onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

14 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I just hope that he is actually going to give any advice calmly without belittling the released players despite what he said in the post match interview.

Do you seriously believe that DC will bawl out and belittle the out going players ? 

Advert

32 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I have no problems with releasing players that have not performed as well as we hoped for any reason. I just don't like them being labelled as dead wood. That is just a derogatory term.

I would have thought it was infinitely preferable to being called f****** useless. 

Just now, Rampant Zebra said:

I really hope not but in that case why imply it in the interview. 

You seem worried how the players will react on Monday / Tuesday don't Pro footballers know the score, those that have been in 3rd gear and not applied themselves and not looked after themselves will know and understand, they are not shrinking violets, it's perhaps a good job your never in a dressing room situation if you are worried about the players feelings during the end of season contract discussions, you are following the wrong sport.

All players will be worried, they will have families to support mortgages to pay, if they have young children they could have the upset of moving schools etc. BUT all pro footballers know the score and how the football industry works.

Also I have every confidence that Port Vale Football Club under the stewardship of Carol & Co will deal with the contracts sympathetically so I wouldn't worry too much. 

12 minutes ago, blackdog said:

You seem worried how the players will react on Monday / Tuesday don't Pro footballers know the score, those that have been in 3rd gear and not applied themselves and not looked after themselves will know and understand, they are not shrinking violets, it's perhaps a good job your never in a dressing room situation if you are worried about the players feelings during the end of season contract discussions, you are following the wrong sport.

All players will be worried, they will have families to support mortgages to pay, if they have young children they could have the upset of moving schools etc. BUT all pro footballers know the score and how the football industry works.

Also I have every confidence that Port Vale Football Club under the stewardship of Carol & Co will deal with the contracts sympathetically so I wouldn't worry too much. 

You are missing my point. But I have had enough of trying to explain what I mean.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I genuinely don't think it is implied in the interview, rather I think you have inferred it from the interview given your clear (and admitted) negative feeling about DC, hence your use of words like 'patronising' and 'belittling' re how DC will conduct himself in these conversations. 

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Self filtering maybe?

long post but stick with me...

There is a reason that the Nigerian Prince scam where someone gets an email saying a Prince wants to move money to the uk and needs some help is SO outlandish and seems SO obviously fake. Why don’t they make it a little more realistic to fool more people? It’s because they don’t want people with any intelligence replying... if it were a bit more realistic more people may start the process but then twig later down the line... a colossal waste of their time... if you are daft enough to respond to that email you are daft enough to fall for the scam right through to the bit where you hand over the cash. Intelligent people self select themselves out of their list of people who may fall for it.

There is a reason that Van Halem used to ask for a Bowl of M&Ms with “Absolutely no brown ones”. It’s because their show has some very technical electrical requirements around sound and lighting. How could they get themselves comfortable that the venues all over the country had followed those requirements to the letter. By adding a request buried deep in their list of demands ... if they walked into a dressing room and saw there was a bowl of M&Ms with no brown ones, they knew everything they had asked for had been done, and they would trust the venue to have completed the technical requirements correctly. If they found a single brown M&M they would double check everything else on the list to be safe. They allowed the venues to self select which ones needed to be double checked.

Maybe DC has just signalled to any players considering joining the club that he won’t suffer fools. 

Those players that know deep down they aren’t living the life a professional footballer should will therefore avoid us like the plague and self select themselves out of joining us.

Huge win in my book.

Either that it’s you are reading too much into it.

2 hours ago, ValeCW said:

I am desperate for Legge to stay. I was confident he would be doing that. Now I have gone all scared.

All scared, which is pretty damn scared, or really only just a tiny bit scared?

To make it easier for me to visualise, on an Alton Towers scale would you say you were at the Smiler scared end of the spectrum or closer to being just Something Special Sensory Garden scared?  I'll be honest here and say that Sensory Garden scare the sh17 out of me.

5 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Trying to make himself feel better by blaming someone else when he picked the team? I get that he is passionate but he needs to work on his PR I think.

He's not "blaming" anyone, he's suggesting some aren't being professional.

Football is a hard school  and to be honest a lot of this squad is Midland Bank . This season  is an opportunity missed to go up . DC is spot on 13th for vale is not good enough. Sack the deadwood and wage stealers and move on .

On 21/03/2021 at 23:58, sinnott2spinnit said:

Sorry Dave, but I have to disagree, Rudgie was established when he adopted this approach, whereas Clarke is effectively starting from scratch.

Yes, the vast majority of us were happy when we secured the contracts of players that did so well to get close to a play off place, but there were many comments and question marks over the addition Askey “old boy” lazy signings.
I believe that the Covid situation probably made us feel a little more secure when signing up the previous seasons players, given that a lot of teams were offloading due to financial concerns over lost revenue. 

Clarke will clear out a lot of deadwood this summer.

I made this statement in March. Clarke has pinched my line.

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Self filtering maybe?

long post but stick with me...

There is a reason that the Nigerian Prince scam where someone gets an email saying a Prince wants to move money to the uk and needs some help is SO outlandish and seems SO obviously fake. Why don’t they make it a little more realistic to fool more people? It’s because they don’t want people with any intelligence replying... if it were a bit more realistic more people may start the process but then twig later down the line... a colossal waste of their time... if you are daft enough to respond to that email you are daft enough to fall for the scam right through to the bit where you hand over the cash. Intelligent people self select themselves out of their list of people who may fall for it.

There is a reason that Van Halem used to ask for a Bowl of M&Ms with “Absolutely no brown ones”. It’s because their show has some very technical electrical requirements around sound and lighting. How could they get themselves comfortable that the venues all over the country had followed those requirements to the letter. By adding a request buried deep in their list of demands ... if they walked into a dressing room and saw there was a bowl of M&Ms with no brown ones, they knew everything they had asked for had been done, and they would trust the venue to have completed the technical requirements correctly. If they found a single brown M&M they would double check everything else on the list to be safe. They allowed the venues to self select which ones needed to be double checked.

Maybe DC has just signalled to any players considering joining the club that he won’t suffer fools. 

Those players that know deep down they aren’t living the life a professional footballer should will therefore avoid us like the plague and self select themselves out of joining us.

Huge win in my book.

Either that it’s you are reading too much into it.

lol, maybe we are reading too much into it.

On the other hand Mr Mourinho always makes sure that every word he says to the media is actually meant to send a message to his players. Though in recent years it seems José's messages have been infected with self-serving excuses and boosts to his own ego.

Anyway, assuming Clarke is sending a message to players I would assume it would be aimed at those still under contract or to be offered new ones. I don't think players away from Vale would have taken too much notice from a post match interview. However Smith, Conlon, Gibbons would have heard "well done you three lads, but if you let your standards slip..."

Archived