with the statement he "hasn't pushed on" - what is going from the fringes of the squad to being a member of the squad and challenging if it isn't pushing on?

He's clearly a work in progress, yes, and he shouldn't be first choice right now, but I personally can see why the manager thinks he has potential and is worth keeping. I also thought he had an OK game on Saturday too.

There is no room for sentimentality in Professional football it's a hard business, not a very nice business in reality, everyone is in it for themselves *, it's a short career and it's also cut throat and there's not a lot supporters can do about it, agents, players owners are all looking to gain an advantage.

* Carol and Kevin are one of the few exceptions to the rule thankfully.

I have a problem with this one year contract. Are they that bad to only give them one year? Or they can just do one more year? If we only offer one year contracts, do players switch off half way through looking at where to go to next. Some players will not give it all they have got( we have seen that this season) there are exceptions Pope would give his all, because he loves vale, like us. But most dont give a toss. Clarke has a hard job on his hands, but he is far better placed than the managers before because of the back up.  Just hope we get it right.

41 minutes ago, robf said:

I think he’s been at the club a while now and for me he still gets bullied and looks lightweight but if Clarke thinks he can make it then I’ll back him. He was far from our worse player yesterday but I think we really need players who are more proven at this level.

I’d much prefer 18 players who are first team ready over 29 most of whom are make weights. We must have quality over quantity this time round. I think that as Askey’s biggest failure as Manager.

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Would be genuinely intrigued to know which players Clarke was referring to yesterday.

McKirdy is an obvious suspect, but the rest of the players all seem fairly alright, and Askey always liked to sign 'nice lads'. The fact Clarke referred to more than one who needed a good talking to, and hadn't had the correct lifestyle, is interesting. 

He may have just been referring to weight / fitness issues. He definitely said players would be receiving "fatness tests"!

1 minute ago, Wrex said:

He may have just been referring to weight / fitness issues. He definitely said players would be receiving "fatness tests"!

Lucky Akinfenwa doesn’t play for us then.

2 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

It certainly sounds like he's staying going from his interview in yesterday's programme.

He's staying going? He's either staying or he's going 🙃😶

I know, I'm a sentimental fool but in all honesty blokes like Tom will be "Vale" long after "Dazzler" has gone. I'd love a one year deal for him, reduced terms but get him on the staff. Another league 2 or national League team will offer him something for sure though. Here's to the future - I said that last year!!! Like I keep saying:- It's VALE - expect the unexpected!! UTV
Can he afford to accept reduced terms it's alright saying offer him less but he will still need to earn a living I doubt he's got enough money in the bank to last 40 plus years. He's got one last pay day from somewhere left in him and if I was him I would be taking it

2 hours ago, pete vale said:

I know, I'm a sentimental fool but in all honesty blokes like Tom will be "Vale" long after "Dazzler" has gone. I'd love a one year deal for him, reduced terms but get him on the staff.

Has Popey done any of his coaching badges?

2 hours ago, soothsayer said:

Just because someone has a year left on their contract doesn’t mean they are guaranteed to stay. At this level the contracts are huge so if the Manager tells you that you ain’t part of his plans it makes no sense to hang around not playing games.

Isn’t that what I said about Amoo, whitehead and Robinson in the post you quoted?

My point about hurst is that Clarke has just given him a 2 year deal.

In general though there’s some incredibly harsh some posts about hurst here. I bet he started the season with the aim of hoping to get some appearances under his belt, he’s done that and gone and earned himself a new deal in the process. That’s a good season of progress in any players book who’s new to pro football. As usual some posters just don’t understand the word progress and seem to think every player that puts the shirt on is going to be ready for pro football. Some people are just unrealistic. 

Nobody's saying Hurst is ready for the league yet especially me as I don't rate him at all but we need to give these young lads more time instead of expecting them to hit the ground running other clubs manage to develop players like Hurst and I think it's about time we start so let's see how he gets on

Archived