Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Advert:

According to our new manager we have a squad of players who were brought to the club specifically to play 433 formation.
In the two games he has been in charge we have played two completely different formations with differing personnel.
No wonder they seem to be struggling seeing just how much they were struggling with the 433 in the first place.
However it's 2 games unbeaten and we look less likely to lose than we did.
It certainly wasn't a classic but we aren't going to turn this around in a matter of days, get a solid platform from which to move forward.
It's gone, it's over, we didn't lose, no-one died, onwards and hopefully upwards.

• Like 2

Advert:

Not defending Askey here, but during the short time we looked decent under him, we were playing some good stuff. Many, me included,  were raving about the work rate and energy of our midfield of Joyce, Conlon and the ever improving Burgess. Our high tempo pressing game was even being compared,  on a relative scale,  to the way that Liverpool were playing. Quality with the majority of these players didn't seem the issue, nor was it with Askey. Then lock down came, coupled with injuries to Gibbo and Monty and the team and Askey never recovered. The summer signings were unbelievably poor and all the good that we had evaporated to leave us looking like we do now, with even our supposedly better players looking not up to the requirements. 

Will we ever know what caused such a collapse in form and can DC restore any of that belief in these players,  or were they just a flash in the pan that flattered to deceive?

Edited by Old fort
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Positives clean sheet 

Negatives far too many mention .

This long ball game up to the forwards has to stop Rodney has being dominated all game and the one time he was put through by a brilliant ball from Montano he has ballsed it up as he should have passed to Swann.

Conlon captain where was he  all night and what's with the flying swan from the cross by Swann our best moment of the game stand up and head it in .

Burgess howitzer was the only other good moment going forwards .

The rest was a good defensive effort that's all with Crookes starring .

UTV 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Will we ever know what caused such a collapse in form and can DC restore any of that belief in these players,  or were they just a flash in the pan that flattered to deceive?

I'm not sure we ever will. Something happened after the cup defeat to King's Lynn and we suffered a catastrophic lack of form, never to really recover. Askey himself never looked or sounded himself after that. 

Some have said Askey was knifed. But by whom? Or that he lost the confidence of the players. But why? So, yes you're right with that question: will we ever know? I doubt it.

The only thing we can do now is to get behind DC, hope and pray we survive the relegation battle we're in, and then build for the future. 

• Like 3

Advert:

19 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I'm not sure we ever will. Something happened after the cup defeat to King's Lynn and we suffered a catastrophic lack of form, never to really recover. Askey himself never looked or sounded himself after that. 

Some have said Askey was knifed. But by whom? Or that he lost the confidence of the players. But why? So, yes you're right with that question: will we ever know? I doubt it.

The only thing we can do now is to get behind DC, hope and pray we survive the relegation battle we're in, and then build for the future. 

The games we lost late on suggest both fitness and team discipline were issues. I think we did well against top teams and then started to lose to lower teams. Strange. But another issue was we were League 2 Brighton. Played lots of nice football without looking like scoring. Then confidence went, individual errors arrived and everything crash dived. With Askey, I was hopeful he would turn it around but he didn't. He didn't change from playing 433 and he didn't adapt during games to the opposition. Still all too late now, we need to get safe and prepare for next season.

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Warren said:

The games we lost late on suggest both fitness and team discipline were issues. I think we did well against top teams and then started to lose to lower teams. Strange. But the issues was we were League 2 Brighton. Played lots of nice football without looking like scoring. Then confidence went, individual errors arrived and everything crash dived. With Askey, I was hopeful he would turn it around but he didn't. He didn't change from playing 433 and he didn't adapt during games to the opposition. Still all too late now, we need to get safe and prepare for next season.

I really wished we were like League 2 Brighton, they play with an identity and every time, I see them play, they seem to be unlucky and dominate games, even against the top teams, could have won by 6 last night.  I watch us and no matter who is in charge, I never see us dominate.  I am not going lay this on Clarke though, the fault lays entirely with Askey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Against a poor team

What do we do for the next three games. Play a back seven !!!

Against a side on a better run than us, and having made some good TW signings! If we have to play seven at the back to secure safety, I say let's do it!

• Like 2

Advert:

Not sure what some people expected. But this is exactly what I was anticipating. First thing on the agenda had to be make us hard to beat. That seems to have started...and long may it continue. Well at least to the end of the season. hard to beat just about keeps us up I hope. The alternative is definite relegation. 

Well done crookes tonight with legg and smith. First time in a while we have looked like not getting done by one long ball over the top. 

The realism is this squad is cack. Last season covered a few cracks but normal play has been resumed. We have no real quality on anywhere. Let’s not forget that this group of players nearly got us relegated before. Big job in the summer with no sentiment shown to any of this lot. Even the half decent ones need to seriously shape up or ship out. 

• Like 1

Clark keeps having a dig at askey-'only 1 defensive midfielder' surely it's up to him to find players or coach them to suit his system? He doesn't know the best system yet, he is experimenting. Also, everyone seems to think we won't go down, in not so sure, we r pretty much as poor as every team iv seen in this league

• Like 1