onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 2 Relegation fight

tommytunstall

Standing on the Bycars singing/shouting tunelessly to the tune of Dambusters, "We all hate Stoke and Stoke and Stoke, Stoke and Stoke and Stoke, and Stoke and Stoke, we all f@£&ing hate Stoke AND WALSALL"......sums it up really. Went Fellows Park one Tuesday night game...we were our normal crap against them, could have just sent a set of shirts out really, lost 2-0 and then got chased around the dark streets not knowing where we were going, got separated from my mates and it was only some kind older Yam Yams that saw me and got me back to the coaches.....I was about 15, I think! Bricking it and that is why I hate Walsall even without the results we had against them.....we couldn't buy a win against them anywhere!

Advert

Have to remember folks that for post 2002 fans (like me, who started in 2003), Stoke are the main target of hatred, but from afar. I've never seen a proper Potteries Derby.

Football is driven by rivalries so the artificial concotion of hatred of Walsall, Crewe, and to an extent Shrewsbury and Wrexham are all we've got at present. I've got no issue with it and its far more enjoyable than a silent Tuesday night game at home to Stevenage with their travelling 23 fans.

11 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Personally I’d want Walsall to stay up. They’ll bring more fans than most away sides and it’s a great away day. I’ve personally never really seen the rivalry between the clubs 

It was created mainly because they became our bogie team,big time.You could count on two hands the number of times we beat them.In the time I've been supporting Vale, we've won 10 games against Walsall's 31!!!

There was a time when fans went Stoke one week and Vale the other, some supported one, some the other and some both.
The reason I don't hold Stoke at the top of the list is because when I started we were leagues apart and were so for years.
Walsall, Chester, Stockport et all we played regularly and often didn't fare too well - especially Walsall.

While we're on about bogey teams, the ones for me were Walsall and Notts County, the former had Alan Buckley who in his 1st spell at Walsall scored a goal every two games and one every three games in his 2nd spell and he always seemed to do something against Vale. Notts had Les Bradd who was a pain in the butt, he averaged a goal every 3 games for them.

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

Have to remember folks that for post 2002 fans (like me, who started in 2003), Stoke are the main target of hatred, but from afar. I've never seen a proper Potteries Derby.

One day hopefully mate.. absolutely electric. Sick to your stomach for days before hand and the tension in everyday life surrounding it was addictive.

Im not ashamed to say I worked myself up so much before the bogie 12 second goal game when I was 15 that when he scored I burst into tears. 

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

One day hopefully mate.. absolutely electric. Sick to your stomach for days before hand and the tension in everyday life surrounding it was addictive.

Im not ashamed to say I worked myself up so much before the bogie 12 second goal game when I was 15 that when he scored I burst into tears. 

Or that memorable rainy night when we put them out of the FA Cup... What a year that was.. There I was in the uncovered Lorne Street soaked to the skin loving it when Dave Regis rounded the keeper only to roll the ball into a puddle, and not too long later Foyle rounded their keeper but passed the ball inches off the ground into the net for the winner..

Special nights, more special for the rivally which is sadly missing. As stated earlier though, in the entire history of Port Vale we rarely mix in the same company. 

Archived