onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

Advert

Cambridge are as average as it gets for a team currently top. The biggest difference between them and us is simply that they get to play their better players most weeks, like Hoolahan and Boateng. Two of our best three players ability wise are Amoo and Oyeleke, both who are just so unreliable we can no longer throw wages at them just for the few games they can play here and there.

1 hour ago, Santa said:

Workmanlike, disciplined but missing quality. Particularly in the final third. Ultimately, far too many of our key players are out injured at the moment.

I thought Cambridge paid us a bit of respect, got men behind the ball at times during the game but it felt ominous that a sucker punch was coming. At least to a pessimist like me anyway.

Neither Guthrie nor Robinson look like players who are capable of putting the ball in the net.

I wouldnt be surprised to see this from Cambridge most games, certainly away. First thing you do is keep the home team quiet. When you do get on top then your midfield players will always get up to support the front man. Once they get in front then maybe the goals follow. You are top after 30 games for a reason

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

erm, there are 15 games left of this season (17 for Barrow and Grimsby).

We may well go down then.

how have we have gone from being arguably the best team in the division when the season ended last year, keep pretty well the same players and become one of the worst team in the division?

Just now, osprey said:

We weren’t exactly out played by the league leaders today

You are right, I am trying not to be emotional, but rational and in fairness they werent much better than us. However they outscored us, and thats the important part. I have seen us in the past outplayed but still win games because we have had the firepower upfront to win games.  Not now, our forward line is like a box of damp fireworks, spluttering and misfiring.

Every team in our league wants and needs a 20 goal a season striker. Unfortunately they dont come cheap and if you take someone like Guthrie, a Bradford cast off, then you pretty much know what you are getting. Rodney has raw talent but our forward line are just not scoring enough goals. We need to pay either a transfer fee or the going rate in wages to secure proven goal scorers.  No more dented tins and chancers from the cheap aisle. 

2 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

We were poor. Yes better than Tuesday and had the ball but there was no creativity. How can you score goals without.

Conlon decent

Monty, still the best wide player we have, when he wants to do it. He can hold the ball and wait for someone to move for him. He can attack a defence. He can create some chances.

Burgess - Poor       Taylor not much better. 3 yr contract maybe but he will not be in the starting 11 soon

Need to watch back Taylor's goals. Where was he working on the pitch. What was his role. Get him back there doing that job. It looks like the defensive side has been tightened up. But we can't expect to nil the opposition every week, so we have to sort out the going forward aspects. I did think that it was obvious how to stop us earlier in the season. Simply mark Joyce and how whole passing through midfield breaks down. When Worrell is on the pitch something can be done about that as he offers a plan b. But at the moment we haven't got plan a or plan b on the pitch going forward.

4 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

We may well go down then.

how have we have gone from being arguably the best team in the division when the season ended last year, keep pretty well the same players and become one of the worst team in the division?

Well thats not DC's fault.

16 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Why is it always pope haters? Nobody hates him infact the opposite. What is true is that he’s not getting any younger and isn’t what he used to be. (Not scored many when he played this season). Nobody hates him they’re just realistic. I do agree I’d love to him back now and would walk into this side. 

I too have been critical and am not a Pope hater.  I thought Guthrie’s effort was there, but yes he did miss a sitter.

Aside from that without Worrall / Amoo out wide there is very little quality into the front two, and they have not wasted chances.  That would have been the debate on here if Tom had played I am sure - there have been numerous occasions over the last two seasons when he has been ineffective.  He does for some seem to get on the end of every cross in the games he doesn’t play in.

in summary, do I wish he was available now YES, do I think building a team around a 36 year old with a diminishing goal return when the manager wants a high tempo game NO

1 hour ago, WV said:

Disappointed to lose that one. We didn't create much but neither did the league leaders and it took a wonder goal to win the game. Guthrie missed a sitter but he put himself about well and won us some free kicks in dangerous areas. Rodney put in a lot of effort but needs to learn when to pass and when to shoot. 

One thing that can't help is the pitch. It looks horrific, one of the worst in the football league. It doesnt inspire great football to be played on it. Come on Speedy sort it out it is a joke. 

Agree with most of above.

Wether its a wonder goal, penalty or own goal it doesnt matter. Top teams score these late quality goals. Bottom teams miss sitters. It happens every year.

Guthrie is still the best we have to lead the frontline. Maybe not good enough but the best we have.

Rodney better learn fast. Sick and tired of hearing what a world beater he may become. At the moment he doesnt even look a footballer. Still the best we have at the moment.

Yes the pitch is awful and it is a leveller. Hard work comes first but you still have to try and create and we dont have players that can do that.

9 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

In your mind, why did Gannon fail?

I believe Gannon was probably right in what he “diagnosed” but how he went about rectifying it was completely wrong. Likewise I think Clarke is spot on when he talks about lack of quality, unbalanced squad etc, but I’m not sure I like the way he transmits this. In the first two games, he’s struck me as a cross between Gannon and Nathan Jones, neither of whom enjoyed their time in Staffordshire.....

Not seen his thoughts of today yet.

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Orient sacked manager just 

They lost to Tranmere. My Tranmere friends are hopeful of sneaking up on auto promotion after a slow start to the season. Note Cambridge have Tranmere's ex striker scoring for them and Tranmere let him go because of Vaughan. Much travelled but mainly at higher levels.

Archived