onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

When you look at the tables our problems are quite clear! We have conceded 19 more goals than Stevenage, considering they were lucky to be in the league it’s rather a poor showing on our behalf. If we are to get out of this league then shoring up the defence is a priority. We only need to find a few extra goals in the rest of the team then we will do ok. It would be interesting to know what Stevenage defenders are on wage wise! 

Advert

10 hours ago, Moz said:

You say that, but many were happy to erase all of Askey's and the squad's good work based on the month of November...

I agree there's a lot wrong with the squad, but there's a decent core there. I'm not convinced we need wholesale changes. Remember, if we'd had a half decent finisher in the side, things could have been very different at Christmas.

Seven out, 4/5 in, I reckon.

Goalscorer or not the events of this season have proven this squad collectively is not strong enough mentally. Too many of them have been missing in action since October, including 1st team regulars.

I could also argue the majority of this current 1st team have been together for 3 years and have performed way below the expected level, except the first expect 3 months of 2020. I think its time to move on and make wholesale changes but we do still have some good players at L2 level to start off with like Gibbo, Smith, Conlon & Wozza. I'm expecting between 10 -12 to be replaced.

21 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I agree - leading to the sacking of the Manager. but you did say you can't erase 4 months of failure because the players have done ok in the last 2 weeks - but, you can, as proven by Crookes!

I disagree with your logic about Crookes. When I think back (I could be wrong I've not checked the team sheets) but I don't recall him playing very often during that horrific period except the schoolboy display at CB against Tranmere. It was Fitz pretty much every week and Monty on the rare occasion he was fit. 

Since DC has come in I think Crookes has proven himself to be a capable backup at LB. I personally feel he needs to also demonstrate he can be a capable backup option at CB to earn a new deal. 

38 minutes ago, MBE said:

I disagree with your logic about Crookes. When I think back (I could be wrong I've not checked the team sheets) but I don't recall him playing very often during that horrific period except the schoolboy display at CB against Tranmere. It was Fitz pretty much every week and Monty on the rare occasion he was fit. 

Since DC has come in I think Crookes has proven himself to be a capable backup at LB. I personally feel he needs to also demonstrate he can be a capable backup option at CB to earn a new deal. 

Since Clarke came in has Crookes actually played as a full back? Thought he'd only been the left of three central defenders in a back 3 / 5

(Where he has looked fairly competent, but no more. Though he is relatively young and "athletic", so ticking some of Clarke's boxes.)

9 minutes ago, EricHamesis said:

Since Clarke came in has Crookes actually played as a full back? Thought he'd only been the left of three central defenders in a back 3 / 5

Yes he has only played LB so far under DC. To be honest I think he has some really good attributes and could develop. With smaller squad sizes next season I think its imperative we have squad players who can play multiple positions. He could be a good backup for LB and CB assuming we bring in an actual LB which I really hope we do rather than relying on Monty. I would also keep Monty as backup on the LW if the price was right.

9 hours ago, MBE said:

Yes he has only played LB so far under DC. To be honest I think he has some really good attributes and could develop. With smaller squad sizes next season I think its imperative we have squad players who can play multiple positions. He could be a good backup for LB and CB assuming we bring in an actual LB which I really hope we do rather than relying on Monty. I would also keep Monty as backup on the LW if the price was right.

Would not be upset if Crookes is retained, and as you say he has some good attributes. However, having seen all of the games under Clarke, Crookes has usually if not always played as one of three centre halves, which is not playing full back, and has taken the spotlight off his weaknesses.

Imagine if we had the amount of injuries of this season next season in a 20 man squad. I'd be running out of the paddock to sit on the bench. I know Clarke and co are moving towards a more professional injury / assessment / conditioning / maintenance set up but if a player has missed 15+ games this season they need to go through rigorous scrutiny to offset the likelihood of it happening next season, and if they have question marks, don't renew the contracts / pay off to make room in the squad. A settled starting 11  is a key aspect of successful teams in this league, and that will be even more so next season.

The cataclysmic collapse we saw is enough for me to conclude that major change is needed. Something wasn't right with the mentality/mindset/insert cliche of the team for such a shambles to start and then continue without being sorted.

There are some decent players in the dressing room but its been the same core for 3 years who, through both bad luck and subpar performances, have not delivered anything more than a playoff challenge that may not have had the gas to extend another 9 games (point being, we'll never know if we were truly good enough last season).

Get rid and let Big Flitters work some magic.

Crookes can't pass a ball was at fault for goals at Salford and Bolton having said that I do agree that he has improved. The problem is the new improved version is still terrible. 20 man squad means 5 players have to go just to get to that level as Gibbons will count next season. So for me at least 12-15 need to go to bring in 7 or 8 good players

Instead of Clarke turning <ovf censored> defenders into sometimes ok defenders, wouldn’t it be better to sign decent defenders and turn them into top quality defenders? 

It’s all well and good talking of a massive turnover of staff , but fundamentally it’s about correctly coaching and ensuring optimal fitness of what players we have. I am sure our management will be assessing what we have and what we need.

2 hours ago, bomber said:

It’s all well and good talking of a massive turnover of staff , but fundamentally it’s about correctly coaching and ensuring optimal fitness of what players we have. I am sure our management will be assessing what we have and what we need.

And there are plenty coaches to go around 🙂

2 hours ago, bomber said:

Yes and Clarke is well underway doing that with the current crop and will be looking to improve in the summer. Exciting times.

Another way of looking at it is who do I predict Clarke will retain, rather than who would I retain.

Legge, Crookes, Joyce and Brown I think are distinct possibilities but as I’ve said before, only 6 would make it if I was choosing and outside those would get released / paid off.

Archived