onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Bearing in mind Pope hasn't featured since January and was arguably a bit part player up to then what are you basing keeping him on ?

By the way I'm no Pope basher I was praying he'd get fit prior to this winning run.

I'm trying to mind read Clarke, Pope yet to feature for him, only 5 games left and 36 in August. It's a big ask to expect Clarke to want to keep a player based on his past 

I think he could still offer a lot when fit again, which he clearly isn't yet. 

Advert

May have more than one club making offers, time to  improve the offer since a club only offered a cheeky bid.  Doubt if much is not negotiable , except the transfer window.
My point is that it gives complete power to the player and doesn't benefit the Club at all. No doubt it's a PFA thing

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
May have more than one club making offers, time to  improve the offer since a club only offered a cheeky bid.  Doubt if much is not negotiable , except the transfer window.

My point is that it gives complete power to the player and doesn't benefit the Club at all. No doubt it's a PFA thing

Its a legal requirement, people have to be given time to consider a contract.

That's rubbish, with all due respect. There's no parliamentary law that dictates that there has to be a certain amount of time to leave a contract offer open. That's why I think it must be a PFA thing that is written into the laws of the game

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

That's rubbish, with all due respect. There's no parliamentary law that dictates that there has to be a certain amount of time to leave a contract offer open. That's why I think it must be a PFA thing that is written into the laws of the game

Phil, there is a cooling off period for any contract.

Phil, there is a cooling off period for any contract.
That's not the issue. A cooling off period allows a party to exit a valid contract once signed/agreed without repercussion. My point is that a contract offer should be able to be withdrawn at any point before its terms are agreed, as is the case in general contract law, but isn't in football. I'm just trying to understand the reason behind it, as it only benefits the player by not permitting a contract offer to be withdrawn for such a length of time. Let's be honest, most contracts at our level will be standardised and additional required clauses just cut and pasted as necessary

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

That's not the issue. A cooling off period allows a party to exit a valid contract once signed/agreed without repercussion. My point is that a contract offer should be able to be withdrawn at any point before its terms are agreed, as is the case in general contract law, but isn't in football. I'm just trying to understand the reason behind it, as it only benefits the player by not permitting a contract offer to be withdrawn for such a length of time. Let's be honest, most contracts at our level will be standardised and additional required clauses just cut and pasted as necessary

Case law says any job offer should have a reasonable time for consideration. 30 days isn't required and is unusual, its normally 48 hours to a week. Footballers give up a lot of rights that Fixed Term Contract employees have enjoyed in their contracts under 2002 Fixed Term Contract regulations. Football contracts can be withdrawn once the acceptance time has passed, as we did with Marshall and as a normal business would do after their acceptance period has past. Theoretically Vale could try reducing the contract consideration period (not do away with it completely), but the PFA could tie the club in knots, as generally a released player is going to be replaced by a new player as the job of rightback would still exist. That would still constitute unfair dismisal for any Fixed Term employee released at the end of their contract who had been at the club for 2 or more years.

I would have thought any player nearing the end of their contracts would be thinking in advance “ do I want to be here next season? If I’m offered a new contract will I take it or should I look elsewhere” their minds must already be made up before the season ends.

Player coach role in my view for Popey. Invest in him to bring Rodney on and the payback will be loads. 
I think we all want to see Pope at the club in some way or another but I think hes got another good season left in him where he can earn a good wage especially in the national league

6 hours ago, philmpv said:

One thing I've always wondered is why players have to be given a certain amount of time to decide whether to accept or reject a new contract offer (I think it's a month, though could be wrong)? Surely the Club should be able to say here's the offer, take it or leave it, we need to plan for next season so you have a week at most.

It's so the agent has time to stir up the waters and play clubs out against each other. How would they manage that in a day or two? 

On 11/04/2021 at 19:31, dishydave said:

I think we all want to see Pope at the club in some way or another but I think hes got another good season left in him where he can earn a good wage especially in the national league

He's been a fantastic servant (minus the past 2 years) but I think its time he moved on. I'm sure he could get one last payday for a team with ambitions to get out of National League.

I would be very happy to see him back with the youth team, its always good to have someone who has been there and done it. I just hope we don't have a clamour for him to become the manager like we have had for previous legends.

On 11/04/2021 at 19:51, Danish Valiant said:

It's so the agent has time to stir up the waters and play clubs out against each other. How would they manage that in a day or two? 

A player who would be daft to immediately take the first offer the club give him.  Why shouldn’t they be given the chance assess the offer and to find out what’s out there? It’s a totally different market to me or you looking for a job, because they have a very small window to find somewhere else if they want to move for whatever reason or decide to take the offer on the table. Given the fact it’s such a short career I don’t blame them one bit. 

10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

A player who would be daft to immediately take the first offer the club give him.  Why shouldn’t they be given the chance assess the offer and to find out what’s out there? It’s a totally different market to me or you looking for a job, because they have a very small window to find somewhere else if they want to move for whatever reason or decide to take the offer on the table. Given the fact it’s such a short career I don’t blame them one bit. 

But they earn what most do in a long career. 

Archived