Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

10 minutes ago, ginge said:

I do agree with most of this but a lot of new managers come out with the "fitness" comments

Very true about the fitness comment , guarantee its what every new manager says. Interesting thought that if each manager gets the team fitter than the last we must soon end up with a team of Supermen.

Never happens though does it.

• Like 1

Advert:

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, Barrow and Grimsby have both won...but Mansfield and Colchester have both lost. Mansfield now been dragged into the mix. It's a useful point for us, tonight - not a good one, but useful. I'm not

I think some people need to give players a bit of time. Guthrie's had six games after being out in the cold for some time at Bradford. For me, he's still finding match sharpness but that will only com

First job was to stop leaking goals, we've done that tonight. That's a positive.

Posted Images

In terms of fitness you’ve got the balancing act of easing players in after injury, like Gibbo, Worrall, Manny and Monty for example. We’ve let ourselves down by rushing players back sometimes and that’s probably because they’re key to how we play. Even a Rodney looks to be struggling a bit too. But It isn’t helped by the fact that there’s no reserve games for anyone to play in, so even those not getting many minutes in the starting 11 can get their match fitness and sharpness up. 

Edited by PV1973

On 21/02/2021 at 17:48, Andy Proctor said:

Stevenage have won 3 of there last 4 away games. We have failed to beat stevenage at home in a league game our only home victory against them was in the fa cup.

They have signed a few good players recently norris a decent striker from Colchester and lines who we all know can be a good player. 

We could do with a win but a draw wouldn't be a bad result. If worral has an ankle injury then I cant see him playing.

Isn’t failing beating Stevenage largely  down to the fact we play football for 10 minutes and watch amateur dramatics for the rest?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

In terms of fitness you’ve got the balancing act of easing players in after injury, like Gibbo, Worrall, Manny and Monty for example. We’ve let ourselves down by rushing players back sometimes and that’s probably because they’re key to how we play. Even a Rodney looks to be struggling a bit too. But It isn’t helped by the fact that there’s no reserve games for anyone to play in, so even those not getting many minutes in the starting 11 can get their match fitness and sharpness up. 

DC will also need to assess whether the pitch is contributing to any lack of full fitness being maintained.

12 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Very true about the fitness comment , guarantee its what every new manager says. Interesting thought that if each manager gets the team fitter than the last we must soon end up with a team of Supermen.

Never happens though does it.

Maybe fitness drops off as a managers tenure runs out ?

• Like 2

Advert:

3 hours ago, JRC said:

Not sure to what extent Conlon had a poor game and how much it was the change of formation. Matching 3 in central midfield with a 2 meant he was really sitting in a holding role alongside Joyce. He's a lot better picking the ball up just inside the opposition half than sitting 10 metres infront of his own penalty area. Apart from a dog awful pass his play in a holding role was pretty steady but unspectacular; which is what you want if a player is playing as a holding midfield player.

We haven't drawn much this year,  as someone pointed out. It is a perennial problem in football that you spend preseason working on the faults of the previous season; only for the opposite fault to emerge during the new season. One of Foyle's season we pretty much won everything at home and lost away. They spent most of preseason working on shape for away games. We had a fantastic away record and were dire at home.

Conlon lost possession a lot but I’m not really concerned I think it was just one of those games for him. I’m sure he’ll return to his normal self tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, ginge said:

Id prefer Swan and Rodney

Same here, definitely think it's worth a go.  For me the worry with Guthrie is that he is not getting into any positions to miss those chances, I am not sure how many efforts on goal he has had but I would not think many.  Yes this service is not great but at least you see Rodney with attempts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powerline said:

Conlon lost possession a lot but I’m not really concerned I think it was just one of those games for him. I’m sure he’ll return to his normal self tomorrow.

Colon was also involved in the goal. Nice crossfield ball to the right wing 

Advert:

Swan is an unknown quantity to us fans although obviously the manager has seen him in training
We (fans) know Cullen has goals in him and I'm sure he wants to prove himself, as of course so does swan.
More-so than Saturday, I think tomorrow is a "must not lose" game but we must try and gain the three points which would create a gap with a game in hand.
With this in mind Cullen would be my preferred choice to partner Guthrie up front.
Only my personal point of view and certainly not trying to be condescending at all.

Just now, Birches Head Fred said:

Swan is an unknown quantity to us fans although obviously the manager has seen him in training
We (fans) know Cullen has goals in him and I'm sure he wants to prove himself, as of course so does swan.
More-so than Saturday, I think tomorrow is a "must not lose" game but we must try and gain the three points which would create a gap with a game in hand.
With this in mind Cullen would be my preferred choice to partner Guthrie up front.
Only my personal point of view and certainly not trying to be condescending at all.

Why would you drop Rodney? He’s our main goal threat. I understand Cullen playing but surely instead of Guthrie rather than Rodney? 

• Like 1

I also didn't think Conlon was that bad Sat. Not one of his best games sure, but a few bits of skill. Down their right, keeping it in and doing some keepy-uppy springs to mind. Even their commentators were impressed.

Drop Rodders? If fit no chance. He does stuff.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

Why would you drop Rodney? He’s our main goal threat. I understand Cullen playing but surely instead of Guthrie rather than Rodney? 
Rodney right wing assuming Worral doesn't play. If Worral is fit then I'd keep him on the bench as an impact sub.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

He is unknown but I do believe it's pointless bringing in youngsters on loan if we don't give them a go. Also he has scored goals albeit at a much lower level. Cullen has been tried this season and hasn't been good enough. 

• Like 1

Advert:

9 minutes ago, ginge said:

He is unknown but I do believe it's pointless bringing in youngsters on loan if we don't give them a go. Also he has scored goals albeit at a much lower level. Cullen has been tried this season and hasn't been good enough. 

Agree Ginge although if you play Cullen it has to be in a front 2, not strong enough to play the loan striker role. Having said that happy to play Rodney with Cullen/Swan having a half each to give their all for 45 mins.

3 minutes ago, dishydave said:

I think trying to guess the team is going to be fun with Clarke in charge. I can't see Wozza making this one unfortunately so maybe a chance for Monty

Where’s Barry? Guess the team.

• Haha 1