onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

On 15/03/2021 at 13:02, Iron Curtain said:

It makes the decision not to play Burgess after is relatively ok performances quite strange... Im assuming he must have picked up a knock?

burgess is not rated at all it seems. I imagine the only reason taylor will be here next season is he has a 3 year deal from the start of next season. could be wrong, but they are out in the cold atm.

Advert

10 minutes ago, 1 said:

burgess is not rated at all it seems. I imagine the only reason taylor will be here next season is he has a 3 year deal from the start of next season. could be wrong, but they are out in the cold atm.

Get him on the transfer list - Sproson said teams tripping over one another to sign him 😉

2 hours ago, Bimbleabout said:

So we go back to 4/3/3 and we are on fire. We haven't a team full of useless players that don't try. I've never believed this and will never slate our lads.
Confidence plays a huge part in any team. Also there is the psychological impact on the team of, again, finding themselves in a relegation fight. Especially after doing so well last season. The club is still being rebuilt after the fat controllers legacy and alot of our lads are still at the club having had to endure his bollox.
I believe no player wants to be in a relegation battle. No player wants to be in a team that gets relegated out of the league. It's crazy to think they do.
Whatever went on behind the scenes and things like big Leon being dropped for apparently no reason would have a huge impact on the team.
Injuries too first team players, resulting in young experienced players having to carry the mantle of a relegation fight will have a massive impact on them with a huge burden of responsibility.
All of the team have performed in the past. For our club and for others. They don't suddenly turn into no hopers who don't care just because they come to the Vale. It's extenuating circumstances that turn them into low confidence and bad performers. We will never know what these circumstances were.
We are rebuilding as a club in every single aspect. Still rebuilding from that <ovf censored>. It takes time. But the foundations are now in place, at last, thanks to Carol and Kevin.
The retained list will be very interesting to say the least, but we should approach it with caution and accept and understand the factors as to why we have been underachieving this season.
KTF emoji123.png UTV

Excellent overview.

Biggest factor last night was having more of our first choice players available.

Playing 433 may have been important, along with adjustments made during the game.

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

Excellent overview.

Biggest factor last night was having more of our first choice players available.

Playing 433 may have been important, along with adjustments made during the game.

You could argue that last night we had 9 of our strongest team playing 

Gibbons and Amoo missing. Although obviously there has ( rightly ) been a clamour for Pope to get on the end of some of the glorious Worrall deliveries. So maybe 8/9 of our best X1 started the game. 

I've personally said as have umpteen others that our strongest side is more than capable. Our squad sadly isn't. We can get away with a couple out as we did last night but when it becomes 4,5 or 6 we are pretty dreadful. 

This summer we HAVE to sign players who are first team ready which is something we haven't done really. Hence the stagnation and regression. 

You can't expect no injuries or suspensions so we are no different to all other teams, it's just our back up players have in the main been pants 

Going to be a huge summer for Flitcroft and Clarke.

We all get guilty of going overboard whether we win or lose.

Yes players will have the opportunity to change the mind of Clarke but I have complete faith that we are going to have a ruthless cull including some favourites of us all.

No room for sentiment at all , we have to have a massive clearout and not base it on players suddenly having a good couple of games .

Personally I'd struggle to name more than 6 I'd keep . Also sadly burdened with some still under contract next year too 

To me the retained list (or those with a future shall I say) is this:

Smith

Gibbons

Conlon

Taylor

Rodney

Worrall

Pope (12 months + Coaching role)

Brown (12 months)

Legge (12 months)

Burgess (what's gone wrong?)

All effort must be made to replace Legge, sign a Left Back and most importantly a top quality Striker

23 minutes ago, pete vale said:

To me the retained list (or those with a future shall I say) is this:

Smith

Gibbons

Conlon

Taylor

Rodney

Worrall

Pope (12 months + Coaching role)

Brown (12 months)

Legge (12 months)

Burgess (what's gone wrong?)

All effort must be made to replace Legge, sign a Left Back and most importantly a top quality Striker

Agree with this, though I’d be happy giving Monty 12 months and Manny 12 months/a pay as you play deal.

Of all players (in contract and out of contract), I'd only be looking to keep:

Gibbons
Smith
Worrall
Taylor
Manny (only if DC thinks he can keep him fit)
Conlon
Rodney
Burgess (still young enough to improve)
Hurst (still young enough to improve)

The rest can go for me. Massive let down this season, unrest, undermining the manager, not getting any younger or simply not good enough.

On 17/03/2021 at 15:35, darren1810 said:

You could argue that last night we had 9 of our strongest team playing 

Gibbons and Amoo missing. Although obviously there has ( rightly ) been a clamour for Pope to get on the end of some of the glorious Worrall deliveries. So maybe 8/9 of our best X1 started the game. 

I've personally said as have umpteen others that our strongest side is more than capable. Our squad sadly isn't. We can get away with a couple out as we did last night but when it becomes 4,5 or 6 we are pretty dreadful. 

This summer we HAVE to sign players who are first team ready which is something we haven't done really. Hence the stagnation and regression. 

You can't expect no injuries or suspensions so we are no different to all other teams, it's just our back up players have in the main been pants 

I do think that fringe players have suffered this season because we do not have regular reserve games.

We are asking them to come into the first team and perform to a level that could take them 4 or 5 consecutive games to get up to speed. 

I also believe that this is the reason for the many hamstring injuries that players have suffered this season, especially on our very heavy home turf. 

Gibbo

Smith

Worrall

Conlon 

Taylor

Rodney

-

Monty 1 year - but only if he can play all the remaining games with no fuss

Can’t justify keeping anyone else if we are serious about turning a relegation threatened team into a serious top half contender.

I’m pleased with what we’ve achieved over the last 2 games but we want to build a team that don’t start as underdogs against Newport - rather be a team that is expected to eat them alive at home. Carol will provide the financial support to make that absolutely achievable I’m sure.

4 hours ago, philmpv said:

Of all players (in contract and out of contract), I'd only be looking to keep:

Gibbons
Smith
Worrall
Taylor
Manny (only if DC thinks he can keep him fit)
Conlon
Rodney
Burgess (still young enough to improve)
Hurst (still young enough to improve)

The rest can go for me. Massive let down this season, unrest, undermining the manager, not getting any younger or simply not good enough

I tend to agree except Hurst - I don' think he's up to league level. For me he needs a few seasons playing lower league football to improve his game and physical shape.

I would add Monty as a backup and possibly Crookes to the list, depending who else is available for the money. I think its always good to have a capable utility defender in a squad.

We will have a core of a decent L2 team next season but need much much better quality and character with 12 new players to turn us into a team with playoffs ambitions.

The biggest priority has to be the spine of the team. GK,CB,LB,DM and CF where we need to spend some money and get leaders who are much younger and mobile than we have today.

I think, judging by what DC have hinted, reading between the lines etc, that Legge is here next season as well. 

I think we will see the vast majority of those out of contract go. I'll be very very surprised, to see more than 2 or 3 of them, offered new contracts. He'd want a more mobile central midfield, plus more options at defensive mid, defenders that are able to actually pass a ball and strikers that actually score.  I'd like to REALLY see us go for quality over quantity, as has been said before, instead of signing 4 'meh' strikers, sign 2 very good ones at this level for the same money etc.

Archived