Jump to content

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage


Fosse69
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, dazzerjames said:


Not Correct, the last 20 minutes we had a go , after being more solid than I have seen us all season against a side that have a very good away record.

20 minutes, I must have missed that, I remember a spell for about 5 minutes and that is being generous.  Yeah we were solid but at the expense of having any chances, what worries me is where we will be after Cambridge, Salford and Cheltenham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


3 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:


Jesus wept emoji85.png

I’ll judge games as I see them. That was terrible to watch and extremely negative, no one will convince me other wise.

That’s not to say Clarke won’t build on this and turn us around. We could look back on these games and say Clarke was spot on. It’s too early to say and I back him to sort us out.

However, at the end of the day we were crap tonight (which Clarke has admitted). In my eyes we set up to draw against Stevenage at home. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do honestly think lockdown has everyone putting a lot of emphasis on a vale game / performance .. me included , usually I’d be doing lots of other things than watching a game every Tuesday / Saturday . I think that’s leading supporters micro managing every performance . Tonight was dire, but we didn’t lose . Had some good opportunities and openings . Solid yet dramatically unspectacular. But I’d rather tonight then the last 3 months .. 4-1 defeats , 4-3 defeats , dire defeats to barrow ... so not that bad .. just poor , bet we win Saturday !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Taylor and Conlon...Burgess...Hurst...are all young lads having far too much responsibility lumped on them, because of the poor performances of much-more experienced players...like Monty. That's most of our midfield not playing to their potential, so the forwards are getting nothing, either! I'm afraid we will have to suffer this until we reach safety and the pressure is off? An emotional cry to get rid of players - outside of a transfer window - is just a bit daft - we're all suffering!

GET RID when he can. End of season. We have some poor players and i am convinced the majority will go. Not too many showing positives signs to D C at the moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Systems, systems, systems. Does it matter when the players individually perform so badly. I'd hate to see our pass completion rate tonight. Error after error. I think DC is fully aware of the issues facing him but what does he do to stamp out individual errors. I did like his interview but players hate criticism. He has to tread a fine line to get them onside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


I saw a master class in defending an stealing the game last night. Brighton v Crystal Palace. Palace had two shots and won 2-1. The rest of the game they defended the box including many last ditch tackles and blocks. If we do that v Cambridge and Salford, then ok. But we need a striker who scores. 

The one that annoyed me most tonight was Cullen down the middle of the pitch facing up the central defenders. And he did a pathetic pass left and the attack broke down. I expect him to charge and make them tackle giving away a freekick of allowing him to play into the space behind and run after it. He is much better than he's showing; get him mentally right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 23/02/2021 at 22:24, SuperHuman said:

I’ll judge games as I see them. That was terrible to watch and extremely negative, no one will convince me other wise.

That’s not to say Clarke won’t build on this and turn us around. We could look back on these games and say Clarke was spot on. It’s too early to say and I back him to sort us out.

However, at the end of the day we were crap tonight (which Clarke has admitted). In my eyes we set up to draw against Stevenage at home. 

I don't think you can argue about this apart from the last sentence.  Clarke would 100% want a win but be aiming not to lose.  In the short term it's clean sheets we need and build from that.  My only complaint is that chopping and changing players and staff won't make for fluid football in the short term.  Other than that it's far too early to form any opinion other than the guy isn't afraid to tinker.

Edited by Guitar Ray
typo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Did we? 

Yeah we did , had some clear openings and we were on the front foot ... what will you do if we have a successful season next year ? Might be worth closing your account ? And when the country opens back up for a party later in the year ?? Bet that will grate on you as well !
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Guitar Ray said:

I don't think you can argue about this apart from the last sentence.  Clarke would 100% want a win but be aiming not to lose.  In the short term it's clean sheets we need and build from that.  My only complaint is that chopping and changing players and staff won't make for fluid football in the short term.  Other than that it's far too really form any opinion other than the guy isn't afraid to tinker.

I am sort of with you on that. But I diverge on how rubbish Port Vale have been playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday etc. over the years. We have a history losing second games and that is partly because we aren't fit enough and gas. So I suspect he had that in mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:


Yeah we did , had some clear openings and we were on the front foot ... what will you do if we have a successful season next year ? Might be worth closing your account ? And when the country opens back up for a party later in the year ?? Bet that will grate on you as well ! emoji23.pngemoji6.png

Strange. 
 

I must have missed these clear openings... please explain where they were. 
 

no point even responding to the rest

Edited by valiant_593

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Warren said:

I am sort of with you on that. But I diverge on how rubbish Port Vale have been playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday etc. over the years. We have a history losing second games and that is partly because we aren't fit enough and gas. So I suspect he had that in mind. 

I thought we were finishing the stronger team in the last 10 minutes, when we had a little spell of pressure, but then reverted to type, where lack of quality rather than fitness meant we couldn't sustain the pressure we created.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


20 minutes, I must have missed that, I remember a spell for about 5 minutes and that is being generous.  Yeah we were solid but at the expense of having any chances, what worries me is where we will be after Cambridge, Salford and Cheltenham. 

Setting up against the better teams like we did tonight could be beneficial, solid then need to take a chance .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

What did Brown have to do?

Neither keeper had anything to do but it was clear to most who was the better team, who controlled the game and it was not us.  If we perform like that in the next 3 games, teams with a cutting edge like we will be playing will punish us.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here

    Please check with site staff if you wish to sell, auction or raffle any items on here. We are very happy to support good causes but do ask you to check with us first - Contact us here




×
×
  • Create New...