onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

On 27/03/2021 at 11:17, darren1810 said:

Had a few injuries last few seasons and in the last 2 seasons has only played half the games 

I understand his injury is an accident rather than perpetual muscle injury the others have but the fact remains he's missed a lot of games 

We've really missed him but I think he could go based on the soundbytes from DC and DF 

Look at his contribution to the team over the last 2 years and his current age. If his name was not Tom Pope this wouldn't even be a debate and there is absolutely now way anyone would be advocating a new deal.

42 minutes ago, Doha said:

Having your income halved with the express, deliberate intention that you will get plssed off and won't sign up for it isn't derisory? Ok. 

I actually agree with the view that Clark has some thinking to do given Pope's injury record this season and age.

But this misconception that he was a ship jumping Judas after thirty pieces of  isn't fair at all. Smurthtwat tried and succeeded (for once) to drive him 

Doha you are, of course, bang on with what you're saying.

I think you're being too kind to some though.

How many of those suggesting Pope was off at the first opportunity would honestly, genuinely stay where they were rather than move to another employer for a load more dosh?

Not a few quid here and there, considerable money.

If you're not getting what you think you're worth, and someone else is willing to give you that, it's a no brainer.

38 minutes ago, Doha said:

Having your income halved with the express, deliberate intention that you will get plssed off and won't sign up for it isn't derisory? Ok. 

I actually agree with the view that Clark has some thinking to do given Pope's injury record this season and age.

But this misconception that he was a ship jumping Judas after thirty pieces of silver isn't fair at all. Smurthtwat tried and succeeded (for once) to drive him out.   

I believe it wasn't halved but significant (35 - 40% depending on assumptions on add-ons) and would still have left him as the highest paid player. Like many people I've had a paycut in the last 6 months, indirectly linked to covid; more the restructuring of the industry I work in. I've lost over 3 grand a month; which is significant to me.  I don't see what I was offered as derisory just life and I still earn more than most people so I won't starve. I thought about jumping ship and certainly don't blame Pope for doing so. I haven't stayed where I am out of loyalty. In my case I've moved my planned retirement from late 2021 to mid 2022. Pope was still a young man when he left and had a lot more years to fund a living from a much shorter career than Ive had. I've jumped plenty of ships for 30 pieces of silver; when I was offshore almost literally; so even if he was jumping for 30 pieces I wouldn't blame him.

51 minutes ago, Doha said:

FWIW I thought it was a lot less than that. 

You may well be right.  I do not profess to be ‘in the know’ but the numbers did fit with Tom talking about a 40% pay cut at the time.

As I said all water under the bridge anyway.

For the record I don’t go along with those intimating he jumped ship for a few quid more

10 minutes ago, JRC said:

I believe it wasn't halved but significant (35 - 40% depending on assumptions on add-ons) and would still have left him as the highest paid player. Like many people I've had a paycut in the last 6 months, indirectly linked to covid; more the restructuring of the industry I work in. I've lost over 3 grand a month; which is significant to me.  I don't see what I was offered as derisory just life and I still earn more than most people so I won't starve. I thought about jumping ship and certainly don't blame Pope for doing so. I haven't stayed where I am out of loyalty. In my case I've moved my planned retirement from late 2021 to mid 2022. Pope was still a young man when he left and had a lot more years to fund a living from a much shorter career than Ive had. I've jumped plenty of ships for 30 pieces of silver; when I was offshore almost literally; so even if he was jumping for 30 pieces I wouldn't blame him.

The Sentinel reported it was 50% - https://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/13312854.bury-linked-with-move-for-port-vale-striker-tom-pope/

I have too, industry's fcked. 

I just think Darren's comment was unnecessarily harsh and not appreciative of the circumstances at the time. It wasn't like he did a Maynard and tried to hold the club to ransom to drum up a matching offer from Bury, he literally just turned down a significant cut from that Walrus bstard on the basis that, in his own words, he couldn't afford it. Mortgage still has to go out. 

Pope will always be involved with the club regardless of what happens. Maybe he’ll go and play somewhere else for a year or two but whether he’s here, retired or whatever, he will be doing good work behind the scenes when he does hang up the boots I’m sure.

It is amazing what a few wins on the bounce can do for our minds,a few weeks ago we wanted most of the squad ditched apart from the odd ones,now we are on about keeping a few more.. i think DC knows the score and an upturn in results wont change his mind(he doesn't look the sort to do that),i do though think there will be a few surprises on who are kept and let go thats for sure

21 minutes ago, Doha said:

The Sentinel reported it was 50% - https://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/13312854.bury-linked-with-move-for-port-vale-striker-tom-pope/

I have too, industry's fcked. 

I just think Darren's comment was unnecessarily harsh and not appreciative of the circumstances at the time. It wasn't like he did a Maynard and tried to hold the club to ransom to drum up a matching offer from Bury, he literally just turned down a significant cut from that Walrus bstard on the basis that, in his own words, he couldn't afford it. Mortgage still has to go out. 

When I got my first serious wage packet a very wise Canadian asked me how much you needed for a good life. I said about 60000 US. He told me to always live on $60000 dollars and invest the rest and I'd always be happy. He'd lived through a lot more booms and busts than me and I realised it was the best advice I'd ever get. It took my wife 20 years more than me to see the wisdom in his words.

Main Squad of 23
New GK1
Scott
Gibbons
New FB1
Legge
Smith
Brisley
New CB1
New FB2
New FB3
New DM1 (Griff type)
New DM/CM2 (more cultured deep lying player)
Oyeleke
Conlon
Burgess
Taylor
Worrall
Amoo
New Winger1
New AM1
Rodney
New S1
New S2

Release: Brown, Crookes, Joyce, Pope, Montano, Cullen, Guthrie, Mills, McKirdy, RCG, Fitzpatrick, DTS, Chambers, Hurst, Lennon, Bailey, Visser, Collinge
Olagunju and Swan return to parent clubs
Mutual Termination of Whitehead and Robinson
Sign
1 GK
3 FB
1 CB
2 DM
1 W
1 AM
1 S

22 out, 11 in. Supplement with a couple of loans and U23 lads picked from Category 1 Academies. Get a reserve team running to ensure minutes, and guarantee development players a % of minutes across the season in their contracts, providing we are above 18th.
Some of the released list hurts; Brown, Monty, Joyce, and especially Pope, but its win + promotion at all costs now and sentiment cannot blind us. The above 4 will be costing us loads. I'm trying to be as ruthless as possible.
Complete reset of the club, after what is arguably the worst (and, at best, 2nd worst) 5 year spell in postwar history.

Can’t argue with any of that , but Joe is right if we want promotion we have to be ruthless and make the hard decisions

This squad has failed over the last 3 /4 seasons no sentiment is needed if we want to get promoted and achieve something

I do think that those who are expecting/hoping Pope to get another contract are going to be very disappointed. From what we know and have seen so far, DF twice told Pope he could leave Bury, and DC already seems sick to the back teeth of the constant repeated questions as to Pope's availability. I can't see neither DF nor DC wanting to keep a soon to be 36yo with a very poor record over the last 2 years at the Club, particularly when such individual seems to be bigger than everyone else, including the management team

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I do think that those who are expecting/hoping Pope to get another contract are going to be very disappointed. From what we know and have seen so far, DF twice told Pope he could leave Bury, and DC already seems sick to the back teeth of the constant repeated questions as to Pope's availability. I can't see neither DF nor DC wanting to keep a soon to be 36yo with a very poor record over the last 2 years at the Club, particularly when such individual seems to be bigger than everyone else, including the management team

It is quite likely that Robbo and Rodney could form a fruitful partnership over the next few games. Bringing a quality striker in would limit Pope`s chances especially if we  sign a young striker or 2 to develop. 

Archived