League 2 Relegation fight

7 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

The four we have lost were against 3 of the top six and Salford. We lost by one goal in each case. We’re not getting walloped  like we were against an out of form Mansfield. In their 7 games Barrow have played one of the top six - Bolton - which they lost.

And our next game is against another top six team.

How many people on here predicted anything but a loss yesterday?  How many thought we would stop Doyle having a kick?  How many thought they would win with a fluke - one of only two shots they had on target?

We need a win without any shadow of a doubt but we also need a little good fortune - a miss kick going in like their goal yesterday would be a nice start!

Do agree to some extent but as you quote their manager previously i will add that the pitch and the weather had more to do with stopping Bolton than we did.

Wish Conlon had sliced his shot, it may have gone in. We lost to a fluke goal and we are desperate for some luck.

You do agree that luck does play a big part in the final position a team finishes in

Advert:

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We could have 90 shots on goal and they could be down to 8 men and Alan Buckley would trip over his laces and head the ball into the goal from 30 yards and we’d lose 1-0 .......may have something to d

I did mate, I also described Bolton as horrific.  What I'm saying is since we beat Southend we have 2 points and they have 7 albeit from one more game. You only have to look at Fulham. Newca

Grimsby still have to play Tranmere, Salford, Cheltenham, Bradford, Bolton, Exeter and Cambridge AND still have to make 10 points up on us Barrow still have to play Cheltenham, Newport, Exeter tw

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

But that's my point, we didn't expect to beat Bolton - who on here predicted we would?  You didn't for a start.

We lost. Prediction was correct.

There were many that predicted a win against Oldham. We lost prediction waswrong.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

What we think on here and what actually happens are two totally different things.  Everyone thought we would get hammered when we went to Bolton but look what happened.  What I find annoying is when folk on here predict we will lose - like they did against Bolton yesterday - yet go barmy when it happens and can't understand why we did exactly what they expected us to do.

I think we'll beat Newport.  They struggled to beat us down there even when we went down to 10 men.  They won at Morecambe yesterday but only after the home team had gone down to 10 men after half an hour.  We are due a flukey goal and an away sending off.  You heard it here first!

Lets hope we have lots of luck.

We are due some.

We lost. Prediction was correct.
There were many that predicted a win against Oldham. We lost prediction waswrong.

Must have missed us losing to Oldham
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

I don't think we are bigger than those clubs or Notts County.

Wrexham,Stockport,Chesterfield,Notts County....

My 50 years have seen us compete with all the above and have regular battles almost yearly. We are all in the same bracket for clubs,support,teams etc and they are all our level competition

• Like 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Do agree to some extent but as you quote their manager previously i will add that the pitch and the weather had more to do with stopping Bolton than we did.

Wish Conlon had sliced his shot, it may have gone in. We lost to a fluke goal and we are desperate for some luck.

You do agree that luck does play a big part in the final position a team finishes in

Luck plays a part. I remember Everton staying up years ago when the ref didn’t give a goal they conceded against Bolton when the ball crossed the line. The same thing happened  with the Villa last season when Sheff Utd’s “goal” wasn’t given because the tech had broken down. 

• Like 1

Wrexham,Stockport,Chesterfield,Notts County....
My 50 years have seen us compete with all the above and have regular battles almost yearly. We are all in the same bracket for clubs,support,teams etc and they are all our level competition
You can add Darlington, Torquay, Aldershot, Hereford, Chester and more to that list.
I never understand this "We are a bigger club than them" tripe.
We are where we are for a reason and so are they.
Years and years of mismanagement and lack of investment, poor recruitment etc keep teams like ours down in the lower leagues.
Carol seems to understand this and is putting in funds and recruiting the sort of personnel that hopefully can alter our course.
It may take time, it will take time but I believe we are on the right tracks and look forward to seeing us competing at the higher levels of league football in the not too distant future.
UTV
  • Like 3

On 13/03/2021 at 19:57, Sid said:

Walsall fan here in peace.  I genuinely fear for both of us this season and that is down one man - DC.  He's left us with the poorest Walsall team I can remember and spent most weeks picking names and formations out of a hat.  We now have his long time assistant who's spent years learning all the poor managemnent decisions from him and now we don't look like scoring.  Ever.  By the sounds of it, you are in a similar position - poor players with a manager who blames everyone else for everything - players, fans, tea lady.  He is not a manager who can get the best out of or improve bang average or worse League 2 players.  His last 14 matches in charge of Walsall / Vale - 0 wins.  And not many goals.  Honestly, we weren't at all sorry and bitter when we were trying to tell you about him.  For both our sakes let's hope the teams below us are even worse than us.

Worrying times for both of us as I said.  This season may be the season that one manger dragged 2 teams into a relegation dogfight.

Advert:

27 minutes ago, Sid said:

Worrying times for both of us as I said.  This season may be the season that one manger dragged 2 teams into a relegation dogfight.

Apparently if Walsall get dragged into a relegation scrap that means Clarke is a good manager... somehow. Ominous sign for next season anyway

Have a look at Barnet’s current squad. They are absolutely cut adrift at the bottom of the conference. 

Yet on paper, looking through their squad it probably has more proven FL players than we have! JJ Hooper as a FW for example. 

It is scary how poor our squad really is if you look at around at what some other teams have. 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Incredible people are talking about “luck” to help us stay in the 4th division! It really does say it all. 

Luck is a big factor in football, normally it levels out. But it can tip a team down or give a lift up. Apart from in the games where one goal is decisive, it also matters what the state of the other team is at. are they on a good or bad run irrespective of their league position, are key players out for that game.   Unfortunately it is the situation  for us at present,  without goals and wins confidence drains, a single goal can turn the tide. 

• Like 2

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2021/03/15/interviews-begin-for-walsall-director-of-football-as-club-backs-head-coach-brian-dutton/

Walsall are now looking for a director of football. Chairman says he backs the manager, Clarke's old assistant, unless results don't improve. Guess that's the old "vote of confidence" i.e.  two more defeats and you're sacked

Have a look at Barnet’s current squad. They are absolutely cut adrift at the bottom of the conference. 
Yet on paper, looking through their squad it probably has more proven FL players than we have! JJ Hooper as a FW for example. 
It is scary how poor our squad really is if you look at around at what some other teams have. 
JJ Hooper was absolute dross. He certainly isn't a proven FL player.
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

13 minutes ago, Walter said:
9 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

JJ Hooper was absolute dross. He certainly isn't a proven FL player.

He scored 10..yes 10 goals in league 1 for us in 51 games. 

That’s more than Cullen, Robertson and Guthrie have managed combined in league 2. In Cullen’s case that is over 2 seasons. 

39 minutes ago, Wrex said:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2021/03/15/interviews-begin-for-walsall-director-of-football-as-club-backs-head-coach-brian-dutton/

Walsall are now looking for a director of football. Chairman says he backs the manager, Clarke's old assistant, unless results don't improve. Guess that's the old "vote of confidence" i.e.  two more defeats and you're sacked

But this is the long term solution to Clarke who he had lined up long ago for inevitably taking the job? People will say anything in football.

10 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Incredible people are talking about “luck” to help us stay in the 4th division! It really does say it all. 

Realistically Southend are neck deep in financial trouble and have sold off all saleable assets to literally stay as a football club. I get that they are trying to stay in the league, but the club is set up to drop down and rebuild. It’s  not a serious survival bid, it’s a massive bonus if they stay up because they are left with a skeleton of kids to fulfil the fixtures.

That state of affairs is what’s keeping us, a team with a top half playing-budget wise, from dropping.

we are giving hope to the hopeless