onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

“Right Manny, after much deliberation and agonising we have decided to offer you a six month contract and we’ll see how it goes.”

”Thanks for the medical intervention, it saved my career and I feel fitter than ever. I’m off to league 1, toodles.”

6 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

You can argue all day about Pope's ability but I was there at the Etihad when he scored. There is no doubt in my mind that he is still a valuable player for us. 

I completely agree, but that was over a year ago and if he signs another 1 year deal, he will be nearly 3 years older than that game. 

I would never be critical of what Tom has done for the club...I’m skeptical of what more he can do given his injuries, bans and other associated factors.

For me pope is worth a 1 or 2 year contract yes we need 2 or 3 main strikers infront of him now but he's still worth 10/15 goals a season even off the bench.
The last 2 years completely obliterate that argument, though he does seem to score 20-30 in seasons where he barely features

2 minutes ago, 1 said:

“Right Manny, after much deliberation and agonising we have decided to offer you a six month contract and we’ll see how it goes.”

”Thanks for the medical intervention, it saved my career and I feel fitter than ever. I’m off to league 1, toodles.”

While a league 1 club may be tempted, his injury record is appalling and our squad injuries this season have been unacceptable. 

I reckon with the setup we're putting in place we'll fancy our chances of getting Manny fit.

He's played three consecutive games, which I was thinking was beyond him.

I think we'll offer him a deal, especially if he features heavily in the last eight games.

As for Pope, I'd definitely keep him at the Vale.

Keep

Brown - 1 year
Gibbons
Joyce - 1 year
Legge - 1 year
Smith
Worrall
Oyeleke - 1 year with an option
Pope - 1 year
Conlon
Montano
Robinson - I’d get rid but think DC will keep him
Taylor
Burgess - loan move
McKirdy - as Robinson, I think he’ll get 6 months
Campbell-Gordon

Release

Crookes
Cullen
Guthrie
Mills
Brisley
Whitehead (termination)
Amoo
Fitzpatrick
Trickett-Smith
Hurst
Visser
Scott

why?
He didn't score for Bury against us did he ? 
I think I remember him scoring once but I could be mistaken

Edit: just checked and he actually didn't, so God knows what I was thinking of. You're 'talking crap' because it's Tom Pope and Pope lovers don't like facts

9 hours ago, 1 said:

The medical intervention was hardly an act of altruism on our part, was it?

It was an effort to one, look after an employee who was struggling through no fault of his own, and two, get a player fit who has a massive impact on how good we are.

If Manny performs well enough to get into League 1, assuming he sorts his injuries, we can hardly moan because we paid for him to be operated on when he was an employee + and we were desperate to have him back.

7 hours ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

Keep

Brown - 1 year
Gibbons
Joyce - 1 year
Legge - 1 year
Smith
Worrall
Oyeleke - 1 year with an option
Pope - 1 year
Conlon
Montano
Robinson - I’d get rid but think DC will keep him
Taylor
Burgess - loan move
McKirdy - as Robinson, I think he’ll get 6 months
Campbell-Gordon

Release

Crookes
Cullen
Guthrie
Mills
Brisley
Whitehead (termination)
Amoo
Fitzpatrick
Trickett-Smith
Hurst
Visser
Scott

Amoo signed a 2 year contract in the summer, so would need to be paid off/have another club lined up.

The Veteran Four of Brown, Legge, Joyce, Pope; all decent/good enough players, but probably four of our top 5 earners (with Worrall). They'd have to accept reductions in wages + lessened playing time for me to countenance giving them an extra year.

I think Legge is here regardless due to a clause, but I'd maybe look to reinvest the hefty wages of at least two of Brown, Joyce, and Pope. The work should (and will) be done now to evaluate whether we can afford similar quality for cheaper wages, or better quality for the same outlay.

Definalty Keep:
Worrall - 2 years
Joyce - 1 year
Burgess - 1 year
Monty - 2 years
Manny - 2 years
Hurst - 2/3 years

Wage dependent keep:
Brown, Legge, Pope - 1 year each

Definalty Release:
Crooks, bris, Visser, Cullen, DTS, Guthrie, McKirdy.

Unsure:
Mills - he's actually looked decent under DC, and I imagine he's on peanuts, depends if DC backs himself to find better for the same money

Fitz - don't think he's done too much wrong, I wouldn't care either way but I'd potential give him another year.

RCG, Tom Scott and the 2nd year scholars - no idea, whatever DC thinks I guess.

18 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I think I remember him scoring once but I could be mistaken

Edit: just checked and he actually didn't, so God knows what I was thinking of. You're 'talking crap' because it's Tom Pope and Pope lovers don't like facts

I'm not just making this up to cause antagonism but i think it was the first time we had Bury away after he left. And somebody two seats from me had a massive banner about him ( which is fair enough ) but i swear they were actually willing him to score against us.

Yes he's a Vale fan/Legend etc etc but once 30 pieces of Silver were dangled he was off like a shot. 

I think we've missed him as an option and in my mind he's been a magnificent player for our club but some folk are particularly blinded by the very name Pope .

The initial quote was Pope will get a hat trick against us, my response was like he did for Bury, yet i'm talking crap. Oh well can't win em all .

For reference, the following players have got a contract next season as things stand:

Nathan Smith

James Gibbons

Tom Conlon

Danny Whitehead

Jake Taylor

Scott Burgess

David Worrall

David Amoo

Devante Rodney

Theo Robinson

Possibly: Leon Legge

That's probably 11 players all under contract. Considering Clarke has already said he wants a smaller squad, those who are discussing over 6-7 renewals are really capping how much of an impact Flitcroft/Clarke can have on things. Can we really afford a 4th season with the same spine, despite them underperforming as a team for 75% of that timeframe?

I think there's a good chance Whitehead is moved on, as he just isn't featuring at all. Burgess has similarly fallen out of the picture, and the early signs aren't good for Taylor. What's striking is that Clarke has quickly settled on three midfielders who were here under ASPIN. Not a single Askey midfielder is getting a crumb of minutes. Of Saturday's 11, 8 were here under Aspin. It's absolutely ludicrous and needs changing.

The rest of the squad is a decent, youngish core to build around. I think with this revamped approach to recruitment, Flitcroft will want maximum budget to work with and therefore will release as many as possible. If we're committing to this more proactive, data-assisted recruitment, we've got to back ourselves to identify the good players.

Archived