onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

It will certainly be interesting.

Of the forwards our best players are WorralI and Rodney. Rodney doesn't really fit into a squad playing wing backs and I'm not sure Worrall will be happy playing a whole season as a wing back. It probably suits Monty more who people think will be released.

At the back I think the keeper is either past it or very short on confidence. Of the central defenders Legge is the main man and is getting on. I think both Smith and Brisley are ok as long as they have a main man to play alongside.

In midfield Joyce is getting on, Conlon looks good in a 3, I think Burgess is ok in a 3 but I am sure plenty will disagree. Can Hurst do a job there? If played wide I think he looks better if he doesn't have to do the defensive work.

Lots of work this summer.

Advert

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am not comparing them, just saying that it is easy to spend lots of money getting players who perform no better. 

So keep a load of underperforming players who the vast majority would rather not associate with / are more likely to dissuade people from buying season tickets.

Get yourself down to Hanley Town if you want familiar faces, I would rather see a hungry new squad pushing for promotion, even if I have never heard of many of them before

13 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Think you've got it spot on there.

"good in the dressing room" was a bit of a veiled compliment. James Corden would probably be good in the dressing room.

I thought the same. 

He was openly asked about a legend's potential last game for the club and the biggest compliment he could give was he was 'good in the dressing room' (I read that as he's good for jokes, morale etc.) Bar that, he could only say he'd struggled for fitness since his injury. It was very sparse on compliments.

It's a stark contrast to the three other local lads he was effusive in praising. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it certainly didn't strike me as Clarke being upset he had to release him.

It is a gamble. We have players who have performed recently, see our unbeaten run. Get rid of 4 or 5 players and get some better ones to replace them would be the sensible approach in my view. We could get rid of more and offer contracts to some but they might decide to leave because they get better offers and/or their mate has left. Meanwhile we offer contracts to replacements but they get better offers from elsewhere after turning us down. Then we end up in the bargain sales again.

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

It is a gamble. We have players who have performed recently, see our unbeaten run. Get rid of 4 or 5 players and get some better ones to replace them would be the sensible approach in my view. We could get rid of more and offer contracts to some but they might decide to leave because they get better offers and/or their mate has left. Meanwhile we offer contracts to replacements but they get better offers from elsewhere after turning us down. Then we end up in the bargain sales again.

As he says in his interview they have been planning recruitment for a while now i expect swift signings during the summer a mass clear out is needed and im pretty sure they will have mapped out all the viable signings we are going to try and make already

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

As he says in his interview they have been planning recruitment for a while now i expect swift signings during the summer a mass clear out is needed and im pretty sure they will have mapped out all the viable signings we are going to try and make already

This is brilliant. 

Planning recruitment before the season finishes. Yes! Buzzing.

33 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

I have no great knowledge on this, only what I have picked up on here, but if a player is offered a contract does he then not have a month to say yes or no? If that is the case then you cannot really go recruiting with a blank piece of paper as you might need to hold off until until you have an answer.

If DC has targets in mind then I imagine he will release everyone he can, otherwise he may miss out on them if he has to wait a month.

It will be easy if none are offered deals

20 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Class interview that is from clarke. No nonsense knows what he wants i have full confidence that with him in charge we will be battling towards the top of the table next season

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.
Oh FFS.....

29 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Perhaps there will be other clubs with the same players in mind?

On 26/02/2021 at 17:06, PV1993 said:

Players under contract are:

James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT

That's 10 players out of the 20 we're allowed over the age of 21 (I believe that's the right age barrier). Whether I would keep those players or not, those are the ones we are stuck with going forward. Which means we have to be clever about the remaining 10 spots.

We need a goalkeeper. There has been a lot of arguments this season regarding Scott Brown. Personally he's still one of the best keepers in the division. If the management team think they can find better, then release - but I would offer him a contract. Any back up has to be a young keeper because we can't really afford to waste another spot on someone who is going to warm the bench. The only way I think this could be different is if Brown starts coaching and becomes player coach and is more of a back up. At least that way we get more out of two over aged keepers.

For the rest of the squad I would definitely only keep:

• Alex Hurst - Young and showing enough that he deserves a place.
  • Cristian Montano - Love him as a full back and can change a game.
  • Kurtis Guthrie - I know he's yet to score but he is working hard and, as a team player, has been more effective that any of the other central strikers (Rodney has always been better in a wide position)

That leaves another 7 spots to fill, so the following players are a maybe:

• Scott Brown (See reasons above)
  • Tom Scott - not sure how old he will be
  • Ryan Campbell-Gordon - young enough, just depends if that coaching staff deem him to be good enough.
  • Luke Joyce - Good player but is advancing in age.
  • Tom Pope - Again, good player in his day but isn't getting any younger. If he is on a good wage I would give him a year as I agree with previous comments that he is still effective at holding the ball up and can score.

Leaving the following players to be released:

• Mark Cullen - too injury prone
  • Zak Mills - not done it here. There must be something to him as Oldham liked him but we haven't seen it. I don't think he's as awful as people make out and has a goal in him BUT he is too prone to a defensive lapse that usually gets punished.
  • Shaun Brisley - we have enough defenders that can defend but can't actually play football.
  • Dino Visser - Just no room for two older keepers, unless we go down the coaching route I previously mentioned - but if so I think we would need better to justify it.
  • Harry McKirdy - even if he was involved he can literally only play in an advanced no. 10 position which, with restrictions, we cannot afford.
  • David Fitzpatrick - has been a steady eddie but we need better if we want to push on.
  • Daniel Trickett-Smith - not proven anything at this level.
  • Leon Legge - I still think he is our best centre half but he is aging in years and we cannot just have dominant centre halves, we need some that can play too - and we already have Smith. But if contract rumours are true we may still have him, which wouldn't be awful but would take up another space.
  • Manny Oyeleke - Cracking player when he plays but that's not often enough unfortunately. If he can play until the end of the season without getting injured and prove his fitness then he would be a maybe.
  • Adam Crookes - Not attacking enough for a left back. Not strong enough as a centre half. Can only really play on the left of a back three and even then his distribution is poor.

Of the players under contract I would try to move Robinson and Whitehead on but we may not have a choice so as of right now they're in.

Quoting myself from two and a half months ago, just to see a difference of opinion.

The following players are under contract and, whether we like it or not, or if they are transfer listed, come the start of the season will make up part of that 22-man squad:

James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT

Leon Legge - UNDER CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT

Alex Hurst - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT

That's 12 players out of 22, so I can't see DC keeping many more players as he does like a clear-out and to bring his own players in.

Of the players that are left I would only definitely keep Cristian Montano. I would also keep Scott Brown as, as is my understanding, keepers aren't included in those 22 places although I could be wrong.

I would consider offering contracts to Tom Pope and Luke Joyce. They are good pros that could do a job for another 12 months, but would only offer reduced terms in the knowledge that they are not going to be consistent starters. If they want to stay they will stay, but if they get better offers then they would go with my best wishes.

I would keep the young kids under 21 so long as they are showing that they have potential (Scott, Campbell-Gordon etc).

I would release the rest, leaving 8-10 slots for new signings over the 21 age limit.

17 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Jesus christ come on mate 

Archived