onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

I didn't see any negative tactics tonight. We just were not good enough going forward through midfield, didn't hold the ball up well enough, didn't get men in the box sufficiently in quite a lot of attacks. We were OK down the flanks and good at the back. So its players and / or functionality of the team at issue. Not negative tactics by the manager.

Advert

Doesn’t it sound depressing’a back 5 against Stevenage’?
It is depressing but it's also the reality of the situation. We have been giving goals away and it needed to stop there's been no point in attacking teams and scoring 3 when we've let 4 in. I'm more worried about us going down this season than I was under the Aspin era,

Just now, dazzerjames said:

Not Correct, the last 20 minutes we had a go , after being more solid than I have seen us all season against a side that have a very good away record.

20 minutes, I must have missed that, I remember a spell for about 5 minutes and that is being generous.  Yeah we were solid but at the expense of having any chances, what worries me is where we will be after Cambridge, Salford and Cheltenham. 

3 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

Jesus wept emoji85.png

I’ll judge games as I see them. That was terrible to watch and extremely negative, no one will convince me other wise.

That’s not to say Clarke won’t build on this and turn us around. We could look back on these games and say Clarke was spot on. It’s too early to say and I back him to sort us out.

However, at the end of the day we were crap tonight (which Clarke has admitted). In my eyes we set up to draw against Stevenage at home. 

I do honestly think lockdown has everyone putting a lot of emphasis on a vale game / performance .. me included , usually I’d be doing lots of other things than watching a game every Tuesday / Saturday . I think that’s leading supporters micro managing every performance . Tonight was dire, but we didn’t lose . Had some good opportunities and openings . Solid yet dramatically unspectacular. But I’d rather tonight then the last 3 months .. 4-1 defeats , 4-3 defeats , dire defeats to barrow ... so not that bad .. just poor , bet we win Saturday !

18 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Taylor and Conlon...Burgess...Hurst...are all young lads having far too much responsibility lumped on them, because of the poor performances of much-more experienced players...like Monty. That's most of our midfield not playing to their potential, so the forwards are getting nothing, either! I'm afraid we will have to suffer this until we reach safety and the pressure is off? An emotional cry to get rid of players - outside of a transfer window - is just a bit daft - we're all suffering!

GET RID when he can. End of season. We have some poor players and i am convinced the majority will go. Not too many showing positives signs to D C at the moment

Systems, systems, systems. Does it matter when the players individually perform so badly. I'd hate to see our pass completion rate tonight. Error after error. I think DC is fully aware of the issues facing him but what does he do to stamp out individual errors. I did like his interview but players hate criticism. He has to tread a fine line to get them onside

I saw a master class in defending an stealing the game last night. Brighton v Crystal Palace. Palace had two shots and won 2-1. The rest of the game they defended the box including many last ditch tackles and blocks. If we do that v Cambridge and Salford, then ok. But we need a striker who scores. 

The one that annoyed me most tonight was Cullen down the middle of the pitch facing up the central defenders. And he did a pathetic pass left and the attack broke down. I expect him to charge and make them tackle giving away a freekick of allowing him to play into the space behind and run after it. He is much better than he's showing; get him mentally right.

On 23/02/2021 at 22:24, SuperHuman said:

I’ll judge games as I see them. That was terrible to watch and extremely negative, no one will convince me other wise.

That’s not to say Clarke won’t build on this and turn us around. We could look back on these games and say Clarke was spot on. It’s too early to say and I back him to sort us out.

However, at the end of the day we were crap tonight (which Clarke has admitted). In my eyes we set up to draw against Stevenage at home. 

I don't think you can argue about this apart from the last sentence.  Clarke would 100% want a win but be aiming not to lose.  In the short term it's clean sheets we need and build from that.  My only complaint is that chopping and changing players and staff won't make for fluid football in the short term.  Other than that it's far too early to form any opinion other than the guy isn't afraid to tinker.

Just now, Guitar Ray said:

I don't think you can argue about this apart from the last sentence.  Clarke would 100% want a win but be aiming not to lose.  In the short term it's clean sheets we need and build from that.  My only complaint is that chopping and changing players and staff won't make for fluid football in the short term.  Other than that it's far too really form any opinion other than the guy isn't afraid to tinker.

I am sort of with you on that. But I diverge on how rubbish Port Vale have been playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday etc. over the years. We have a history losing second games and that is partly because we aren't fit enough and gas. So I suspect he had that in mind. 

6 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

Yeah we did , had some clear openings and we were on the front foot ... what will you do if we have a successful season next year ? Might be worth closing your account ? And when the country opens back up for a party later in the year ?? Bet that will grate on you as well ! emoji23.pngemoji6.png

Strange. 

I must have missed these clear openings... please explain where they were. 

no point even responding to the rest

Archived