Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Just now, valiant_593 said:

I thought and have posted for weeks, even when Askey was in charge that i thought 352 suits us, mainly because we are so poor at the back and it allows gibbo and monty to press on. It didnt work tonight, as we created nothing and looked as bad going forwards as we have all season. The positive is the clean sheet and I imagine clarke will be happy that we looked solid. With a truly awful side being solid at the back may keep us up

I thought the back 5 were under instructions to be more defensive minded, that’s how we seemed to set up. But first half both Gibbo and Monty were making wide runs but we never got the ball out to them. But your wing backs are only going to be effective going forward if we actually have the ball. If the central midfielders and forwards can’t do the simple things of getting it down, keeping possession and linking play then what can those wingbacks do? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Clarke has done what needed to be done.  He has made us hard to beat first and foremost

Exactly. We have to a base to work from and stop the losing mentality. Can't keep averaging nearly 2 goals conceded per game.

14 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Askey has gone mate, we have signed 5 players and played 7 games...  how many of those players featured tonight?  Does that tell you anything at all?

Tells me a new manager is assessing the squad inherited and will give every player in the squad a chance to show what they can do before moving forward in the summer. It is irrelevant whether Brown, Aspin, Askey or Pugh signed the players.

I'm sort of fairly relaxed

We were crap - again, totally devoid of creativity, though perhaps a tad better at the back

The last time a new manager took over a poor side and went 5 at the back to make us tighter, but initially we were dull as anything was Micky Adams

We are project 'don't get relegated' at present.  We won't and lets see what happens.  Every bit of tonight's criticism could have been levelled at Adams first 2 months in charge.  It's the start of a rebuild job.  Relax

Edited by mattyboy
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I thought the back 5 were under instructions to be more defensive minded, that’s how we seemed to set up. But first half both Gibbo and Monty were making wide runs but we never got the ball out to them. But your wing backs are only going to be effective going forward if we actually have the ball. If the central midfielders and forwards can’t do the simple things of getting it down, keeping possession and linking play then what can those wingbacks do? 

Agree

1 minute ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I agree. Oh for an Anthony Grant or Ian Bogie.

To think that some fans criticised Grant as well. What a player he was, singlehandedly controlled games. That’s what we are crying out for now. Our midfield cannot get a foot hold in any game. The game just passed Taylor by. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattyboy said:

We were crap - again, totally devoid of creativity, though perhaps a tad better at the back

The last time a new manager took over a poor side and went 5 at the back to make us tighter, but initially we were dull as anything was Micky Adams

We are project 'don't get relegated' at present.  We won't and lets see what happens.  Every bit of tonight's criticism could have been levelled at Adams first 2 months in charge.  It's the start of a rebuild job.  Relax

Great post

2 minutes ago, mattyboy said:

We are project 'don't get relegated' at present.  We won't and lets see what happens.  Every but of tonight's criticism could have been levelled at Adams first 2 months in charge.  It's the start of a rebuild job.  Relax

Remember us playing beating Sheffield United away and playing Sheffield Wednesday off the park in his first month in charge.

20 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Not having that. Gibbons barely got past the half way line. Conlon has clearly been told to be conservative and hold his position. The back 3 or 5 were ridiculously deep.

Thats Gibbons problem surely. Yes he did get forward so too did Monty but without and quality at the end of it.

Even at full back Monty got forward more than he did tonight. He had a poor game end of.

1 minute ago, SuperHuman said:

To think that some fans criticised Grant as well. What a player he was, singlehandedly controlled games. That’s what we are crying out for now. Our midfield cannot get a foot hold in any game. The game just passed Taylor by. 

Grant was the anti-christ on here by loads of posters. 

Along with O'Connor he's the best Midfield player of the last decade

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

5 players signed and it was Pugh and Sinclairs training methods and ideas.

Dance around it all we want, the grass isn't greener.  Just more expensive.

<ovf censored>! 

I doubt Pugh and Sinclair did anything different than they had during Askey's last few weeks - otherwise, why wouldn't they have tried out these mythical methods, sooner? At least some of the players signed had been identified while JA was still here, and, even if you don't like to admit it, most of the players signed this season were Askey signings. We're now 2 points closer to safety than we were under JA, so, if making us harder to beat, and, ultimately, reaching safety is to be Clarke's achievement I'd argue it's worth the money, as we were certainly not guaranteed safety under Askey. 

As to the new management structure, we have no idea, yet, whether it's money well invested for the future progress of the club, until a couple of seasons have gone, at least?  I'm sure John Askey is a good and decent bloke, and I've defended him this season, as that...but I'm not sure why you're so determined to insist he would have kept us up, with everything else pointing otherwise?

It’s a lot of pressure on Monty and Gibbo to come back after both having injury issues and now being asked to essentially be the wingers and the flank defenders. No midfielders go out wide so it’s either a player who’s sat out for months doing sprints up and down the whole pitch or pull the strikers wide apart. Conlon was doing ok and now he looks like he doesn’t know his role, that can’t be coincidence. Early days though, and have we kept 2 back to back clean sheets this season before tonight? 

23 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Not having that. Gibbons barely got past the half way line. Conlon has clearly been told to be conservative and hold his position. The back 3 or 5 were ridiculously deep.

Also to add that the danger in playing three at the back, especially three who have all come under pressure for poor performances and who are not the quickest and who are probable the three worst distributor of the ball in league two, yes i would expect them to not push up.

Two wing backs and three midfield plus two forwards should have played football and kept the ball and then gone forwards. All those players would be described as footballers wouldnt they. Not tonight !!!