onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

11 minutes ago, PV1993 said:

Quoting myself from two and a half months ago, just to see a difference of opinion.

The following players are under contract and, whether we like it or not, or if they are transfer listed, come the start of the season will make up part of that 22-man squad:

James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT

Leon Legge - UNDER CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT

Alex Hurst - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT

That's 12 players out of 22, so I can't see DC keeping many more players as he does like a clear-out and to bring his own players in.

Of the players that are left I would only definitely keep Cristian Montano. I would also keep Scott Brown as, as is my understanding, keepers aren't included in those 22 places although I could be wrong.

I would consider offering contracts to Tom Pope and Luke Joyce. They are good pros that could do a job for another 12 months, but would only offer reduced terms in the knowledge that they are not going to be consistent starters. If they want to stay they will stay, but if they get better offers then they would go with my best wishes.

I would keep the young kids under 21 so long as they are showing that they have potential (Scott, Campbell-Gordon etc).

I would release the rest, leaving 8-10 slots for new signings over the 21 age limit.

Joyce struggled today blowing out of his backside at times .

Pope to be fair had no service but he looked like he'd been sat with me every weekend, a few bottles and a takeaway after the game. 

I have every faith in Mr Clarke 

Advert

Football is a village, players talk to each other. If you had a choice of two clubs and one had a manager who released your best mate from years ago and treated him badly you might chose the other one. It gives no benefit to anyone to get a reputation for being nasty.

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.
Let's hope he can walk the walk like he talks the talk, we will know by Christmas I guess.

23 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

If we are going to release a player there is no need to say "you were <ovf censored> so we are getting rid of you". "Sorry we can't offer you a deal, good luck finding a club" would be just as good.

I would say he is being incredibly professional.  He has said he will give them the opportunity to say what they have done over 46 games to justify a new deal.  

He will then give constructive feedback on why he has taken the decision he has based on both their performance in the workplace and the way they are living their lives to help them with their future careers should they be fortunate enough to get another professional club in order to get the maximum out of their short careers that they can.

Yes industrial language may feature on both sides of the table.  If they were in regular jobs many would have been on under performance/disciplinary action, and would not have been fortunate enough to have been paid what is a good wage for not performing to a sufficient standard.

31 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.

It was only the ones he felt had let the club down by being less than committed with their lifestyle.

Some honest truths may be the thing that saves their career; much better than platitudes and letting them continue to waste their talents. 

6 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Football is a village, players talk to each other. If you had a choice of two clubs and one had a manager who released your best mate from years ago and treated him badly you might chose the other one. It gives no benefit to anyone to get a reputation for being nasty.

Alternatively you end up with the old pals club of Ryan Lloyd, Fitzpatrick, Whitehead etc . 

Oh yes come and play for Port Vale it's lovely, like one big reunion from our Macc days 

8 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

If they’re mates with players living a bad pro lifestyle and wouldn’t join because of that then I don’t want them here anyway.

9 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

How has he been ‘nasty’? He’s just being honest.  He has given every player he could a chance even the likes of whitehead have had a really fair go. It’s not his fault they’re not good enough / not interested. Get them all gone and start a fresh with this new recruitment model which sounds leaps ahead of anything the club has been doing for years.

We don’t want those kind of players at the club anyway, we have had to many players who seem all pally with the managers. It’s a football team and at the end of a day a business where they are paid to do a good job not be best friends and want to go out for meals with the manager  

I love the honesty from Clarke it’s a breath of fresh air and something we needed. He’s proven himself this season it’s a shame some of the players he has given plentiful chances to haven’t followed suit. That is their fault not his.  

11 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:
35 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Let's hope he can walk the walk like he talks the talk, we will know by Christmas I guess.

I’d say he’s already proven in his short spell that he is more than capable of this role and that he’s a much better manager than our last few! (Not difficult) 

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

Get yourself down to Hanley Town if you want familiar faces, I would rather see a hungry new squad pushing for promotion, even if I have never heard of many of them before

Actually this summer Hanley Town have done a big thing about getting in a new squad of (relatively) expensive players/management lol

5 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Actually this summer Hanley Town have done a big thing about getting in a new squad of (relatively) expensive players/management lol

How have Hanley Town managed to afford all these players they’re signing?

4 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

As others have said, time will tell. I don't like the way he came across in his interview. He has done OK so far but we will see in August I guess.

I think you're getting a bit carried away. He said he'd enjoy telling one or two a few home truths, he didn't say he'd be telling each and every one of them to get <ovf censored>.

Archived