League 2 Relegation fight

I was very reliably informed that we are the Walsall haters.

We hate Walsall, we hate Walsall
We hate Walsall, we hate Walsall....

• Like 1

Advert:

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We could have 90 shots on goal and they could be down to 8 men and Alan Buckley would trip over his laces and head the ball into the goal from 30 yards and we’d lose 1-0 .......may have something to d

I did mate, I also described Bolton as horrific.  What I'm saying is since we beat Southend we have 2 points and they have 7 albeit from one more game. You only have to look at Fulham. Newca

Grimsby still have to play Tranmere, Salford, Cheltenham, Bradford, Bolton, Exeter and Cambridge AND still have to make 10 points up on us Barrow still have to play Cheltenham, Newport, Exeter tw

Posted Images

We could have 90 shots on goal and they could be down to 8 men and Alan Buckley would trip over his laces and head the ball into the goal from 30 yards and we’d lose 1-0 .......may have something to do with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Walsall have always been our main rivals in my time supporting the Vale, you could add to that Chester, Wrexham, Chesterfield and Shrewsbury in my opinion, not in any particular order but Walsall certainly topped the list.
Stoke and Crewe are/were way down the pecking order.

• Like 1

Advert:

18 minutes ago, Doha said:

1 + 1 = .....

A historic rivalry which is exactly that, historic. Hence we are starting to create or recreate a rivalry. Walsall have meant nothing to Vale (and vice versa) for how many years? I might be showing my age and being naive so please forgive me. 

I don’t know one Walsall fan, it’s basically on the verge of Birmingham. I can’t remember ever having a conversation with any Vale fan about a dislike of Walsall.

Only Stoke will ever be our rivals, to me. We share the same City. 

3 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

Walsall have always been our main rivals in my time supporting the Vale, you could add to that Chester, Wrexham, Chesterfield and Shrewsbury in my opinion, not in any particular order but Walsall certainly topped the list.
Stoke and Crewe are/were way down the pecking order.

Interesting to see a completely different view point from the older generation. 

I can’t understand how Chester, Wrexham and Shrewsbury could ever be more of a rival to us than Stoke?

Posted (edited)

I've always hated the neigbours first. And Walsall second. Just always thought this was the natural scheme of things as a Vale fan. 

And I'm not that old....

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, toyahw said:

I've always hated the <ovf censored> first. And Walsall second. Just always thought this was the natural scheme of things as a Vale fan. 

It is, I never thought it was in doubt.

• Like 2

I might be in the wrong and need educating, so apologies if I’m mistaken. 

I’m in my mid 20’s and I’ve always hated Stoke (without actually seeing us play them much), but that’s it. Can’t say that I’ve ever noticed Walsall much. 

Advert:

8 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

I can’t understand how Chester, Wrexham and Shrewsbury could ever be more of a rival to us than Stoke?

All the teams listed by Fred, we played every year.

We took thousands away to them every year.

As for stoke we may have gone  30 years and were lucjy to get two friendlies i think against them.

Could also add to Fred,s list Bury and Stockport, almost every year we played these teams.

Walsall were the most hated of all teams

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

A historic rivalry which is exactly that, historic. Hence we are starting to create or recreate a rivalry. Walsall have meant nothing to Vale (and vice versa) for how many years? I might be showing my age and being naive so please forgive me. 

I don’t know one Walsall fan, it’s basically on the verge of Birmingham. I can’t remember ever having a conversation with any Vale fan about a dislike of Walsall.

Only Stoke will ever be our rivals, to me. We share the same City. 

I fundamentally disagree with your comment earlier about 'creating' a rivalry.

It's always been there. I've heard some reyt stories about the 60s-80s.

They're an insignificant group of yokels playing with a Cabbage for a ball under a grim Flyover but they're geographically close enough that the atmospheric edge is there.

Beating Crewe and watching the Year 9s in the Gresty end holding back tears makes me laugh. That's about it. Weird little club with weird superiority complex addled fans who have long needed to be brought down several pegs. Beating Walsall however gives me the kind of smirk I had when Monty scored the third in the tinpot trophy in front of a very confused, very angry primate enclosure. 

No idea what BHF is on about. Toyah is right.

The league is as follows - 

Stoke <ovf censored>.

--------

Walsall.

Crewe/Shewsbury.

Chester/Wrexham for historical....heated disagreements in the car park. 

1 minute ago, Doha said:

I fundamentally disagree with your comment earlier about 'creating' a rivalry.

It's always been there. I've heard some reyt stories about the 60s-80s.

They're an insignificant group of yokels playing with a Cabbage for a ball under a grim Flyover but they're geographically close enough that the atmospheric edge is there.

Beating Crewe and watching the Year 9s in the Gresty end holding back tears makes me laugh. That's about it. Weird little club with weird superiority complex addled fans who have long needed to be brought down several pegs. Beating Walsall however gives me the kind of smirk I had when Monty scored the third in the tinpot trophy in front of a very confused, very angry primate enclosure. 

No idea what BHF is on about. Toyah is right.

The league is as follows - 

That’s fair enough. Perhaps it’s an age thing. How come the Walsall rivalry died off a little?

I agree with your Shrewsbury and Crewe comments. 

Personally I’ve only ever seen Stoke as our rivals. Regardless of whether we play them every year or every twenty years. 

Take a look at our record against Walsall from 1960s till a few years ago. 

It wasn't that they were just up the road, it was our record against them no matter how well we played summat would go wrong.

Remember watching the returning Footex's coming through Stoke in steam days. They were never happy trains.

29 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

But we rarely played Stoke who were usually 2 Divs above,  1951 3rd round 2-2, 0-1,  1954/7 Div2 6 games,  then nothing until 1989. There was no segregation in those days, things were quieter.  Whereas Walsall was about the only regular trip in the 3rd South, changing to the 3rd North gave more trips. Obviously the 3 & 4 Divs gave more variety within 50/60 miles.

Advert:

What a game Satdee looks for Walsall .... would be brilliant to see them loose at Grimsby.

I will be very happy to see them relegated along with Barrow (I'm sure they won't) who I think are cheating the league. EFL should have stepped in there - any player they couldn't shift in January who they have given furlough pay to should be paid back to the government. How is that fair to other clubs in L2?

Morally vey very wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm 34 and it was always hammered into me that we hate Walsall from the old man. I don't despise them, but I don't like them and it's a brilliant day out, being so easy on the train from Birmingham. So I'd prefer them to stay up.

Obviously I grew up with us playing (and beating) Stoke, so that will always the big one for me. I will always hate the bastards, even if we never play again. It's the only game that I'm truly bothered if we win or lose. The game would bother me for days before and it makes or break your next 6 months at school/work until you play again. 

I don't hate Crewe, I enjoy the day out and the banter, obviously prefer to win but it's not the end of the world if we lose. Crewe and Shrewsbury are on a similar level to me. 

-Edit- Forgot Wrexham, that was always 'tasty' when I was younger. 17/18 year old dick head me loved the famous away game. Put them on the shelf with Crewe/Shrews

Edited by Mellor!
  • Like 2