onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

11 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Quest didn't even show the Guthrie chance and from the brief 90 seconds highlights it appeared they battered us , shocking coverage . Not as it makes any difference. 

Rodney has got to start getting more physical, he's an absolute unit. I've noticed on occasions where he's one on one out wide or in the channels he's often beaten and doesn't seem to use his strength appropriately. Get your shoulder in lad and leave them in your wake. 

I just can't get the sick feeling out of my stomach at the moment and am dreading the league table in a fortnight. I just hope and pray that there are 2 worse than us come judgement day. 

The odds and form of Grimsby, Barrow, Southend and Orient suggest we will finish 20th/ 21st but like you I can't see goals and wins. The wins v Southend and Grimsby massive now.

They will have caught us in another 7/8 games, hopefully we win at least 1.

Advert

If we survive this season, and I think we will, then unless we get rid of 80% of the squad we'll just be in a similar position next season, and it wouldn't matter if we have Clarke or Ancelotti in charge. 

Our best players besides Worrall are constantly on the treatment table. Our other previously reliable performers Legge, Joyce and Pope are all well past their best and have a combined age of Stonehenge and the rest sadly range from poor to abysmal, even at League Two level.

17 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Anybody ever thought that Cambridge may have had a off day yesterday

I think that's very true @Eddie Ford I think it shows the difference in that their defence clearly wasn't at its best and yet still kept a clean sheet as we still couldn't score. Even on an off day they still have the 2/3 players in their team who could change the game (in this case O'Neil with that strike). 

45 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

And why are we suddenly crying for Pope as if he will be a saviour? He’s no better than what we have and that’s the issue. I’m sick of us swapping the strikers every week just to realise that they’re all as bad as each other (bar Rodney). It’s as if we go around in circles. We play crap without Pope so everyone cries out for Pope and then when he plays we are still rubbish and everyone says he’s past it. There’s no service or creativity and that’s what Pope needs. We need to move on in the summer and just pay money for a decent striker.

I mentioned Pope, but not as a saviour, but more as better than the other options (with the window shut) that we currently have. 

He's clearly should be being used as an impact sub nowadays but needs must I think Rodney/Pope is our most potent combination with the players we have.

I think when Pope plays as part of a two, which Clarke prefers, he offers more than he does as a sole striker. The game against Grimsby where Pope partnered Rodney was a good example of that. His hold up work, passing etc was all decent - he's not just a heading target.

He's not the saviour and he's not the future but beggars can't be chosers and in our desperate circumstances I'd prefer him to be starting in a front two right now. 

We clearly shouldn't be relying on him next season but we have to survive this one first.

2 minutes ago, robf said:

I think that's very true @Eddie Ford I think it shows the difference in that their defence clearly wasn't at its best and yet still kept a clean sheet as we still couldn't score. Even on an off day they still have the 2/3 players in their team who could change the game (in this case O'Neil with that strike). 

Clearly they are a better team than the sum of their parts.

Mullen is a journeyman having his Pope season 12/13. Hannant is okay, was steady but unspectacular. Ironside was sub , again ok but nothing special. 

The shining light at 38 is Hoolahan but other than him they are just a typical league 2 side with average players.

This is my frustration, the league table doesn't lie though so fair play they are there on merit. 

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Clearly they are a better team than the sum of their parts.

Mullen is a journeyman having his Pope season 12/13. Hannant is okay, was steady but unspectacular. Ironside was sub , again ok but nothing special. 

The shining light at 38 is Hoolahan but other than him they are just a typical league 2 side with average players.

This is my frustration, the league table doesn't lie though so fair play they are there on merit. 

They usually at the bottom with the dead men so there manager is top notch well done to them deserved winners on last 20 before then we did ok but last 20 ran out of energy and in hindsight should have brought 5 players on 

1 hour ago, SuperHuman said:

And why are we suddenly crying for Pope as if he will be a saviour? He’s no better than what we have and that’s the issue. I’m sick of us swapping the strikers every week just to realise that they’re all as bad as each other (bar Rodney). It’s as if we go around in circles. We play crap without Pope so everyone cries out for Pope and then when he plays we are still rubbish and everyone says he’s past it. There’s no service or creativity and that’s what Pope needs. We need to move on in the summer and just pay money for a decent striker.

Service. Thats what Guthrie and Rodney need too. Thats why they too look poor.

We started with too many strikers for a ' one up top ' team and yes we keep changing them all too often but not one of them has scored goals inside the box consistently. Are they all at fault or as you say the service from three midfield men, two wide men and two full backs is and has been awful all season.

By the way we dont keep swapping Rodney and he is not scoring goals either. Pope is no worse than any of them. He will miss chances but he will also score and play with far more passion than the others.

Pope and Rodney will be the pairing to save us. Just hope Worrall, Montano, Conlon and whoever else improve the service.

yesterday’s stats show that 15 shots yet only 3 on target is a major concern. we created a lot more yesterday and looked stronger in midfield and defence. we had opportunities (guthrie’s 1v1) being the biggest moment for us in the game. we’ve sorted the defensive side of things now it’s the attacking side. hopefully tuesday we build on from yesterday’s performance and shock salford. this is league 2. anything can happen. also i’d like to say, cambridge back4 weren’t the best i’ve seen in this division. they just have a good player in hoolahan and mullin who’s on flames and everyone workhorses around that. mullin very quiet yesterday and you wouldn’t have thought this is a guy who’s toppin the league goal scoring 

2 hours ago, pete vale said:

The odds and form of Grimsby, Barrow, Southend and Orient suggest we will finish 20th/ 21st but like you I can't see goals and wins. The wins v Southend and Grimsby massive now.

They will have caught us in another 7/8 games, hopefully we win at least 1.

I keep reading that the teams below are are catching us but it is not really reflected in the form table.

Yes, we are bad at the moment but I still think that there are at least 2 teams that are worse than us.

image.thumb.png.501e13dfda0d08bee07b50060d81b18a.png

56 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Another worldy beats us.Mind you it's the best one so far in my opinion, beating the Tranmere winner by Morris in November.Southend's Ferguson seems to be a master at it as well after watching his latest at FGR?The Hamil End seems to attract them?

The Scunthorpe one was a cracker too can't remember if that was the Hamil end .

The old adage if you don't shoot you don't score . They seem to fly in against us apart from the one that went out of the ground yesterday. 

Pope is still the best we have up top.

So when he is fit then play to his strengths.

whoever is playing on the wings need to keep it simple.

Get the bal!, Get to the bye-line, stand it up to the back post.

No one, absolutely no one, will stop Pope scoring at the back post.

Yes the pitch gets cut up during the winter but if you think it's bad now it's a billiard table compared to how it was decades ago.

It's built on marl and retains the water. It has had better drainage installed in more recent years but to create a quality surface would cost £750,000 and that was the quote about 8 years ago I believe.

It makes sense to widen it to its full width as the wider you go the less cut up it is and it gives Worrall, Amoo, Hurst, Montano the space to get at their full back, in theory!!

Archived