onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

5 hours ago, toyahw said:

Fair points mate. How did you think Smithy did?  Pretty solid for me.

He played very well again I'm not pointing the finger at the defensive players I'm pointing the finger at the likes of Rodney and Guthrie who are not giving us anymore than 20 mins work in a game ,the game lasts 90 every player has to up there commitment levels the defence have in fairness even Crookes is playing well as a defender however he ain't getting up tge other end and whipping a ball in a striker cannot fail to finish tge same goes with a lot of our players we lack oooommmphhhhh. 

We need to improve tenfold to remain a football league club .

The fixtures are coming quick and fast we need to find ways score goals and play people who want to score goals who live for them, Guthrie and Rodney (who I like but cannot say I've enjoyed his efforts last two home games in my opinion he is hiding and not imposing himself on games ).need to be dropped for now it's time bring in either Swann as a lone striker or Cullen and Robinson as your 2 up front  .

Advert

8 hours ago, Caroline Oakes said:

I accept that you feel bullied, but do think that as you won’t walk away from this thread and the differing opinions on it, Admins need to close it. The other guys simply ‘argued’ your point and if you feel bullied, then my experienced advise to you is to step away if you can.

I think the only problem in closing a match thread is that they will end up closing every match thread as most end up going in this direction.

For what its worth bullying is a strong phrase to use on here,i for one hate bullies but i see different points of view not bullying,i will be honest and say nofinikea gets on my twonks at times but then again so do others,i dont agree with a lot of what they say but then some things i do,we all have differing opinions on here but in the current climate there are far more important things to worry about..... surely whether you preferred Aspin,preffered Askey or prefer DC its DC who is in charge now,the past is the past lets try to move on.... most of us on here barring the odd one are Vale fans

Much love to all 🙂 vtid

Hi all,

Can I please make a couple of comments:

1. Please KEEP ON TOPIC. This is about a football match. I am now going to plough through and remove all posts not to do with the game (happy Sunday morning Rob!). Members who are breaking rules in terms of personal abuse will find action taken.

2. "Admin should have..." - sorry, but as said time and time again, this is reactive moderation. It's done by volunteers in spare time. There is also an element of responsibility from you the members to report things. Speaking personally, I was doing family things with my kids on Saturday evening. I cannot be expected to be on here 24/7 monitoring people being idiotic. Neither can the rest of the team. Having said that - this will be dealt with retrospectively. I think the folks shouting "Admin should have..." need to learn a little patience TBH. Things will happen.

3. Having said all that - come on people! This is a forum to talk about Port Vale. Some of the petty stuff really needs to end. I think there's an element of people thinking they can get away with things as they are "stretching the rules" - well, if you're one of them please be aware that posts on here cost me money and bandwidth and I do reserve the right to just remove people from a private website without reason and without explaining so if you want to test things by trying to bend the rules - I will take action.

On that note can we please get back to the subject of discussing the game not attacking each other!

I think injuries are a huge issue and it’s fair to mention them, if you took 6 key players out of Cambridge side they’d be struggling, same for most of the 22 other sides so it’s a massive issue. Even usually fit players like Worrall and Joyce are now struggling for fitness.

Pope is another 3 weeks or so but if we’ve lost Monty and it wasn’t just because he was tiring after Covid yesterday as well that’s yet another body gone at the time when the games are coming thick and fast.

It’s a disaster we can Ill afford.

Worrall and Joyce play yesterday we probably win that. It was there for the taking but whilst the defence is largely intact all our best midfield and attacking options are limited.

We’ve had some rotten luck, the Xmas busy period and this one now losing big players is going to cost us a large chance to get out of the mess we are in.

Guest Vale at home
23 minutes ago, robf said:

Hi all,

Can I please make a couple of comments:

1. Please KEEP ON TOPIC. This is about a football match. I am now going to plough through and remove all posts not to do with the game (happy Sunday morning Rob!). Members who are breaking rules in terms of personal abuse will find action taken.

2. "Admin should have..." - sorry, but as said time and time again, this is reactive moderation. It's done by volunteers in spare time. There is also an element of responsibility from you the members to report things. Speaking personally, I was doing family things with my kids on Saturday evening. I cannot be expected to be on here 24/7 monitoring people being idiotic. Neither can the rest of the team. Having said that - this will be dealt with retrospectively. I think the folks shouting "Admin should have..." need to learn a little patience TBH. Things will happen.

3. Having said all that - come on people! This is a forum to talk about Port Vale. Some of the petty stuff really needs to end. I think there's an element of people thinking they can get away with things as they are "stretching the rules" - well, if you're one of them please be aware that posts on here cost me money and bandwidth and I do reserve the right to just remove people from a private website without reason and without explaining so if you want to test things by trying to bend the rules - I will take action.

On that note can we please get back to the subject of discussing the game not attacking each other!

Yes I do agree . Thank you Rob . For all you do for onevalefan.  . We do know how hard you work  on our Behalf. Vale fans must all pull together now . And hope vale can start Backing Darrell. Take care and keep safe . Rob . 

54 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Worrall and Joyce play yesterday we probably win that.

Possibly but even with DW I think we've got a problem with someone putting the ball in the net. Rodney is the only central forward to score this year and as he's still developing, he's hit and miss. It's worrying that a youngster still learning and inconsistent  is our only reliable source of goals right now. In an ideal world, I don't think Pope at his age should be an automatic start but I'd love to have him alongside Devante right now.

Possibly but even with DW I think we've got a problem with someone putting the ball in the net. Rodney is the only central forward to score this year and as he's still developing, he's hit and miss. It's worrying that a youngster still learning and inconsistent  is our only reliable source of goals right now. In an ideal world, I don't think Pope at his age should be an automatic start but I'd love to have him alongside Devante right now.

I agree. We don’t have a forward who attacks the box.
Any crosses coming in just go straight across the area.
Rodney only seems to score with shots outside the box and Guthrie doesn’t seem to want to gamble on anything coming across the area.

What’s up with Amoo? I think we miss his spark (on his day). Him, Worrall and Oyeleke are the only creative people in the squad and that’s what we miss. A midfield of Taylor, Burgess, Conlon or Joyce just don’t create anything. Burgess and Taylor just run around without actually affecting the game. Every other team seems to have a midfielder who can dictate play and create attacks.

And why are we suddenly crying for Pope as if he will be a saviour? He’s no better than what we have and that’s the issue. I’m sick of us swapping the strikers every week just to realise that they’re all as bad as each other (bar Rodney). It’s as if we go around in circles. We play crap without Pope so everyone cries out for Pope and then when he plays we are still rubbish and everyone says he’s past it. There’s no service or creativity and that’s what Pope needs. We need to move on in the summer and just pay money for a decent striker.

Whilst this does have a familiar feel to when Askey took over, ie we're in a very bad way, I'm around 70% confident we'll do enough to stay up.

Last time we were in free fall and lost our first five under the new manager.

This time we have Clarke who, barring a closing stage missile, would've gotten us a credible point yesterday and remained solid and unbeaten in his first three. This with a depleted and low on confidence team.

As long as we can get our key players getting enough game time between  now and the end of the season we'll stay up.

As bad as we are in terms of quality we have actually scored a decent amount of goals this season.  Even without a regular goalscorer. 

We are a far better squad than those below, I genuinely believe that. For me, we're nowhere near fit enough and that's why we get so many injuries and it is absolutely why we concede so many late goals.  Training was undoubtedly crap under Askey and we are built around strolling around with the ball in the final third with no real intensity.

Its messy, but I think we've got enough of the crap teams left to play when our better players are back to pick the points up.

It will get worse, and a bit scarier, as the immediate fixtures are played but I fancy us over the last 10 games.

We lost yesterday to an unstoppable howitzer.  We were not played off the park or totally outfought by the Division leaders. We gave what we could and I thought we actually gave them a lot to think about.

OK, we were missing the obvious quality, which we know has been absent now for a few seasons, but I personally felt we were so much better than the end of Askey's regime unacceptable offerings.

DC cannot come here and within 3 games make us world beaters. The unbalanced squad he inherited needs to be remoulded in the absence of new recruits and from what I've seen there are many reasons to be optimistic that the management will get out of this squad the desired points for our safety.

If DC could arrive here and turn us completely around in a few weeks then he would be vying for a position at say Barcelona or PSG, not Port Vale!

It does seem, reading various comments on here, that patience is not one of the uppermost virtues instilled in many Valiants. Perhaps after so, so many frustrating seasons we want immediate success now that we have secured fantastic owners for our future.

Looking around Division 2 and witnessing what's going on this season, I still would not swap places with Grimsby, Colchester or Barrow and indeed a few more Clubs who are currently experiencing downward slumps.

It is patently clear to us and I suspect now DC what is required to start to build a successful squad here. At this moment in time we are stuck with what we have and I fully anticipate we will be seeing Division 2 football at Vale Park next season.

Leave the manager and coaches to assess the squad and DC has done that these past 3 games and will have a better inclination of where he wants certain players to play. I accept why he has used so many players and in differing positions. He needs to do that in matches now to go forward with what he believes is the correct combinations to secure our position in this League. We do have the necessary players to be higher up this Division but it may take a short while longer to achieve what we desire. I would ask for patience. There is time to climb the League. Others around us will not win all their games. It might be "squeaky bum" time for a few more games but hey lads and lasses this is our Club. Back it as much as you can. Carol et al need us. UTV. 

Quest didn't even show the Guthrie chance and from the brief 90 seconds highlights it appeared they battered us , shocking coverage . Not as it makes any difference. 

Rodney has got to start getting more physical, he's an absolute unit. I've noticed on occasions where he's one on one out wide or in the channels he's often beaten and doesn't seem to use his strength appropriately. Get your shoulder in lad and leave them in your wake. 

I just can't get the sick feeling out of my stomach at the moment and am dreading the league table in a fortnight. I just hope and pray that there are 2 worse than us come judgement day. 

Archived