onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

I’m intrigued to see whether the last 5 games have changed anyone’s opinion on certain players?

Not me. I'd still only keep a handful or so. 3 flirtations with relegation over 4 seasons and this seasons downing of tools trump a 5 game run/strong end to the season personally

Still get rid of most.

If Clarke can string 5 wins in a row together with a group of players who have severely underperformed this season (and some of them for 3 of the last 4 years), then I have faith he can do so with a younger, more carefully assembled squad where a degree of planning, effort, and foresight has gone into its construction.

I’m intrigued to see whether the last 5 games have changed anyone’s opinion on certain players?

No. I'd still be ruthless.

I'm angry that this bunch downed tools and gave me many a sleepless night worrying about losing our league status.

Glad they've finally decided to start playing again, but I want a squad of warriors that would die for the badge. Not this bunch that turn it off and on whenever they can be bothered.

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

Absolutely not! We can't throw caution to the wind, because of the last 5 games. As nice as those 5 wins are, they are still the same players, that almost didn't win for 3 months straight! 

I'd much rather DC builds his own squad, with better players than are here now! As someone else said; if he can get this lot winning 5 in a row, imagine what he can do with good players!

It has been made harder for DC. Should he judge the players on current form or should he cast off the ones he can? 

Guthrie one such example. He will be out of contract. Do we just let him go or could he ever do enough to stay?

I suggest Robinson has been given the nod over Rodney purely because he has the two year deal and will need the game time for next year.  

Personally I am with the other posters, we saw enough rubbish off many of the players to suggest they can’t cope with a bit of adversity and frankly should be let go. 

4 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

Just as last season we didn't need a major overhaul, we don't this.  We need to improve the first 11 in certain areas and then just add one or two better backup/squad players.  People were saying Legge was washed up but he's been outstanding since being recalled.  Crookes and Mills improved under Clarke and generally players have uped their game.

It would be nice to have a nailed on 20 goal striker.  All things being equal Rodders will up his goal tally next season, assuming he's still with us, but ideally we need another striker to score 15+.  Could it turn out to be Robinson?  He's under contract and Clarke seems to fancy him.  I'm unconvinced.  Pope's a year older and Cullen will be gone so I think we'll be in the market for a front man if nothing else.

I think the 20 man squad cap is the biggest factor next season.  Potentially there should be a bigger pool of better quality players available to choose from over the summer to all teams.  Then if some team is lucky enough to have a couple of good U23's, either coming through the ranks or picked up on loan, it could make a massive difference.

I see next season being generally a more even contest and it being harder to gain promotion.

Even on a run like this we are 15th.

To go up the 10 odd places needed to be cemented in the playoff race all season long a big overhaul is needed with 8+ players who significantly improve all areas of the team.

if Legge has triggered on extension, he has to be a back up.

Brown is too expensive to keep as a sub keeper, and I think there’s better out there personally.

I think Clarke will be thinking the same, but I wonder if he’s developing a soft spot for Robinson and he’ll be here next season. Not offering new contracts is one thing, but to actively buy a contract out / move them on a player would have to be right out of favour and Robinson has crossed back from that line.

If Manny doesn’t break down I think he’s got to be offered something, whereas before I’ve said we don’t have space. Can’t ever be complacent though, even if he plays 90 minute games for the rest of the season.

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Just as last season we didn't need a major overhaul, we don't this.  We need to improve the first 11 in certain areas and then just add one or two better backup/squad players. 

We thought this and then we nearly went down, requiring the largest overhaul in operations the club has ever seen. We have the 2nd oldest squad in the league.

Get rid of most. 

8 hours ago, 1 said:

Even on a run like this we are 15th.

To go up the 10 odd places needed to be cemented in the playoff race all season long a big overhaul is needed with 8+ players who significantly improve all areas of the team.

if Legge has triggered on extension, he has to be a back up.

Brown is too expensive to keep as a sub keeper, and I think there’s better out there personally.

I think Clarke will be thinking the same, but I wonder if he’s developing a soft spot for Robinson and he’ll be here next season. Not offering new contracts is one thing, but to actively buy a contract out / move them on a player would have to be right out of favour and Robinson has crossed back from that line.

If Manny doesn’t break down I think he’s got to be offered something, whereas before I’ve said we don’t have space. Can’t ever be complacent though, even if he plays 90 minute games for the rest of the season.

I agree with your first sentence mate. I have a soft spot for several players BUT are they good enough to maintain a promotion challenge next season?

If Carol and DC are able to, we do need some big time players in and my gut tells me that we have to seriously consider some that may cost a lot more than the current squad are being paid. That is the conundrum, do we risk a dressing room discontent with new acquisitions on more pay?

This Division is there for an ambitious thinking club to conquer. My inclination is that Carol wants success so much as an owner and also a massive fan that this close season will develop into Vale becoming a really attractive proposition for like minded players. Getting out of Division 2 is one thing...we must ensure we have the structure on and off the field to compete in the higher Divisions too.

Lets put the Vale back on the map. 

This summer is going to be huge. We simply have to have a targeted and professional approach to recruitment. With DF as DOF that's his responsibility. In previous years for as long as I can remember, the approach has been to maintain a nucleus and sign backup players for that nucleus (that is players who are of the same or less ability than we already have in key positions). This hasn't worked. Surely with a dedicated DOF, however difficult it may seem, the approach has to be to improve, either immediately or with potential, every position in the team. Take Gibbons as an example. Most on here would say we just need backup for him. But why? Why shouldn't we be looking at better? Gibbons would then have to really fight for his place, and probably improve as a player. If he doesn't rise to it, then he's out and we don't have to worry that we're short in that area. Every position should be under threat.

I think we're so familiar with not being good that we've almost become used to it. One top 6 finish at any level since 1993 will do that to a fanbase.

Rebuild the club. It hasn't worked for 2 decades, sans a Tom Pope miracle. 

Carol has spent on these appointments to see proper, systemic change to what has been a failing institution for decades. Fresh start needed in all aspects. I'm genuinely bored of being bad.

Archived