Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

What’s up with Amoo? I think we miss his spark (on his day). Him, Worrall and Oyeleke are the only creative people in the squad and that’s what we miss. A midfield of Taylor, Burgess, Conlon or Joyce just don’t create anything. Burgess and Taylor just run around without actually affecting the game. Every other team seems to have a midfielder who can dictate play and create attacks.

Advert:

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, Can I please make a couple of comments: 1. Please KEEP ON TOPIC. This is about a football match. I am now going to plough through and remove all posts not to do with the game (happy

Nice to see you are starting early Should we play poorly or lose then no doubt we will hear a lot from you today again..... play well or win we will see you Tuesday. For goodness sake Askey

Pope back by the end of March, apparently he’s running now which is a bonus, he couldn’t run before his injury.😃

Posted Images

And why are we suddenly crying for Pope as if he will be a saviour? He’s no better than what we have and that’s the issue. I’m sick of us swapping the strikers every week just to realise that they’re all as bad as each other (bar Rodney). It’s as if we go around in circles. We play crap without Pope so everyone cries out for Pope and then when he plays we are still rubbish and everyone says he’s past it. There’s no service or creativity and that’s what Pope needs. We need to move on in the summer and just pay money for a decent striker.

• Like 5

Whilst this does have a familiar feel to when Askey took over, ie we're in a very bad way, I'm around 70% confident we'll do enough to stay up.

Last time we were in free fall and lost our first five under the new manager.

This time we have Clarke who, barring a closing stage missile, would've gotten us a credible point yesterday and remained solid and unbeaten in his first three. This with a depleted and low on confidence team.

As long as we can get our key players getting enough game time between  now and the end of the season we'll stay up.

As bad as we are in terms of quality we have actually scored a decent amount of goals this season.  Even without a regular goalscorer. 

We are a far better squad than those below, I genuinely believe that. For me, we're nowhere near fit enough and that's why we get so many injuries and it is absolutely why we concede so many late goals.  Training was undoubtedly crap under Askey and we are built around strolling around with the ball in the final third with no real intensity.

Its messy, but I think we've got enough of the crap teams left to play when our better players are back to pick the points up.

It will get worse, and a bit scarier, as the immediate fixtures are played but I fancy us over the last 10 games.

• Like 6

We lost yesterday to an unstoppable howitzer.  We were not played off the park or totally outfought by the Division leaders. We gave what we could and I thought we actually gave them a lot to think about.

OK, we were missing the obvious quality, which we know has been absent now for a few seasons, but I personally felt we were so much better than the end of Askey's regime unacceptable offerings.

DC cannot come here and within 3 games make us world beaters. The unbalanced squad he inherited needs to be remoulded in the absence of new recruits and from what I've seen there are many reasons to be optimistic that the management will get out of this squad the desired points for our safety.

If DC could arrive here and turn us completely around in a few weeks then he would be vying for a position at say Barcelona or PSG, not Port Vale!

It does seem, reading various comments on here, that patience is not one of the uppermost virtues instilled in many Valiants. Perhaps after so, so many frustrating seasons we want immediate success now that we have secured fantastic owners for our future.

Looking around Division 2 and witnessing what's going on this season, I still would not swap places with Grimsby, Colchester or Barrow and indeed a few more Clubs who are currently experiencing downward slumps.

It is patently clear to us and I suspect now DC what is required to start to build a successful squad here. At this moment in time we are stuck with what we have and I fully anticipate we will be seeing Division 2 football at Vale Park next season.

Leave the manager and coaches to assess the squad and DC has done that these past 3 games and will have a better inclination of where he wants certain players to play. I accept why he has used so many players and in differing positions. He needs to do that in matches now to go forward with what he believes is the correct combinations to secure our position in this League. We do have the necessary players to be higher up this Division but it may take a short while longer to achieve what we desire. I would ask for patience. There is time to climb the League. Others around us will not win all their games. It might be "squeaky bum" time for a few more games but hey lads and lasses this is our Club. Back it as much as you can. Carol et al need us. UTV. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, rider1308 said:

Don’t think Arthur Askey would have been so stupid and a lot of the muppets on here wouldn’t have any idea who Arthur Askey is !!!! 

True, showing my age there!! "I thank you" Arthur would have done a better hob imo!!

• Haha 1

Advert:

Quest didn't even show the Guthrie chance and from the brief 90 seconds highlights it appeared they battered us , shocking coverage . Not as it makes any difference. 

Rodney has got to start getting more physical, he's an absolute unit. I've noticed on occasions where he's one on one out wide or in the channels he's often beaten and doesn't seem to use his strength appropriately. Get your shoulder in lad and leave them in your wake. 

I just can't get the sick feeling out of my stomach at the moment and am dreading the league table in a fortnight. I just hope and pray that there are 2 worse than us come judgement day. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Quest didn't even show the Guthrie chance and from the brief 90 seconds highlights it appeared they battered us , shocking coverage . Not as it makes any difference. 

Rodney has got to start getting more physical, he's an absolute unit. I've noticed on occasions where he's one on one out wide or in the channels he's often beaten and doesn't seem to use his strength appropriately. Get your shoulder in lad and leave them in your wake. 

I just can't get the sick feeling out of my stomach at the moment and am dreading the league table in a fortnight. I just hope and pray that there are 2 worse than us come judgement day. 

The odds and form of Grimsby, Barrow, Southend and Orient suggest we will finish 20th/ 21st but like you I can't see goals and wins. The wins v Southend and Grimsby massive now.

They will have caught us in another 7/8 games, hopefully we win at least 1.

• Like 1

If we survive this season, and I think we will, then unless we get rid of 80% of the squad we'll just be in a similar position next season, and it wouldn't matter if we have Clarke or Ancelotti in charge. 

Our best players besides Worrall are constantly on the treatment table. Our other previously reliable performers Legge, Joyce and Pope are all well past their best and have a combined age of Stonehenge and the rest sadly range from poor to abysmal, even at League Two level.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Anybody ever thought that Cambridge may have had a off day yesterday

I think that's very true @Eddie Ford I think it shows the difference in that their defence clearly wasn't at its best and yet still kept a clean sheet as we still couldn't score. Even on an off day they still have the 2/3 players in their team who could change the game (in this case O'Neil with that strike). 

• Like 1

Advert:

45 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

And why are we suddenly crying for Pope as if he will be a saviour? He’s no better than what we have and that’s the issue. I’m sick of us swapping the strikers every week just to realise that they’re all as bad as each other (bar Rodney). It’s as if we go around in circles. We play crap without Pope so everyone cries out for Pope and then when he plays we are still rubbish and everyone says he’s past it. There’s no service or creativity and that’s what Pope needs. We need to move on in the summer and just pay money for a decent striker.

I mentioned Pope, but not as a saviour, but more as better than the other options (with the window shut) that we currently have. 

He's clearly should be being used as an impact sub nowadays but needs must I think Rodney/Pope is our most potent combination with the players we have.

I think when Pope plays as part of a two, which Clarke prefers, he offers more than he does as a sole striker. The game against Grimsby where Pope partnered Rodney was a good example of that. His hold up work, passing etc was all decent - he's not just a heading target.

He's not the saviour and he's not the future but beggars can't be chosers and in our desperate circumstances I'd prefer him to be starting in a front two right now. 

We clearly shouldn't be relying on him next season but we have to survive this one first.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, robf said:

I think that's very true @Eddie Ford I think it shows the difference in that their defence clearly wasn't at its best and yet still kept a clean sheet as we still couldn't score. Even on an off day they still have the 2/3 players in their team who could change the game (in this case O'Neil with that strike). 

Clearly they are a better team than the sum of their parts.

Mullen is a journeyman having his Pope season 12/13. Hannant is okay, was steady but unspectacular. Ironside was sub , again ok but nothing special. 

The shining light at 38 is Hoolahan but other than him they are just a typical league 2 side with average players.

This is my frustration, the league table doesn't lie though so fair play they are there on merit. 

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Clearly they are a better team than the sum of their parts.

Mullen is a journeyman having his Pope season 12/13. Hannant is okay, was steady but unspectacular. Ironside was sub , again ok but nothing special. 

The shining light at 38 is Hoolahan but other than him they are just a typical league 2 side with average players.

This is my frustration, the league table doesn't lie though so fair play they are there on merit. 

They usually at the bottom with the dead men so there manager is top notch well done to them deserved winners on last 20 before then we did ok but last 20 ran out of energy and in hindsight should have brought 5 players on 

1 hour ago, SuperHuman said:

Service. Thats what Guthrie and Rodney need too. Thats why they too look poor.

We started with too many strikers for a ' one up top ' team and yes we keep changing them all too often but not one of them has scored goals inside the box consistently. Are they all at fault or as you say the service from three midfield men, two wide men and two full backs is and has been awful all season.

By the way we dont keep swapping Rodney and he is not scoring goals either. Pope is no worse than any of them. He will miss chances but he will also score and play with far more passion than the others.

Pope and Rodney will be the pairing to save us. Just hope Worrall, Montano, Conlon and whoever else improve the service.

yesterday’s stats show that 15 shots yet only 3 on target is a major concern. we created a lot more yesterday and looked stronger in midfield and defence. we had opportunities (guthrie’s 1v1) being the biggest moment for us in the game. we’ve sorted the defensive side of things now it’s the attacking side. hopefully tuesday we build on from yesterday’s performance and shock salford. this is league 2. anything can happen. also i’d like to say, cambridge back4 weren’t the best i’ve seen in this division. they just have a good player in hoolahan and mullin who’s on flames and everyone workhorses around that. mullin very quiet yesterday and you wouldn’t have thought this is a guy who’s toppin the league goal scoring 

Advert:

2 hours ago, pete vale said:

The odds and form of Grimsby, Barrow, Southend and Orient suggest we will finish 20th/ 21st but like you I can't see goals and wins. The wins v Southend and Grimsby massive now.

They will have caught us in another 7/8 games, hopefully we win at least 1.

I keep reading that the teams below are are catching us but it is not really reflected in the form table.

Yes, we are bad at the moment but I still think that there are at least 2 teams that are worse than us.

image.thumb.png.501e13dfda0d08bee07b50060d81b18a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another worldy beats us.Mind you it's the best one so far in my opinion, beating the Tranmere winner by Morris in November.Southend's Ferguson seems to be a master at it as well after watching his latest at FGR?The Hamil End seems to attract them?