onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

So, simply because I don't rate Pope and feel compelled to respond to the repeated hysteria, untruths and downright bizarre comments (like the one that claimed he'd be scoring 15+ in the Bundesliga even now) regarding him, I hate him and am jealous? If it pleases you to think that, you crack on bud.

IThe underlying theme of this and other posts 
Your strange hatred of everything Pope
Thats why you need help
Jealousy is not a nice trait

Advert

18 hours ago, philmpv said:

If it was literally any other player but Pope it wouldn't even be in question. His goal and assist output over the past 2 years since he got his fat new contract has been pathetic (particularly if you take out the penalties). At 36, he's not going to get any better. We've played much better and got better results since he has been out of the team over the past 2 seasons. His impact on games when coming on as a sub has been negligible (certainly from a pure change of result perspective). So many people unable to let go. The sooner he's gone the better for me. Mark my words, once he has, we'll see a huge upswing in both results and performance.

John Askey and now,Darrell Clarke have realised that Pope is a back number.Our style of play has improved without him.I,along with others,am sick of seeing ale house football pandering to a player who scores very few,assists very few and is unable to play 2 games a week due to being grossly overweight and totally unfit.Thankyou Tom for 2012/13 but that was nearly a decade ago.Another season at the Vale would be an embarrassment to both club and player.Younger,fitter and less expensive please.People have  been talking about a testimonial.I mentioned this at the time Bury came in for him as a way of keeping him at the club.He chose the Bury shilling but couldn’t wait to get back when he was surplus at Bury,transfer listed by Flitcroft,and had a financial settlement to do so.In theory his testimonial was paid for by Bury who have paid the ultimate price for overpaying players and not what they are worth.Time for a big change and some attractive football.

7 hours ago, JRC said:

We are happy to see the salary cap ditched but not the financial fair play cap. That keeps our budget at 1.8 million. As a club we are voting for that to be spread over 22 outfield players plus goalkeepers.  In reality that leaves our budget where it is and in all probability pretty much our current sized squad. The cap that is being removed is the fixed one for all clubs; the one based on percentage of turnover will remain. We aren't able to spend that much more next season than this.

Unless changed the Fair Play cap had a few caveats if a club owner wanted to "get around it", one being sponsorship... hence FGR for example and Mansfield spend big despite being smaller clubs as their shirts are sponsored by the owners companies... like ours are now so many get around it with that or Stadium Sponsorships.

Plus owners can put money in as long as its donated towards the figure IIRC hence the Salford case.

Not saying they will or should but could possibly get around that if they wished, however when I say I think we will invest more its from a low base, what I mean is I think they will invest properly rather than freebies from Macclesfield Town or players released from Barrow or something like the past.

They were prepared to invest last season in Maynard for example and the days of being cheap like under Smurf and V2001 I think will have passed, we are one of the biggest in the division (aside from Bolton and possibly Bradford and Tranmere) so expect we will flex muscles to our size which we hadnt under Norman in most cases rather than overspend like say Mansfield/Salford.

10 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Would be a good move. Playing against the old firm. One of my favourites ended up in Scotland, Cardle. Although he seems to have wasted his career. Well it appears that way. Do any of you know if he has been the star man ?.

2 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Unless changed the Fair Play cap had a few caveats if a club owner wanted to "get around it", one being sponsorship... hence FGR for example and Mansfield spend big despite being smaller clubs as their shirts are sponsored by the owners companies... like ours are now so many get around it with that or Stadium Sponsorships.

Plus owners can put money in as long as its donated towards the figure IIRC hence the Salford case.

Not saying they will or should but could possibly get around that if they wished, however when I say I think we will invest more its from a low base, what I mean is I think they will invest properly rather than freebies from Macclesfield Town or players released from Barrow or something like the past.

They were prepared to invest last season in Maynard for example and the days of being cheap like under Smurf and V2001 I think will have passed, we are one of the biggest in the division (aside from Bolton and possibly Bradford and Tranmere) so expect we will flex muscles to our size which we hadnt under Norman in most cases rather than overspend like say Mansfield/Salford.

Last season we would have met our cap under FFP. We met our cap under the budget limit for this season because a number of players wages who were already signed counted at a lower rate. There will not be a significant increase in our wage budget because we are already operating at about that level. We have a number of well paid players coming to the end of their deals, which will free up some wages. The issue for a number of seasons hasn't been the wage budget; it has been legacy players on high wages new managers haven't wanted to keep. When it came down to it with Maynard Mansfield were able to pay more. With hindsight we dodged a bullet as it looks like he carried on for one season more than his sell by date.

53 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I guess it shortens the conversations on Monday. Maybe there had been discussions on a reduced deal and his agent has found him an alternative. There is a definite lack of reasonable left sided players at this level. Good luck to him if he moves.

12 minutes ago, JRC said:

I guess it shortens the conversations on Monday. Maybe there had been discussions on a reduced deal and his agent has found him an alternative. There is a definite lack of reasonable left sided players at this level. Good luck to him if he moves.

I hope he doesn’t, but that’s football

28 minutes ago, JRC said:

I think Monty will know now he isn't being offered a deal

33 minutes ago, JRC said:

Last season we would have met our cap under FFP. We met our cap under the budget limit for this season because a number of players wages who were already signed counted at a lower rate. There will not be a significant increase in our wage budget because we are already operating at about that level. We have a number of well paid players coming to the end of their deals, which will free up some wages. The issue for a number of seasons hasn't been the wage budget; it has been legacy players on high wages new managers haven't wanted to keep. When it came down to it with Maynard Mansfield were able to pay more. With hindsight we dodged a bullet as it looks like he carried on for one season more than his sell by date.

There seems to be that vicious circle when clubs are underperforming. The managers come and go quickly and as a result there's a backlog of the former guy's (and in some cases the one before that) signings. That in turn, means the new bloke can't ring the changes as much as he likes and is himself under pressure and in some cases that can then spell the end of his reign too and the circle continues.

For instance, never mind John Askey and Neil Aspin, we've still got three Michael Brown signings in the squad. 

1 hour ago, ValeCW said:

Would be a good move. Playing against the old firm. One of my favourites ended up in Scotland, Cardle. Although he seems to have wasted his career. Well it appears that way. Do any of you know if he has been the star man ?.

Scott Tanser has played consistently in the Scottish Prem since leaving us.

Cardle looks to have carved out a steady 2nd tier Scottish career.

All the very best to Monty and sad if he does leave BUT I question if the story is true. Possibly generated by his agent to use as a negotiating tactic.

The Vale management were very clear yesterday, Carole, DF, Colin Garlic and DC have had a united front and are not giving anything away to anyone.  DC thinks its important to sit down with all the players on Monday to discuss the future including players under contract. Keeping a wall of silence allows them to do that.

21 minutes ago, MBE said:

All the very best to Monty and sad if he does leave BUT I question if the story is true. Possibly generated by his agent to use as a negotiating tactic.

The Vale management were very clear yesterday, Carole, DF, Colin Garlic and DC have had a united front and are not giving anything away to anyone.  DC thinks its important to sit down with all the players on Monday to discuss the future including players under contract. Keeping a wall of silence allows them to do that.

I'd tend to agree. He may have decided he wasn't getting a contract, or got a better offer, or feel we might be going to offer less or it could be an agent negotiating tactic. I've had some limited social dealings with the owner and I know people who have been friends with her for a number of years. My belief is she is a very honest lady. My impression is rather than being untruthful she wouldn't comment. Bottom line is her money comes from a business where major banks and other organisations have to trust her integrity. If she has said negotiations will start on Monday I'd be very certain that is the case.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

If a club have approached his agent surely it would make sense for him and his agent to at least have a discussion with them if he doesn't know if we are going to offer him a contract.

Archived