onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

5 hours ago, TylerB said:

Brown - Not a great season for him individually, but keep. We'll really struggle to find a better keeper.

Visser - Keep. Always looks reliable. Unlucky with injury this season.

Gibbons - Keep. Needs to stay clear of injury but he's a good player at this sort of level, and can get better.

Mills - Get rid. Just not very good to put it mildly. 

Smith - Never been a fan, but would keep on the premise that he can still improve. Can never fault his attitude.

Legge - Get rid. Brilliant servant but his legs have gone and at times can almost look a liability.

Fitzpatrick - Get rid. By no means our worst player but another who's not up to the mark.

Brisley - Bang average. We have worse players, but if he can't get into our first 11 regularly....

Crookes - Keep. Has improved massively under Clarke and is at a good age.

Joyce - Same as Legge.

Whitehead - Get rid. Nowhere near good enough. Couldn't pass wind correctly, it probably comes out of his nostrils too.

Burgess - Get rid. Offers very little. Has gone backwards this season.

Conlon - Keep. Decent player but not someone you would build a team around.

Taylor - Awful since his return but he's on a long contract. So keep.

Oyeleke - Get rid. A liability. Has the ability but clearly not up to the physical demands of professional football.

Hurst - Keep. Has a lot of improving to do but there's something there to work with.

Worrall - Keep. Our best player clearly. By a distance. Still think he should score a few more goals though.

Amoo - Get rid. Injury hit, and even when he's not he doesn't do enough often enough.

Montano - Keep, more for sentiments than anything else. Another who can't seem to put a run of games together.

Rodney - Keep. Frustrates everyone but should only get better. Has a first touch that could clear most Runways.

Cullen - Get rid. Simply not good enough.

Guthrie - Somehow manages to be just as poor as Theo Robinson. Bradford fans were absolutely bang on.

Robinson - Get rid. We would be better off playing Anne Robinson. Hopeless again.

Pope - Keep. Will still score goals at this level or the one below. Arguably our second best player still.

I wouldn't be bothered if we released both keepers, Pope, Crookes, Montano, and Hurst. I have zero sentiment/confidence in this squad and the more wages + bodies we can shift, the better. Carol is resetting the club with the new structure and the playing squad needs to reflect this.

Detonate the current set-up and build again. This might take some time but if we're committing to this new approach, then let's do it probably and not hand out deals to finished players/players unlikely to ever be good enough. If Flitcroft is as good as he says, with the help of the new recruitment analyst, he should be able to assemble a competitive squad on what is a decent League 2 budget.

Of the players you'd get rid of, Whitehead, Amoo, and Robinson all have a further year on their deals and may be content to see them out if they can't get the same money elsewhere. 

From what has been said, Legge will be here next year.

Advert

keep the following....

Brown - maybe as back up if we can find a younger option

Gibbons - easily one of our better players

Crookes - has improved enough to stay

Smith - not had a great season, but good enough for L2

Conlon - easy choice this one

Hurst - Keep, but not as a first choice option

Worrall - Our best player by a mile 

Taylor no choice but to keep, but farm him out on loan

Rodney worth keeping, but maybe not an automatic choice

Pope - worth another season as back up? ....will see how the rest of this season goes first

the rest can do one

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

I wouldn't be bothered if we released both keepers,..

Bit unfair on Visser? Has always looked a steady replacement for a GK who's definitely been dodgier this season, and directly responsible for some goals being gifted! Keep Visser as no. 1, and look for a 20-something year old and let them fight for that first team place?

11 hours ago, valeparklife said:

If I was in charge I'd be utterly ruthless.

Gibbons, Smith (backup), Conlon, Taylor (he will come good), Rodney (backup), Worrall.

That's it.

that's not ruthless, it's a necessity if we are going to be serious about finishing in the top half next season.

1 hour ago, Howjy04 said:

Visser,Brown,

Smith,Gibbons,Crookes

Wozza,Taylor,Conlon,Manny?Monty?

Dave

One year deals for those out of contract.**** the rest off.

I'd agree with the sentiment to get rid but one of the problems is that some have contracts already so unless we pay 'em off they are staying too.

For instance, Burgess has another year as does Robinson and Whitehead. 

Also, for me, although it's very harsh I can't see with his injury record why we should give Manny a deal unless it's a short term pay as you play one.

1 minute ago, robf said:

I'd agree with the sentiment to get rid but one of the problems is that some have contracts already so unless we pay 'em off they are staying too.

Also, for me, although it's very harsh I can't see with his injury record why we should give Manny a deal unless it's a short term pay as you play one.

It makes the decision not to play Burgess after is relatively ok performances quite strange... Im assuming he must have picked up a knock?

47 minutes ago, robf said:

Burgess is one I forgot about Rob.Manny obviously has to prove his fitness under the new management.Maybe they have found Lol Hamlett’s bucket and sponge.Robinson can go now under the trade description act.

So we go back to 4/3/3 and we are on fire. We haven't a team full of useless players that don't try. I've never believed this and will never slate our lads.
Confidence plays a huge part in any team. Also there is the psychological impact on the team of, again, finding themselves in a relegation fight. Especially after doing so well last season. The club is still being rebuilt after the fat controllers legacy and alot of our lads are still at the club having had to endure his bollox.
I believe no player wants to be in a relegation battle. No player wants to be in a team that gets relegated out of the league. It's crazy to think they do.
Whatever went on behind the scenes and things like big Leon being dropped for apparently no reason would have a huge impact on the team.
Injuries too first team players, resulting in young experienced players having to carry the mantle of a relegation fight will have a massive impact on them with a huge burden of responsibility.
All of the team have performed in the past. For our club and for others. They don't suddenly turn into no hopers who don't care just because they come to the Vale. It's extenuating circumstances that turn them into low confidence and bad performers. We will never know what these circumstances were.
We are rebuilding as a club in every single aspect. Still rebuilding from that <ovf censored>. It takes time. But the foundations are now in place, at last, thanks to Carol and Kevin.
The retained list will be very interesting to say the least, but we should approach it with caution and accept and understand the factors as to why we have been underachieving this season.
KTF UTV

Looks like Robinson is getting games because he will inevitably have to stay. Any pay off with over a year left on a deal will be not be far off a full settlement, which won’t benefit the club, only him as he can go elsewhere and play for even more money! 

Or he's being put on the radar to be sold?

Looks like Robinson is getting games because he will inevitably have to stay. Any pay off with over a year left on a deal will be not be far off a full settlement, which won’t benefit the club, only him as he can go elsewhere and play for even more money! 

4 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Basic economics, how many players are we going to bring in? More than 10? 3 or 4 first teamers are the priority.  The cost of a replacement if Robbo can contribute during the rest of the season would be more than keeping him.

Archived