onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Advert

19 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I'm not sure we ever will. Something happened after the cup defeat to King's Lynn and we suffered a catastrophic lack of form, never to really recover. Askey himself never looked or sounded himself after that. 

Some have said Askey was knifed. But by whom? Or that he lost the confidence of the players. But why? So, yes you're right with that question: will we ever know? I doubt it.

The only thing we can do now is to get behind DC, hope and pray we survive the relegation battle we're in, and then build for the future. 

The games we lost late on suggest both fitness and team discipline were issues. I think we did well against top teams and then started to lose to lower teams. Strange. But another issue was we were League 2 Brighton. Played lots of nice football without looking like scoring. Then confidence went, individual errors arrived and everything crash dived. With Askey, I was hopeful he would turn it around but he didn't. He didn't change from playing 433 and he didn't adapt during games to the opposition. Still all too late now, we need to get safe and prepare for next season.

2 minutes ago, Warren said:

The games we lost late on suggest both fitness and team discipline were issues. I think we did well against top teams and then started to lose to lower teams. Strange. But the issues was we were League 2 Brighton. Played lots of nice football without looking like scoring. Then confidence went, individual errors arrived and everything crash dived. With Askey, I was hopeful he would turn it around but he didn't. He didn't change from playing 433 and he didn't adapt during games to the opposition. Still all too late now, we need to get safe and prepare for next season.

I really wished we were like League 2 Brighton, they play with an identity and every time, I see them play, they seem to be unlucky and dominate games, even against the top teams, could have won by 6 last night.  I watch us and no matter who is in charge, I never see us dominate.  I am not going lay this on Clarke though, the fault lays entirely with Askey.

Not sure what some people expected. But this is exactly what I was anticipating. First thing on the agenda had to be make us hard to beat. That seems to have started...and long may it continue. Well at least to the end of the season. hard to beat just about keeps us up I hope. The alternative is definite relegation. 

Well done crookes tonight with legg and smith. First time in a while we have looked like not getting done by one long ball over the top. 

The realism is this squad is cack. Last season covered a few cracks but normal play has been resumed. We have no real quality on anywhere. Let’s not forget that this group of players nearly got us relegated before. Big job in the summer with no sentiment shown to any of this lot. Even the half decent ones need to seriously shape up or ship out. 

Clark keeps having a dig at askey-'only 1 defensive midfielder' surely it's up to him to find players or coach them to suit his system? He doesn't know the best system yet, he is experimenting. Also, everyone seems to think we won't go down, in not so sure, we r pretty much as poor as every team iv seen in this league

3 minutes ago, southvale said:

Clark keeps having a dig at askey-'only 1 defensive midfielder' surely it's up to him to find players or coach them to suit his system? He doesn't know the best system yet, he is experimenting. Also, everyone seems to think we won't go down, in not so sure, we r pretty much as poor as every team iv seen in this league emoji849.png

Good points.......Where does he get a defensive midfielder from at this stage of the season ?

Firstly the good bit we gained a point and it was nice to see one of the coaching giving Rodney some practical advice on the side lines.
The thing that worries me is professional footballers pushing the ball too far ahead when running with the ball. It happened a few times tonight and ended up letting them break away or a lunge which could end with a booking or worse. I think in all the years supporting the Vale we had our worst forward line finishing the game. Is Theo a gonna or probably not fit. How long before we get Pope back. The Pontiff might just be our saviour yet again.

One of the problems we have is that only 5 of last nights starting 11 have had a run of games: Conlon, Joyce, Smith, Rodney and Brown. Of our "regular starters" Gibbo, Legge,Crookes and Monty have been out long enough to lose that sharpness. Swan has never played at this level before and Taylor has arrived from another club and not had a run of games yet. Plus it was a change of formation which is always a challenge when all the players are fit!

Just calmed down, after witnessing one of the worst attacking home performances in over 60 years of watching Vale.The defence was sound enough but we couldn't even keep control of the ball at times. The forwards need to be involved to score a goal for christ's sake .That was dross and we could get pasted on Saturday,  should a repeat performance occur.1 bloody shot on target at home v a team below us ,tells the story.What a pathetic state of affairs the Vale are at the moment. 

37 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Just calmed down, after witnessing one of the worst attacking home performances in over 60 years of watching Vale.The defence was sound enough but we couldn't even keep control of the ball at times. The forwards need to be involved to score a goal for christ's sake .That was dross and we could get pasted on Saturday,  should a repeat performance occur.1 bloody shot on target at home v a team below us ,tells the story.What a pathetic state of affairs the Vale are at the moment. 

Only two games in , it can’t be the manager.  He inherited a bad group of players , for the most part. Summer can’t come quick enough. I feel that the standard of football in general has dropped in the last 10 years. 
Players are taught not to think for themselves from the age of 10, and they’re coached way too much about tactics and not being individuals. You  can see it every week in all divisions. Players don’t shoot as much as they used to. They don’t take a chance. It’s boring and predictable. If Ian Bogie or Gareth Ainsworth attended a Vale match now, he would leave after 10mins. 
Everything has become too sterile . I understand that the game must progress, but at what cost? This isn’t a slight on Darrell Clarke, not at all. The man has it all to do, and I wish him the best. 
The pandemic has affected the game,  and it’s fans , greatly , but it has been in trouble for some time , in my opinion. 
I hope that when fans are allowed back , we can see some better football , because whether it’s Premier League  or League 2, it’s awful to watch . 

Archived