onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Would be genuinely intrigued to know which players Clarke was referring to yesterday.

McKirdy is an obvious suspect, but the rest of the players all seem fairly alright, and Askey always liked to sign 'nice lads'. The fact Clarke referred to more than one who needed a good talking to, and hadn't had the correct lifestyle, is interesting. 

Advert

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Would be genuinely intrigued to know which players Clarke was referring to yesterday.

McKirdy is an obvious suspect, but the rest of the players all seem fairly alright, and Askey always liked to sign 'nice lads'. The fact Clarke referred to more than one who needed a good talking to, and hadn't had the correct lifestyle, is interesting. 

IMO I thought he was referring to Pope as not having the correct life style, we all know he likes a few sherbets.

17 minutes ago, Conrad said:

IMO I thought he was referring to Pope as not having the correct life style, we all know he likes a few sherbets.

Regardless, have people got short memories with Tom? Been head and shoulders our best player for 9 years.

Clarke should treat him with the respect he deserves even if letting him go. Tom will tell him anyway.

Great interview from 'dazzler' perhaps his anger got the better of him as some things could and should stay behind closed doors.

Remember in football "You are only as good as your last game"

Time will tell.....It's VALE - expect the unexpected!!

5 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Regardless, have people got short memories with Tom? Been head and shoulders our best player for 9 years.

Clarke should treat him with the respect he deserves even if letting him go. Tom will tell him anyway.

Great interview from 'dazzler' perhaps his anger got the better of him as some things could and should stay behind closed doors.

Remember in football "You are only as good as your last game"

Time will tell.....It's VALE - expect the unexpected!!

I wasn’t knocking Pope in the slightest, I agree we would be non league already if it were not for Pope.

personally I would offer him another year as he’ll still score goals at this level, IF he’s actually played.

9 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Nah, according to some on here Pope had one good season, back in 2012/13.

(incredible really that he managed to break various records for the club, by just having that one good season!)

Just now, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Nah, according to some on here Pope had one good season, back in 2012/13.

(incredible really that he managed to break various records for the club, by just having that one good season!)

We'd have been in non league 5 years ago without Tom!!

11 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I think he will stay. Clarke mentions a balance of ages, I think legge will get another year with us and be used more sparingly and not thrown under the bus by askey making him play every minute of every match 

I thought it was pretty much certain that Legge had triggered another year contract extension when Clarke arrived and started picking him again - it certainly sounds like he's staying going from his interview in yesterday's programme.

1 minute ago, pete vale said:

We'd have been in non league 5 years ago without Tom!!

I agree with that and yes he has scored some very important goals for us BUT sadly for me his time has now come to move on,i do however hope that he returns to club in some capacity in the future

12 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I agree with that and yes he has scored some very important goals for us BUT sadly for me his time has now come to move on,i do however hope that he returns to club in some capacity in the future

Well said, agree. Lost a lot of fitness and sharpness, could put the grat in for another "Go" maybe one season.

He will know himself. Love to see him back at Vale. Remember he has been there much longer and witnessed many more highs and lows than our new gaffer and stood the test of time. deserves reward and recognition for his efforts big-time. "Feed the Pope and he WILL score""!!!

1 minute ago, pete vale said:

Well said, agree. Lost a lot of fitness and sharpness, could put the grat in for another "Go" maybe one season.

He will know himself. Love to see him back at Vale. Remember he has been there much longer and witnessed many more highs and lows than our new gaffer and stood the test of time. deserves reward and recognition for his efforts big-time. "Feed the Pope and he WILL score""!!!

He’s had the recognition of being a club legend but that Doesn’t just automatically warrant giving him a new deal when he is no longer at the right level. It be a massive backwards step for us to give him a 2 year deal now. He’s past his best, would be 4th choice and commands a high wage. I wouldn’t mind him staying for 1 season with a reduce in wage (and a coach?) but I can’t see that happening and he will have offers from non league for 2 years. Clarke wants players who are ‘fit’ and have football ‘lifestyles’ not sometime popey really has. 

Look, he’s been a legend and he’s been brilliant for this club. Everyone knows that but there comes a time where it’s best for all to move on and this is that time. 

Well we certainly got confirmation yesterday on a few players ineptitude including: McKirdy, Burgess, Olagungu, Swann, Hurst all aren’t good enough for this level never mind L1.

Add to that the fact Old Father Time has caught up with Brisley, Popey, Brown, Legge and Joyce plus other bit part players not being good enough - Whitehead, Fitzpatrick, Mills, Robinson, Cullen - and Clarke has a serious rebuilding job on. Let’s hope we recruit quality over quantity for a change.

I really hope the club can find something to reward a decade of fantastic service given by Popey as he deserves it.

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

He’s had the recognition of being a club legend but that Doesn’t just automatically warrant giving him a new deal when he is no longer at the right level. It be a massive backwards step for us to give him a 2 year deal now. He’s past his best, would be 4th choice and commands a high wage. I wouldn’t mind him staying for 1 season with a reduce in wage (and a coach?) but I can’t see that happening and he will have offers from non league for 2 years. Clarke wants players who are ‘fit’ and have football ‘lifestyles’ not sometime popey really has. 

Look, he’s been a legend and he’s been brilliant for this club. Everyone knows that but there comes a time where it’s best for all to move on and this is that time. 

I know, I'm a sentimental fool but in all honesty blokes like Tom will be "Vale" long after "Dazzler" has gone. I'd love a one year deal for him, reduced terms but get him on the staff. Another league 2 or national League team will offer him something for sure though. Here's to the future - I said that last year!!! Like I keep saying:- It's VALE - expect the unexpected!! UTV

There’s no way we should be offering someone like Pope a 2 year deal. Not at his age. Clearly it’s up to the manager if he thinks he still has something to offer us next season. I still think he has as a bit part player.  It was very interesting hearing the managers comments yesterday about the type of characters he wants in his squad and he singled out Conlon, Smith and Gibbo as the examples of players who do the right things in training,  have the right mentality, application and the desire to improve. All homegrown lads too. 

29 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I thought it was pretty much certain that Legge had triggered another year contract extension when Clarke arrived and started picking him again - it certainly sounds like he's staying going from his interview in yesterday's programme.

I think he will be staying another year BUT i do remember DC saying it was well known about Legge's clause and why he wasn't being picked but he had spoken in private to him and what was said will remain private,he then started to pick him so who knows what was agreed then

12 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Well we certainly got confirmation yesterday on a few players ineptitude including: McKirdy, Burgess, Olagungu, Swann, Hurst all aren’t good enough for this level never mind L1.

Add to that the fact Old Father Time has caught up with Brisley, Popey, Brown, Legge and Joyce plus other bit part players not being good enough - Whitehead, Fitzpatrick, Mills, Robinson, Cullen - and Clarke has a serious rebuilding job on. Let’s hope we recruit quality over quantity for a change.

I really hope the club can find something to reward a decade of fantastic service given by Popey as he deserves it.

Hurst has just been given a new contract though by a Clarke. The loan players will just go back anyway.  I agree on the majority you mention though and I’m tempted to think that Joyce could be offered something but we’ll get in another, younger, holding midfielder. I think Brisley could be the centre half to miss out as well. I’m also of the mind that Monty will go as well.  We’ve got players with another year to go on their deals that could be made available too, like Amoo, Robinson and Whitehead. 

Archived