onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

We absolutely need one. Brisley is all well and good when you're protecting a lead, but I want more than a 'Ave it' central defender. Same with Joyce. It's all well and good saying oh he's a holding midfielder but, defensive minded or not, in my book, the least a central midfielder should be capable of is actually passing a ball forward. Joyce struggles to do this even over 5 yards

I think we will be in the market for a ball playing centre half. 

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I think we will be in the market for a ball playing centre half. 

Would love one too but I just don't they exist in L2. I can't say I have seen a pure CB for any team this year who I thought was good on the ball. Certainly no better than Legge.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

We absolutely need one. Brisley is all well and good when you're protecting a lead, but I want more than a 'Ave it' central defender. Same with Joyce. It's all well and good saying oh he's a holding midfielder but, defensive minded or not, in my book, the least a central midfielder should be capable of is actually passing a ball forward. Joyce struggles to do this even over 5 yards

We weren’t protecting a lead today and Brisley was motm again, maybe I’m old school but IMO the main objective for a defender is to stop the other team scoring, so mission accomplished over the last few games.

I'm not saying he's not someone we need but surely you can agree that creativity starts at the back, whether it's your keeper finding his own men, or the defence. Brown's goal kicks are crap, so that leaves the defenders. Not one of them can do anything but launch it aimlessly, when it always comes back and, I'm sorry to say, Brisley is the worst. Add into the equation that he's so one footed that he makes Crookes look like Messi on the ball, and I see need for a different approach. Our creativity is shocking, and that starts at the back, and to have not 1 central defender that is comfortable on the ball has, and will continue to, cause us major issues. God, for the days of Dean Glover!

We weren’t protecting a lead today and Brisley was motm again, maybe I’m old school but IMO the main objective for a defender is to stop the other team scoring, so mission accomplished over the last few games.

Just thinking on some of the comments on defenders launching the ball anywhere, I remember when Simon Mills joined us ! Absolutely astounded when he used to nutmeg the forward and then place a inch perfect pass to one of our players. We thought to ourselves who is this man! A true footballer at right back he was outstanding and he could cross a ball. 

I personally think Joyce is crucial, our results without him show this. We nearly always lose. He ticks the game over, breaks up play and gets us moving again.

His job isn’t necessarily to be the forward playing midfielder that’s why he’s CDM and you have 2 in front the play that role. If we go 3-5-2 I think he’s dead cert for a new deal.

Brisley is changing my mind too. He’s had a run of games and is outstanding. Really difficult job now for Clarke. I said you let him or Crookes go to bring in a
Young ball player but Crookes is versatile and Bris is a rock so it’s tricky.

Guess the squad cap will dictate on a couple of the lads.

I still look at the 'out of contract' list and wouldn't mind seeing them all go.

The only debatable ones are Brown, Brisley, and Montano, and even then I'm not convinced about any of them. I'd keep Brisley over the other two if I had to make a choice. You could make an argument for Joyce but there's replacements out there with much better distribution or physicality. 

The rest I don't think there's much to discuss; they're either not very good or too old and need replacing. 

If we can settle with Robinson and Whitehead, even better.

47 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I personally think Joyce is crucial, our results without him show this. We nearly always lose. He ticks the game over, breaks up play and gets us moving again.

His job isn’t necessarily to be the forward playing midfielder that’s why he’s CDM and you have 2 in front the play that role. If we go 3-5-2 I think he’s dead cert for a new deal.

Brisley is changing my mind too. He’s had a run of games and is outstanding. Really difficult job now for Clarke. I said you let him or Crookes go to bring in a

We need a player who does Joyce’s job, in his same style, but not necessarily him. A Joyce 2.0 is going to be a key signing this summer.

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

I just haven't seen that Joyce this season. He looks slow, cumbersome and error prone. He's been a good servant for us but I think he needs replacing this summer.

I personally think Joyce is crucial, our results without him show this. We nearly always lose. He ticks the game over, breaks up play and gets us moving again

I hate that argument, because it completely ignores the fact that we have lost a hell of a lot with Joyce too. It also demonstrates the insular view that a lot of Vale fans seem to have (that the world ends at the horizon). If there's not younger and much better than Joyce available this summer then football in this country is in a very sorry state. Most of this division manage perfectly well without Luke Joyce in their side, and we'll be no different if he goes now that we have a proper recruitment plan in place.

2 minutes ago, dishydave said:

Only Scott brown for me all though I'm starting to like Guthrie but not so much as to offer him a contract. Brisley has been solid in the unbeaten run but we need better.

None of us would be human if we hadn't had our head turned since Newport, but I'm with you. 

It's hard to feel sympathy if a lot are shown the door. I'm sure one or two have possibly swayed Clarke but he won't fall into the trap of keeping a majority. 

It's not beyond possibility that at least 4 or5 of yesterday's team could be shown the exit . 

Archived