onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

All very well saying get rid of all the players but the team needs some continuity for the fans to identify with. 

He was kind of saying that though - later on he praised Conlon and Smith (and to a degree Pope) saying that they were good examples and had the right attitude. He's saying he wants a core of professionals like that.

Advert

3 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

All very well saying get rid of all the players but the team needs some continuity for the fans to identify with. 

The local lads of Conlon, Gibbons, and Smith will do.

I don't fancy identifying with many of this squad. I identify with Port Vale Football Club, not the employees of 2020-2021.

Would prefer to identify with promotion tbqhwy.

What a load of tosh. Continuity of the mediocrity and at times downright travesty? Vale are Vale. Whichever 11 is on the pitch come next season, you won't hear one fan lamenting that they don't recognise the players so long as we're winning

1 minute ago, robf said:

He was kind of saying that though - later on he praised Conlon and Smith (and to a degree Pope) saying that they were good examples and had the right attitude. He's saying he wants a core of professionals like that.

He said Tom was good in the dressing room.  Wonder if he was being referred to in the way they live their lives though, which he mentioned a few times.

Hearts as big as lions but have they got the quality possibly Brisley and Joyce?

After a difficult season and getting out of the habit of travelling miles every Saturday it is important to retain enough of the squad for people to identify with. Don't want to spend half another season watching a load of strangers trying to gel. I still haven't forgotten the Bruno experience. 

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

After a difficult season and getting out of the habit of travelling miles every Saturday it is important to retain enough of the squad for people to identify with. Don't want to spend half another season watching a load of strangers trying to gel. I still haven't forgotten the Bruno experience. 

How on earth can you compare Clarke to Bruno.  Proper recruitment  and a proper pre season bonding.  Many of the promotion squad were new to the club

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I'm not bothered about identifying with the players.

I want to win games and promotion. 

Squad turnover has no correlation with success. Just as many teams who do mass clear outs do well as the teams who barely change. 

5 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

The fans will identify with players regardless how long they’ve been here who are winners and will give their all at all times for the club. Looking at the out of contract players there are not many of them you can say that for and I’m glad DC is clearly prepared to look at this ruthlessly.

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

He said Tom was good in the dressing room.  Wonder if he was being referred to in the way they live their lives though, which he mentioned a few times.

Hearts as big as lions but have they got the quality possibly Brisley and Joyce?

Think you've got it spot on there.

"good in the dressing room" was a bit of a veiled compliment. James Corden would probably be good in the dressing room.

2 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

How on earth can you compare Clarke to Bruno.  Proper recruitment  and a proper pre season bonding.  Many of the promotion squad were new to the club

I am not comparing them, just saying that it is easy to spend lots of money getting players who perform no better. 

Two players I identify with were here for one season only and the other one a season and a bit 

Bobby Newton and Gareth Ainsworth. 

Both winners , both wholehearted players who gave their all. And a winning mentality. 

That's what I want to identify with. 

I have no great knowledge on this, only what I have picked up on here, but if a player is offered a contract does he then not have a month to say yes or no? If that is the case then you cannot really go recruiting with a blank piece of paper as you might need to hold off until until you have an answer.

If DC has targets in mind then I imagine he will release everyone he can, otherwise he may miss out on them if he has to wait a month.

Just now, Tony Rodriguez said:

I have no great knowledge on this, only what I have picked up on here, but if a player is offered a contract does he then not have a month to say yes or no? If that is the case then you cannot really go recruiting with a blank piece of paper as you might need to hold off until until you have an answer.

If DC has targets in mind then I imagine he will release everyone he can, otherwise he may miss out on them if he has to wait a month.

Think you can count on maybe one finger the amount of contracts offered . 

Archived