onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

1 hour ago, JRC said:

I'm sure Pope will be offered a contract ... not necessarily as a player. You heard it here first 😉

He will be offered a coaching role as we don't have enough coaches to put a coaching squad for a reserve league b team.  🤣

Advert

I think the club has been more than fair to our players under our new owners, not all that fairness has been reciprocated. I am sure that both DC and DF will be hopefully making all the right decisions to ensure we have a balanced and fit squad capable of challenging at the right end of the table 

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Fine if it comes off, what happened to Grimsby and Southend?  We are in safe hands for a change.

Trust Flitcroft. Carol does. 

I've had twenty years of this sh!te. I don't want it to continue because there's a chance it goes wrong.

We're better run than Southend or Grimsby. Miles better run. We went safe and steady this year and still nearly went down. Get them to pasture. Rebuild with some proper good players, not continue with the same mid 30 somethings who needed Miracle Man Clarke to stave off oblivion for the third time in four seasons.

This squad has had its chance. Flitcroft has mentioned a few times now about return vs investment, i.e. underdelivering for the wages they're on. He's been doing that for a reason, it's a warning. 

"Keep the spine and get some quality backup" is what was being said last summer. They're a year even older now.

Bored of the same mistakes. Bored of being in this embarrassing league. Bored of tinpot nobodies with lower revenue and comparatively sunday league facilities beating us to signings. No more. 

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

For example; Cambridge sit top with an 11 that, bar Knoyle, O'Neil, and Taylor, is basically unrecognisable from last season. The keeper was there but barely played. The rest are new. 

Go out and sign better players than the ones we have. Don't be cautious. These players have had their chance and have let us and Carol down. 

I take your point but maybe Cambridge isn’t the best example, because if you take Mullin out of that side they’re nowhere. Maybe Hoolahan to a lesser extent, so possibly two key signings are the main reason rather than a complete turnover of players.  Hard to say, but obviously if Rodney had by now scored 20 plus, in addition to a second striker on 11 or more, we’d have had a different season for sure.

I’d keep Legge now, I do think he’s good and a leader and is worth another year, Crookes and Mills if out of contract is a tricky one as both improved under Clarke and sadly got injured at the wrong time!

I’d keep Scott Brown of course.

I’d like a young centre half who’s big and powerful so probably means Bris would have to go as Crookes can cover a couple of positions, despite Bris being excellent in the past few games. Downside to him is he is an “av it” defender so probably in this day an age need a ball playing centre half.

Joyce I’d keep, we do struggle without him, Manny is a tough one, on quality you keep him every time but can he play the games? I’d give him a year but downside is the squad cap.

Theo is under contract as guess may be worth persevering with. Pope is a tough one, emotionally it’s tough but with the squad cap do we let him and Cullen go along with Guthrie and look to finance a big name striker on that wage to make the difference? Go with Theo, Big Goalscorer, Rodney and a young loan striker as our four?

Monty similar to Manny. I like Monty but can we get the games needed? Does he deserve a chance under the new set up with chance to improve fitness from our set up?

Is it 20 next season over age?

Brown

Smith
Legge
Crookes

Gibbons
Montano

Oyeleke
Rodney
Conlon
Taylor
Joyce
Burgess
Worrall

Robinson

Leaves 14 current over age and 6 new signings over the age limit. Make those 6 good quality signings we won’t be far off. Torn on Amoo and Hurst though but leaves us only 4 or 5 overage spots then.

Keeper i would probably keep Scott as underage, would give him some games once mathematically safe.

It amazes me that so many are repeating the mistakes they made last year.

We put a good run together and everyone is falling into the trap of assuming thar next season anything other than promotion is a failure.

We all get ahead of ourselves but people should temper their expectations. As many have already said 3 of the last 4 seasons we have been on the cusp of relegation.

We are seeing good signs from the club at the moment so why not expect an improvement, hope for playoffs with the understanding that if we get everything right and have some luck we could get a promotion.

That way if we have a bit of a stutter in autumn it isn't all doom and gloom spreading like wildfire.

Surely Whitehead will be shown the door in the summer. I can't imagine that given the players at our disposal, that he will still be about. He's 6th choice for central midfield. I can't see us carrying any more than 5. Sadly, Carol and Kev will have to consider writing some of the bad deals off in the summer that happened under Askey so we can move on. This is surely the first place.

Saw some talk above about keeping leaders. How many do people on here seriously think we have? We won 3 in 25, teams with plenty of leaders don't do that. I think the list of true leaders is shorter than people think. 

It amazes me that so many are repeating the mistakes they made last year.

We put a good run together and everyone is falling into the trap of assuming thar next season anything other than promotion is a failure.

We all get ahead of ourselves but people should temper their expectations. As many have already said 3 of the last 4 seasons we have been on the cusp of relegation.

We are seeing good signs from the club at the moment so why not expect an improvement, hope for playoffs with the understanding that if we get everything right and have some luck we could get a promotion.

That way if we have a bit of a stutter in autumn it isn't all doom and gloom spreading like wildfire.

It’s been a strange season, for 25 games we were bottom of the league form with 16 points over that time, for 15 games either side we have had waltz the league at a canter form with 34 points from those 15 games, makes absolutely no sense but shows something was massively wrong during that spell and what a huge missed opportunity we’ve had this season because when we have most key players fit and available we are clearly one of the leagues best.

Sure come May we will inquest into it and it’s been massively frustrating but hope we can get it right next season with the correct set up off the field in place now. Football is never as easy as that but play offs have to be the minimum aim with the ownership and investment now put in place.

Will be exciting to see who DC and Flitcroft bring in to the squad, will know more then of course about what sort of challenge we can pose.

How some people can even contemplate keeping Mills, is absolutely beyond me 🤪

He's a bottom 4/National League player at best! For once, his CV actually reflects his level! When we release him, there's absolutely ZERO chance of him being signed up by another League 2 club. He'll be playing NL next season, absolutely no doubt about it!

How some people can even contemplate keeping Mills, is absolutely beyond me 
He's a bottom 4/National League player at best! For once, his CV actually reflects his level! When we release him, there's absolutely ZERO chance of him being signed up by another League 2 club. He'll be playing NL next season, absolutely no doubt about it!

He’s meant to be quite highly thought of in the game. You ask me before DC I’d have driven him anywhere away from VP he wanted to go but since he was one of the big improvers.

I think if he leaves another league two side would pick him up.

He wasn’t the only one awful during that run in fairness. Smudge we know is a high quality centre half and he looked like a baby foal defending during it.

We could always do what Barrow have done; place all the players we don't need on furlough and sign a new squad... 

Bit naughty that (Chesterfield did the same) although imagine a lot of clubs have done it but had the noggin not to announce it public like Barrow bizarrely did!

Archived