onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

On 11/04/2021 at 18:58, Conrad said:

I would have thought any player nearing the end of their contracts would be thinking in advance “ do I want to be here next season? If I’m offered a new contract will I take it or should I look elsewhere” their minds must already be made up before the season ends.

I suppose they are second guessing what that offer might be, is it enough ? Due to squad reductions and Covid affected finances probably a very different Summer for alot of players. Can see plenty out of contract and no club. When supply exceeds demand prices fall, although decent players will still command a premium.

3 minutes ago, llcoolj said:

I'd be very surprised to see Tom Pope in a Vale shirt again, he doesn't fit the recruitment policy at all. He's been a great player but it's time to move on and why would the club want him in a coaching capacity? 

does pope even want to be a coach? has he done his badges? that’s down to him. he may feel he has a year or so left in him so i’m sure he will look to play for a club who will give him game time. personally i think he’s done at Vale and fans are finding it hard to let go (which is understandable) he’s not the player he was but a league below he’d do well for a club and help them get back into the league and i’m sure conference clubs and conference north clubs will be looking at him. He’s not a 36 year old who looks after himself and looks agile and fit. that’s just not him. seeing him lately from pics online he looks like he’s packed on the pounds since he’s been injured 

15 hours ago, llcoolj said:

I'd be very surprised to see Tom Pope in a Vale shirt again, he doesn't fit the recruitment policy at all. He's been a great player but it's time to move on and why would the club want him in a coaching capacity? 

He's still the best striker on our books as of right now, the one likely to score the most goals if given a run of games and half decent service. Despite his age.

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
9 minutes ago, Beech said:
So who do we have that's better? 

Rodneys scored more in 1 season than pope has in 2.

He's not a striker though. He may end up there but right now he's far better off out wide where he's not getting fondled and groped all game by two 6'4 centre-backs.

I'd certainly still fancy Pope to convert a chance over Guthrie and Robinson, even if both have somewhat improved their performance levels of late.

We'll have to respectfully disagree I think

He's not a striker though. He may end up there but right now he's far better off out wide where he's not getting fondled and groped all game by two 6'4 centre-backs.
I'd certainly still fancy Pope to score a chance over Guthrie and Robinson, although both have somewhat improved their performance levels of late.

1 minute ago, Eddie Ford said:

Why’s he not even making the bench then? Saving him for next season?

He's coming back from injury. But Guthrie and Robinson have performed decently of late so he'll have to wait for his chance like anyone else would.

1 hour ago, Beech said:

So who do we have that's better? 

Not the point, looking ahead to next season he doesn't fit the criteria that the manager and DOF are planning. He's probably better on one leg than Guthrie and Robinson but I'd hope we will be signing better than Guthrie and we're stuck with Robinson unless he can be offloaded

6 minutes ago, llcoolj said:

Not the point, looking ahead to next season he doesn't fit the criteria that the manager and DOF are planning. He's probably better on one leg than Guthrie and Robinson but I'd hope we will be signing better than Guthrie and we're stuck with Robinson unless he can be offloaded

I wouldn't be looking to keep any of them. But if Pope remained as a 3rd of 4th choice striker I'd be okay with that.

On 11/04/2021 at 09:55, valiant steve said:

I'd keep Brown, Smith, Gibbo, Monty, Conlon, Worrall (best player we have) Taylor, Pope.

Possibly Legge.

I'd add a reserve keeper, a LB, a RB, two CB, two CM, two wingers, two strikers. 

That's 20, which may be all we can have, depending on the latest developments on the rules.

Then whatever youngsters we fan add with potential. 

I'm not sure Tom Conlon will stay on his current contact if the numbers published are correct?

Archived