New FB1

Legge

Smith

Brisley

New CB1

New FB2

New FB3

New DM1 (Griff type)

New DM/CM2 (more cultured deep lying player)

Oyeleke

Conlon

Burgess

Taylor

Worrall

Amoo

New Winger1

New AM1

Rodney

New S1

New S2

Release: Brown, Crookes, Joyce, Pope, Montano, Cullen, Guthrie, Mills, McKirdy, RCG, Fitzpatrick, DTS, Chambers, Hurst, Lennon, Bailey, Visser, Collinge

Olagunju and Swan return to parent clubs

Mutual Termination of Whitehead and Robinson

Sign

1 GK

3 FB

1 CB

2 DM

1 W

1 AM

1 S

22 out, 11 in. Supplement with a couple of loans and U23 lads picked from Category 1 Academies. Get a reserve team running to ensure minutes, and guarantee development players a % of minutes across the season in their contracts, providing we are above 18th.

Some of the released list hurts; Brown, Monty, Joyce, and especially Pope, but its win + promotion at all costs now and sentiment cannot blind us. The above 4 will be costing us loads. I'm trying to be as ruthless as possible.

Complete reset of the club, after what is arguably the worst (and, at best, 2nd worst) 5 year spell in postwar history.

Advert

Keep majority after what I'm seeing under new leadership it just shows how Askey let the standards slip ,did he even monitor there fitness levels and if he did why were they getting injured so frequently or losing lots of late goals the difference in DC,s reign  is there for all to see they are all being able give better performance levels due to being fitter it's actually a joy watch the Vale the question for me why has it took 35 games 18 of which were thrown away to realise that  optimum fitness is required and the last 3 winning games the fitness and quality which would be allowed to show as we can get to the ball quicker has shown that these players are good enough in fact I'd boldly say these players could win us the league if DC had them all season .

So keep the majority and lets have 8 more performances like saturday 

UTV 

You have to have a squad of players capable of giving you thirty games plus a season. I suppose this is done by getting the right players and ensuring they are managed correctly and with the right level of fitness. It would seem DC demands this! Looking at the Crawley game we were all over them surrounding them when they had the ball it was so good to see after some of the turgid performances this season. After some of the most depressing performances I have witnessed over the fifty odd years I have watched the Vale I have at last got some hope, and looking forward to better times.

Keep majority after what I'm seeing under new leadership it just shows how Askey let the standards slip ,did he even monitor there fitness levels and if he did why were they getting injured so frequently or losing lots of late goals the difference in DC,s reign  is there for all to see they are all being able give better performance levels due to being fitter it's actually a joy watch the Vale the question for me why has it took 35 games 18 of which were thrown away to realise that  optimum fitness is required and the last 3 winning games the fitness and quality which would be allowed to show as we can get to the ball quicker has shown that these players are good enough in fact I'd boldly say these players could win us the league if DC had them all season .
So keep the majority and lets have 8 more performances like saturday 
UTV 

No no no no we’ve fallen into this trap before. This squad has been in multiple relegation battles so a couple of wins doesn’t change anything for me. Big clear out needed

Some of these players' ability to embarass this club with diabolical performances and have fans genuinely losing sleep over the prospect of oblivion, only to pull it out of the bag when a new manager comes in, is almost impressive. Three of the last four seasons. It's tiring. Fans were on here 3 weeks ago worried sick.

I'm had enough of the cycle. They're not bad players or bad lads, but its time to reset the wheel. Last three games have been a marked improvement but that doesn't negate Kings Lynn, Tranmere, Walsall etc, or 3 wins in 23 and making serious mental preparations for the National League, or 2018 or 2019, with this not being an isolated incident but a recurring, bleak pattern of futility.

Askey was culpable, big time, but this squad of players fundamentally let this football club down (especially Carol, who had backed them so fervently and publicly at her own cost) and salvaging a degree of dignity/not being chased out of Burslem with some decent wins doesn't wipe that away for me.

If Clarke can do this with this underperforming squad, I'd love to see what he can do with some quality footballers who don't have a tendency to implode when a manager's cycle concludes. This squad were lost to me in that Mansfield game, when they basically threw in the towel and left us a laughing stock. Hard-working but shambolic defeats are embarassing but less infuriating; that Mansfield debacle was an affront to the supporters. We shouldn't be so forgiving, in my view. Cheers for, eventually, doing your job lads, but off you go. The supporters and Carol have deserved far, far better.

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

etc etc but once 30 pieces of Silver were dangled he was off like a shot. 

I’m pretty certain you’re rewriting history. 

Did Normong not offer him a frankly derisory deal with the intention of it never being accepted as part of his effort to force most of the players out to undermine and get rid of Rob Page? 

If your employment contract expired for you to then get offered comparatively Oliver Twist style terms by some horrible lying Scrooge bstard, are you seriously going to tell me you would describe yourself as “off like a shot for thirty pieces of silver” for looking elsewhere? 

To criticise him for leaving in those circumstances is pretty outrageous. No surprise his stalker Phil liked your post 😂

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Some of these players' ability to embarass this club with diabolical performances and have fans genuinely losing sleep over the prospect of oblivion, only to pull it out of the bag when a new manager comes in, is almost impressive. Three of the last four seasons. It's tiring. Fans were on here 3 weeks ago worried sick.

I'm had enough of the cycle. They're not bad players or bad lads, but its time to reset the wheel. Last three games have been a marked improvement but that doesn't negate Kings Lynn, Tranmere, Walsall etc, or 3 wins in 23 and making serious mental preparations for the National League, or 2018 or 2019, with this not being an isolated incident but a recurring, bleak pattern of futility.

Askey was culpable, big time, but this squad of players fundamentally let this football club down (especially Carol, who had backed them so fervently and publicly at her own cost) and salvaging a degree of dignity/not being chased out of Burslem with some decent wins doesn't wipe that away for me.

If Clarke can do this with this underperforming squad, I'd love to see what he can do with some quality footballers who don't have a tendency to implode when a manager's cycle concludes. This squad were lost to me in that Mansfield game, when they basically threw in the towel and left us a laughing stock. Hard-working but shambolic defeats are embarassing but less infuriating; that Mansfield debacle was an affront to the supporters. We shouldn't be so forgiving, in my view. Cheers for, eventually, doing your job lads, but off you go. The supporters and Carol have deserved far, far better.

That's a brutal assessment one which I completely agree with to some extent. I am sure that some of the performances in front of a home crowd would have caused a riot.I put my faith now in DC and I am hoping that we will not see the likes of some of this season's poor performances again.

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Spot on. Football supporters tend to have the memory of a goldfish.

Get the dross out. Too late, start again, goodbye. I want to see Kevin running round the car park with an air rifle in late May chasing them off the property forever. 

Did Normong not offer him a frankly derisory deal with the intention of it never being accepted as part of his effort to force most of the players out to undermine and get rid of Rob Page? 
If your employment contract expired for you to then get offered comparatively Oliver Twist style terms by some horrible lying Scrooge bstard, are you seriously going to tell me you would describe yourself as “off like a shot for thirty pieces of silver” for looking elsewhere? 
To criticise him for leaving in those circumstances is pretty outrageous. No surprise his stalker Phil liked your post
At the rate Pope moves I'd be done for kerb crawling rather than stalking. He'll be back soon Doha, though I think your rooftop will need a good clean before he does. Don't want you slipping on all the moss

These 3 wins have changed nothing for me in terms of who I'd keep.

We need to be ruthless. We need players that get as angry/upset/frustrated as I do (and others) when we lose. Genuine winners. Not players that turn it on when they can be bothered.

We need to think about mounting a serious promotion challenge within the next 3 years. I'm sick of this league. I'm sick of going to these sheds and watching teams with 2,000 fans turn us over.

Our core of Brown, Legge, Joyce and Pope can't go on forever. This summer is the time replace them with younger players.

None of the centre forwards have scored for Clarke yet. Cullen, Guthrie, Robinson, Pope - release all of them.

Our midfield is very workmanlike but do they have the quality to dictate games? I wouldn't say so. 

On the opening day of next season, I'd like to see:

New GK

Gibbons; New CB; Smith; New LB

New CM; New CM; Conlon

Worrall; New CF; Rodney

Every year, whoever the manager is, we're always told "we're going for quality not quantity", and every year we end up with a massive squad of average and injury prone players.

This trend needs to be bucked this summer.

17 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

We need to be ruthless. We need players that get as angry/upset/frustrated as I do (and others) when we lose. Genuine winners. Not players that turn it on when they can be bothered.

We need to think about mounting a serious promotion challenge within the next 3 years. I'm sick of this league. I'm sick of going to these sheds and watching teams with 2,000 fans turn us over.

Our core of Brown, Legge, Joyce and Pope can't go on forever. This summer is the time replace them with younger players.

None of the centre forwards have scored for Clarke yet. Cullen, Guthrie, Robinson, Pope - release all of them.

Our midfield is very workmanlike but do they have the quality to dictate games? I wouldn't say so. 

New GK

New CM; New CM; Conlon

Worrall; New CF; Rodney

Every year, whoever the manager is, we're always told "we're going for quality not quantity", and every year we end up with a massive squad of average and injury prone players.

Still  8 more games to go for DC to unearth a nugget ot 2 from under his nose and surprise us with a few goals

New GK
New CM; New CM; Conlon
Worrall; New CF; Rodney
Can't disagree with this for the most part. However, I will say that Manny can dominate any midfield in this league. The obvious issue is fitness. He's now played 3 games on the bounce! I do wonder whether a large part of the issue is psychological with him and, with a much bigger emphasis on this seeming to be coming, if these 'injuries' will largely disappear

2 hours ago, Doha said:

To criticise him for leaving in those circumstances is pretty outrageous. No surprise his stalker Phil liked your post 😂

Derisory is probably not an accurate term for a significant six figure annual salary with extras. It was lower than he got offered elsewhere. I don't blame the guy for the move but he wasn't offered anywhere near minimum wage to stay.

Pope having left for money in the past shouldn't affect the decision on next season. The only relevant points are

1. Does the manager want a 36 year old striker in his squad

2. Does the role a 36 year Pope is likely to play in the first 11 justify offering his current salary as part of the budget for next season

3. Would Pope accept a lower wage if the manager feels what he will offer next season doesn't justify the current expense

Personal view is Pope will be offered something to stay at the club. Not sure if that will be as part of any submitted squad of 20; my best guess is it won't and he'll have the option of a season at the club in a coaching capacity and playing part-time on Saturday somewhere. Whether Pope would accept that or try and get 12 months somewhere else is questionable but there are limited options for a local club at this level for him to commute to and Tom doesn't really like living away. There's Walsall and Oldham who might offer close to his current salary. Morecambe might offer him something but a lot less. Don't see Bolton or Mansfield being interested as they have the financial muscle to chase younger options. If squad limits end up staying at 22 I think he will probably stay on a reduced salary with some kind of coaching role.

2 hours ago, Doha said:

From reading on here at the time wasn’t the salary offer rumoured to be £150k?  

Granted, a sizeable reduction on the (again rumoured) £250k, but hardly Bread and gruel money. Maybe we had paid above market rate in the first place.

All water under the bridge, the question now is IF Clarke thinks Tom still has a part to play, what % of the budget do you direct towards a 36 year old forward who has had limited goal contribution in the last 2 seasons for varying reasons.

15 minutes ago, JRC said:

Derisory is probably not an accurate term for a significant six figure annual salary with extras

Having your income halved with the express, deliberate intention that you will get plssed off and won't sign up for it isn't derisory? Ok. 

I actually agree with the view that Clark has some thinking to do given Pope's injury record this season and age.

But this misconception that he was a ship jumping Judas after thirty pieces of silver isn't fair at all. Smurthtwat tried and succeeded (for once) to drive him out.   

Archived