onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

Surely Manny will have a full medical as though he is being signed for the first time before even offering him 6 months?

I want him to stay as much as anyone, but not for 10 games a season, 8 of which he is regaining fitness.

its a tough decision.

I imagine, if we choose to keep Pope, it will be on reduced terms to what he is on now (which is entirely reasonable for someone with 9 league goals across the last two seasons), and other clubs will be willing to outbid us. 

Pope will be on his last contract and will go where the money is. I'd be sound if he stays as a rotational striker on reduced wages, but would also want him to go somewhere else and be their main striker on a nice wage. He probably deserves it.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

You can argue all day about Pope's ability but I was there at the Etihad when he scored. There is no doubt in my mind that he is still a valuable player for us. 

I don’t see the relevance of your first line. What Pope has done previously should have no bearing on whether we offer him a new contract. Whatever happens he will go down as a Vale legend but we can’t be sentimental. If Clarke feels that the present Pope has something to offer then fair play. However, I’m sure we can get better value for money. 

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

You can argue all day about Pope's ability but I was there at the Etihad when he scored. There is no doubt in my mind that he is still a valuable player for us. 

15 months ago almost. We can't keep harping back to that it's about the here and now 

55 minutes ago, 1 said:

Surely Manny will have a full medical as though he is being signed for the first time before even offering him 6 months?

I want him to stay as much as anyone, but not for 10 games a season, 8 of which he is regaining fitness.

its a tough decision.

With better medical supervision worth signing for 20 games, if he plays the rest of the season maybe his troubles are lessened. Keep him off the heavy pitches, use him to build up the points then consolidate promotion. By May  the fitness of all players will have been explored, Not that we do not need another powerful mid-fielder.

30 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

I don’t see the relevance of your first line. What Pope has done previously should have no bearing on whether we offer him a new contract. Whatever happens he will go down as a Vale legend but we can’t be sentimental. If Clarke feels that the present Pope has something to offer then fair play. However, I’m sure we can get better value for money. 

I am sure DC has his own ideas about Tom's future. 😀

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I imagine, if we choose to keep Pope, it will be on reduced terms to what he is on now (which is entirely reasonable for someone with 9 league goals across the last two seasons), and other clubs will be willing to outbid us. 

Pope will be on his last contract and will go where the money is. I'd be sound if he stays as a rotational striker on reduced wages, but would also want him to go somewhere else and be their main striker on a nice wage. He probably deserves it.

I'd be happy for Pope to join another club if they offered him a better deal, but I'd worry if he went to another League Two club that we'd regret it. Crap players we release seem to manage to get a goal against us so I'm sure Pope would potentially get a hat-trick against us.

I'd be happy for Pope to join another club if they offered him a better deal, but I'd worry if he went to another League Two club that we'd regret it. Crap players we release seem to manage to get a goal against us so I'm sure Pope would potentially get a hat-trick against us.
Smudger would have hin in his back pocket

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

Like he did for Bury 🤔

I would like to think that carol could fit pope in at the vale somewhere if not a first team coach maybe with the kids from where pope started his career he could be good and give some good advice and let’s be honest he is a better footballer than he gets credit for 

I would like to think that carol could fit pope in at the vale somewhere if not a first team coach maybe with the kids from where pope started his career he could be good and give some good advice and let’s be honest he is a better footballer than he gets credit for 

That may happen eventually but I still think he could do a job especially in the national league where he would still get good money. It's a big drop in wages to go from a few grand a week to 3 or 4 hundred

Archived