onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 2 Relegation fight

tommytunstall

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

If we did go down, which looks pretty much certain, I'd hope it would trigger a complete reset in the club, and we could one day return to the EFL in a better place.

image.png.7c20ab7cfd5e52ed0624ee5f7a5f41a1.png

A complete reset? We've already started that with Flickers and Clarke. I'm sure Clarke would probably be gone by Christmas if next season started badly but Flitcroft will be here for years to come, even if we were to go down. All the people being hired now will probably stay too.

There will be something of a reset of the playing squad in the summer regardless of what happens. But Carol's already set the long term structure of the club so err, get feeling the synergy moving forward to a dynamic future I guess.

Advert

The problem statistically is staring us in the face. To state the obvious, we're conceding too many goals.  Although we've not been scoring too many goals of late, our total tally of 43 goals so far is actually the 8th largest in the division! Unfortunately, only two teams, Grimsby & Oldham have conceded more goals than the 49 scored against us. In fairness to Darrell Clarke, he has at leasttried to address that problem and shore up the defence. Not trying to make excuses for yesterday, but the mix-up between goalkeeper and defender for their 1st goal was one of those things that can happen (all too often at the moment for Scott Brown whose great early season form and confidence appear to have deserted him) and the second goal was a sheer fluke that's come straight down from the underside of the crossbar and hit Scott on the back--pure fluke! I've not got rose-tinted specs-we're definitely in the soft stuff, but we just have to hope that we can get some luck and goals soon.

Vale have to stop conceding "silly goals", each of Cheltenham's goals yesterday had an element of very poor play by Vale or luck for the home team. The Cheltenham commentators yesterday said Southend looked a more organized, compact and better defensive team than Vale, concerning to say the least.

For Salford's goal on Tuesday the two Vale defenders in the box were ball watching, not one of them was looking at Henderson and where were Vale's defensive midfield players who're supposed to be sitting centrally in front of the back 4.

Vale have to get tighter at the back, stop crosses coming in, stop giving away needless free kicks at both ends of the pitch and having a defensive midfield player behind the ball at all times especially if playing with attacking full backs.

Vale never seem to find the 2nd ball in the opposition box arrives at the foot of a Vale player, it did yesterday twice but we were already 3-0 down.

2 hours ago, Wrex said:

A complete reset? We've already started that with Flickers and Clarke. I'm sure Clarke would probably be gone by Christmas if next season started badly but Flitcroft will be here for years to come, even if we were to go down. All the people being hired now will probably stay too.

There will be something of a reset of the playing squad in the summer regardless of what happens. But Carol's already set the long term structure of the club so err, get feeling the synergy moving forward to a dynamic future I guess.

I pick up on your irony,wish things were more positive

3 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

If we do go down and it’s still a big IF some of the happy clappers on here will say we can’t expect to bounce right back straightaway if we can finish mid table that will be a good achievement 

We wouldnt bounce back very rare for it to happen.

36 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

I pick up on your irony,wish things were more positive

2 hours ago, Wrex said:

Flitcroft has been very clever by not becoming manager himself. The manager is the first to go when things are bad so C;larke would go and Flitcroft stays. Cynical view but clever move.

We are fourth bottom they are 3 worse teams than us we have scored about 20 more goals than Southend ,if every player in our teams plays well we will win some games between now and end of season .

If our goalie gets off his line and commands his area that be good if our players stay with there man that be good and be good if we didnt let teams have free second phase shots at our goal as really we should be the ones on the end of them especially around our own box .

UTV 

6 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Past recruitment, last manager, team selection & signings are entirely to blame. Not somebody who has been in the job for 3 weeks 

We have 13 games left to save ourselves. If we only look back at the 33 so far and dwell / blame we will go down. We all know what’s gone on and who or what is to blame. We need the team / management to just do their job and not be held back due to games / issues of the past.

5 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

If we do go down and it’s still a big IF some of the happy clappers on here will say we can’t expect to bounce right back straightaway if we can finish mid table that will be a good achievement 

I guarantee if we went down we’d probably get better away visitors than we ever did pre Covid in this division. The likes of Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham and Stockport would bring many more fans than anyone in this division apart from Bradford on a good day. 

I would say the conf premier has more league heritage than league 2 itself these days. 

I dread the worse if we go down. I can't see us going back straight back up either and can see us doing a Notts County/Wrexham and being stuck in the black hole known as the national league.

Financially it's gonna cripple us. I really hope the players realise what's at stake. This is massive and one of the most important season in terms of preventing any more disaster.

Thank god Carol brought the club when she did. Imagine if smurf was still the owner, we would have been done for by now. 

When we go down the academy and the foundation lose the funding so there's going to be a lot of people losing their jobs plus all the good community work will be scaled down. That's without the league money dropping by 500k in the first year and then down to about 200k after that I just hope they have the money to fund it otherwise we are going bust again

Guest Vale at home
12 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Flitcroft has been very clever by not becoming manager himself. The manager is the first to go when things are bad so C;larke would go and Flitcroft stays. Cynical view but clever move.

Yes .I do agree. 

2 hours ago, dishydave said:

When we go down the academy and the foundation lose the funding so there's going to be a lot of people losing their jobs plus all the good community work will be scaled down. That's without the league money dropping by 500k in the first year and then down to about 200k after that I just hope they have the money to fund it otherwise we are going bust again

We won't go down i would only say that if we need 4 points from the last match of the season have some faith in our team and show the support that they need.

Archived