League 2 Relegation fight

16 hours ago, 1 said:

Bye bye Barrow

Don’t think so. They’re putting a few results together. Suspect Grimsby will go, then it’s one from a handful. Because of goal difference think Southend are 6 points behind, from memory.

Think 3 wins would do us, once we get a win it will be massive for confidence. Problem is at the moment don’t know where the win is coming from.

• Like 3

Advert:

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We could have 90 shots on goal and they could be down to 8 men and Alan Buckley would trip over his laces and head the ball into the goal from 30 yards and we’d lose 1-0 .......may have something to d

I did mate, I also described Bolton as horrific.  What I'm saying is since we beat Southend we have 2 points and they have 7 albeit from one more game. You only have to look at Fulham. Newca

Grimsby still have to play Tranmere, Salford, Cheltenham, Bradford, Bolton, Exeter and Cambridge AND still have to make 10 points up on us Barrow still have to play Cheltenham, Newport, Exeter tw

Posted Images

Grimsby are gone and look like they’ll do well to make 30-35 points, we are effectively with GD 11 clear of them.

Then it’s one from Southend, Barrow, Vale, Colchester or a real blow up from Walsall, Mansfield or Oldham.

Barrow have games in hand but Southend is a funny one; bar the FGR game when they scored a couple of worldie strikes they don’t score goals, 5 blanks in 6, thankfully Nile Ranger lasted 12 minutes before injury ended his season leaving their options limited and they’ve only scored 21 all season. That in itself deserves relegation.

It’s hard to not feel negative about us though at the moment, I guess if we take the emotion out of it we can say we’ve lost three but two were against sides top of the league on the day and the other away to a side unbeaten at home in a year... so it wasn’t the easiest task and at least those games are out of the way.

Our run in is a mixed bag now, tougher games at home than away, it’s in our own hands and this run of games coming up is an opportunity to get the results needed, Oldham and Newport at home, Colchester and Crawley away are games we’ve got to be picking up points from, need 10-12 more points so a couple wins and the odd draw from those would leave us in a half decent position to attack the last 8 games.

Come out of them poorly and we are in deep deep trouble.

• Like 1

Time for DF, DC and the first team to earn their wages and pull us out of this hole we’ve got ourselves in. Blaming past recruitment, past managers, team formations are long past the sell by date now. 

Do your job your paid to and keep us in this division.

• Like 5

If we did go down, which looks pretty much certain, I'd hope it would trigger a complete reset in the club, and we could one day return to the EFL in a better place.

Since the 2002-03 season, of the 35 teams in the picture below, 25 are in a higher league position than us. 

We've been overtaken for years by teams coming up from non-league. How many would you say were 'bigger' clubs than us? Probably only Oxford.

When we go down, I only hope we can come back quickly, and it makes us stronger because of it.

image.png.7c20ab7cfd5e52ed0624ee5f7a5f41a1.png

2 hours ago, sheffieldclayhead said:

Time for DF, DC and the first team to earn their wages and pull us out of this hole we’ve got ourselves in. Blaming past recruitment, past managers, team formations are long past the sell by date now. 

Do your job your paid to and keep us in this division.

Past recruitment, last manager, team selection & signings are entirely to blame. Not somebody who has been in the job for 3 weeks 

• Like 3

Advert:

On 25/02/2021 at 20:20, Conrad said:

And a strike force that doesn’t score goals.

Yes,it's a funny old game.

One minute you can go on a 68 game unbeaten run and the next minute go and lose 6 consecutive home games scoring just one goal.

KTF.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Yes,it's a funny old game.

One minute you can go on a 68 game unbeaten run and the next minute go and lose 6 consecutive home games scoring just one goal.

KTF.

Confidence and lack of injuries  are massive factors.

• Like 2

If we do go down and it’s still a big IF some of the happy clappers on here will say we can’t expect to bounce right back straightaway if we can finish mid table that will be a good achievement 

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

If we did go down, which looks pretty much certain, I'd hope it would trigger a complete reset in the club, and we could one day return to the EFL in a better place.

image.png.7c20ab7cfd5e52ed0624ee5f7a5f41a1.png

A complete reset? We've already started that with Flickers and Clarke. I'm sure Clarke would probably be gone by Christmas if next season started badly but Flitcroft will be here for years to come, even if we were to go down. All the people being hired now will probably stay too.

There will be something of a reset of the playing squad in the summer regardless of what happens. But Carol's already set the long term structure of the club so err, get feeling the synergy moving forward to a dynamic future I guess.

Advert:

The problem statistically is staring us in the face. To state the obvious, we're conceding too many goals.  Although we've not been scoring too many goals of late, our total tally of 43 goals so far is actually the 8th largest in the division! Unfortunately, only two teams, Grimsby & Oldham have conceded more goals than the 49 scored against us. In fairness to Darrell Clarke, he has at leasttried to address that problem and shore up the defence. Not trying to make excuses for yesterday, but the mix-up between goalkeeper and defender for their 1st goal was one of those things that can happen (all too often at the moment for Scott Brown whose great early season form and confidence appear to have deserted him) and the second goal was a sheer fluke that's come straight down from the underside of the crossbar and hit Scott on the back--pure fluke! I've not got rose-tinted specs-we're definitely in the soft stuff, but we just have to hope that we can get some luck and goals soon.

Vale have to stop conceding "silly goals", each of Cheltenham's goals yesterday had an element of very poor play by Vale or luck for the home team. The Cheltenham commentators yesterday said Southend looked a more organized, compact and better defensive team than Vale, concerning to say the least.

For Salford's goal on Tuesday the two Vale defenders in the box were ball watching, not one of them was looking at Henderson and where were Vale's defensive midfield players who're supposed to be sitting centrally in front of the back 4.

Vale have to get tighter at the back, stop crosses coming in, stop giving away needless free kicks at both ends of the pitch and having a defensive midfield player behind the ball at all times especially if playing with attacking full backs.

Vale never seem to find the 2nd ball in the opposition box arrives at the foot of a Vale player, it did yesterday twice but we were already 3-0 down.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wrex said:

A complete reset? We've already started that with Flickers and Clarke. I'm sure Clarke would probably be gone by Christmas if next season started badly but Flitcroft will be here for years to come, even if we were to go down. All the people being hired now will probably stay too.

There will be something of a reset of the playing squad in the summer regardless of what happens. But Carol's already set the long term structure of the club so err, get feeling the synergy moving forward to a dynamic future I guess.

I pick up on your irony,wish things were more positive

Edited by Aguar61

3 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

If we do go down and it’s still a big IF some of the happy clappers on here will say we can’t expect to bounce right back straightaway if we can finish mid table that will be a good achievement 

We wouldnt bounce back very rare for it to happen.

36 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

I pick up on your irony,wish things were more positive

2 hours ago, Wrex said:

Flitcroft has been very clever by not becoming manager himself. The manager is the first to go when things are bad so C;larke would go and Flitcroft stays. Cynical view but clever move.

• Like 1

Advert:

We are fourth bottom they are 3 worse teams than us we have scored about 20 more goals than Southend ,if every player in our teams plays well we will win some games between now and end of season .

If our goalie gets off his line and commands his area that be good if our players stay with there man that be good and be good if we didnt let teams have free second phase shots at our goal as really we should be the ones on the end of them especially around our own box .

UTV 

6 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Past recruitment, last manager, team selection & signings are entirely to blame. Not somebody who has been in the job for 3 weeks 

We have 13 games left to save ourselves. If we only look back at the 33 so far and dwell / blame we will go down. We all know what’s gone on and who or what is to blame. We need the team / management to just do their job and not be held back due to games / issues of the past.

5 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I guarantee if we went down we’d probably get better away visitors than we ever did pre Covid in this division. The likes of Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham and Stockport would bring many more fans than anyone in this division apart from Bradford on a good day. 

I would say the conf premier has more league heritage than league 2 itself these days. 

• Like 1