onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

2 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Oyeleke - 12 months & nurse him through the games. Careful management & keep our fingers crossed he can play 30 games. A big ask I know but he’s such an important player.

The Michael Walsh conundrum. If Oyeleke plays the remaining fixture it will be a tough call still to have him as part of a 20 man squad. Let him go and he plays 40 games somewhere else Clarke will look very foolish. 

Advert

Oyeleke could easily be one of the best midfielders in the league. He's got it all. Dynamic, strong, good shot on him, can tackle, powerful.

I'd personally release him as he's not worth keeping to play 10 games a season. We need to be ruthless this summer.

Clarke has brought him own sports science/fitness trainers in so maybe he could 'fix' him up to playing 40 games a season. He played 40 games in the season before us.

Rudgie used to say drop a few from the bottom of your squad, and bring in one or two at the top.

Last Summer I seem to recollect great enthusiasm that all the players offered new contracts signed them. 

This probably took the vast majority of the budget, yet not too many moaned at the new, make weights, that were added.

The team did well for the first dozen or so games and I don't recollect anyone being surprised how well we were doing.

One of the highest scorers, goals spread through the team, defensively sound.

All Clarke has to do is get those players fit, motivated, and playing again.

Then do a Rudge. (As above)

4 hours ago, JRC said:

The Michael Walsh conundrum. If Oyeleke plays the remaining fixture it will be a tough call still to have him as part of a 20 man squad. Let him go and he plays 40 games somewhere else Clarke will look very foolish. 

Indeed.  Unless Manny can show he's clear of his injury problems between now and the end of the season I think the 20 man squad limit may well spell the end of his time with us.  If he does move on, and goes on to play 40 odd games somewhere else, then we'll just have to suck it up as either bad luck or we haven't managed his injuries very well, or both.

On a slight tangent, next seasons lower limits on squad size should mean that the pool of available players will be larger in theory.  I feel it'll make things tougher because less fancied teams, with lower budgets, should be able to pick up some better players, who would've  previously been absorbed into the larger squads of the past.  I think it'll make teams more even, which we've seen to some degree this season, and this league could be a bit more of a lottery.

1 hour ago, andy jones said:

Rudgie used to say drop a few from the bottom of your squad, and bring in one or two at the top.

Last Summer I seem to recollect great enthusiasm that all the players offered new contracts signed them. 

This probably took the vast majority of the budget, yet not too many moaned at the new, make weights, that were added.

The team did well for the first dozen or so games and I don't recollect anyone being surprised how well we were doing.

Stop making excuses for askey. Many people moaned about the signings. I got complained about Robinson. We have won two games so I wouldn’t say ‘how well we are doing’

Big issue last summer (and the one prior) is that we didn’t sign players who would improve the first 11. Just a bunch of squad players to replace squad players in Lloyd Kennedy and evans. I would have been more than happy for the ones who signed up to be signed up and then strengthen  the starting 11 with 2/3 players. Not players like whitehead.

face the facts. Askey signed a load of dross (again) as he does every window. Let the players return to football not close to match fit and lost the dressing room. Non league manager. 

4 hours ago, JRC said:

I think if he can stay fit for the remainder of the season we should give him another year. Big issue for me is how he is managed. Always seems rushed back from injury. I 100% believe Clarke will manager that better than askey did 

2 hours ago, andy jones said:

Sorry Dave, but I have to disagree, Rudgie was established when he adopted this approach, whereas Clarke is effectively starting from scratch.

Yes, the vast majority of us were happy when we secured the contracts of players that did so well to get close to a play off place, but there were many comments and question marks over the addition Askey “old boy” lazy signings.
I believe that the Covid situation probably made us feel a little more secure when signing up the previous seasons players, given that a lot of teams were offloading due to financial concerns over lost revenue. 

Clarke will clear out a lot of deadwood this summer.

593 ...suggest you misread my post. I never said 'how well we are doing '

I also never mentioned Askey.

My view is about a dozen of our squad are good enough to do well in this league as they have already proven.

I too was disappointed we signed Robinson, in fact I wasn't overjoyed at the possibility of Maynard (his form this season has shown nothing to make me think I was wrong)

The last two games have shown the players when fit are good enough but it would be wrong to think players like Whitehead have a future at Vale. 

At the moment I can see there being room for 8 new faces in a squad of 20 next season.

Remaining matches will show who wants to be here next season .

5 hours ago, andy jones said:

My view is that there isn't a lot wrong with the majority of the squad.

They finished 8th last season, started this one wel!, Then hit the buffers.

the next 9 games will dictate whether there is a cull or not. 

There are a few good players in there but after that this squad is terrible...

They finished 8th last season but the seasons either side have been piss poor. 

Need to be careful we don’t fall into the sentimental trap. A lot of the players,  Manny for example, have had their chance now sadly. It hasn’t worked for whatever reasons move on. 

The squad needs an overhaul if not least. Just to freshen things up. 

Release 

Visser

Fitzpatrick, Mills, Legge , Brisley 

Joyce, Hurst 

Pope, Guthrie, Cullen 

Pay up contracts 

Whitehead and Robinson 

The injury conundrum

Monty, Manny, Amoo all good players , will they even reach 46 games combined ? 

We simply can't get all sentimental because we've suddenly won a couple of games . Legge has been excellent since put back in the team but has shown many frailties including 2 red cards. Pope is 36 in August and please don't quote Kevin Ellison at me or I'll scream !! 

Ronnie Sinclair out to be replaced by Brown who actually has proper competition by us signing a new keeper . 

Burgess and Taylor are interesting ones as not sure Clarke fancies them particularly the former. 

3rd year out of 4 we have flirted with non league football, no room at all for heart strings being tugged or emotional decisions based on somebody's past. 

I trust Clarke because I think he's got a ruthless streak and he is not going all gooey and gaga over these couple of wins. 

Darren I agree with your post, just wonder if Mills will prove a better player than we have given credit so far with a run of games.

Crookes seemed to be benefitting from regular start before injury.

Above everything else it's the same situation as past 6 years or so ... We have to find a replacement for Pope and hope Devante continues to progress.

Archived