onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

1 hour ago, jjvale_03 said:

I don't see how any with functioning eye sight could disagree with that.

Brown, Gibbo, Conlon, Wozza and Rodney + 15 new players (I'd keep Crookes, Taylor and the new keeper as squad players). Even then, none of those five mentioned would be guaranteed starters in a top 7 side. The rest need to be moved on. 

On Gibbo, it's a big few months for him. Got enough credit in the bank to be given another season but I thought that the young Stevenage full back (Remeoa Hutton - on loan from Birmingham whose contract is up in the summer) looked miles ahead of Gibbons last night, especially in terms of his distribution. 

Agree I thought he looked very good. I also thought their number 27 looked good on the ball (jack Aitchison) on loan from Barnsley. Osbourne looked tidy as well - better than what we have and released by us when he was 18! 

Advert

19 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

According to Walsall fans , DC is known for his hoofball style so we best get used to it. Doesn't help the squad is full of deadwood though 

That is correct but it can be very effective if worked right and with the right personal BUT having said that Bristol fans say he played passing attacking football,he does have an habit of playing a style or system dependant on opposition.

Last night was a shocker but he knows that and he certainly doesn't want us to play that way,not a great deal he can do right now and certainly not in a week,i cant wait for the mass changes in the summer,i do think though in a week the defence already looks more organised and i know i will get laughed at but Crookes was my motm yesterday(apart from some poor passing) and it says a lot but the sub Burgess pushed him close in fact i would start him before Taylor at the moment.

18 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Both teams have looked decent until the final third? Really blakeman? <ovf censored> clueless his commentary is even worse than this vale side 

I dont see why anyone is surprised by the stoke fan Blakeman,slate him as much as people want but give me Vale fan Bowers and his waffling any day of the week

18 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

That where this clown Clarke is taking us yes.

Are you on a wind up or is this what you seriously think?? if so after a week at the club its a silly comment to make,i would be interested to know who you expected as manager who would rescue us when taking over a poor squad of players assembled by Askey?

18 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

Conlon’s worst two performances of the season have come under Clarke. On the past two showings I don’t think the style of football will suit Conlon at all.

Depends if you go on the walsall style or bristol one,as the Bristol one seemed to suit a footballer like Lines

18 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

He didn't sign at least 2 of those.

Lets just clear this up Askey has gone now so give it a rest and get behind the new set up for goodness sake,are you actually a vale fan? 

I will play your game just this once though,believe what you want but only McKirdy wasn't an Askey signing,he had a choice with Robinson(we all know not his first one that was Maynard) but he signed him and again most of those who you say have come in since were lined up by Askey,as i say believe what you want but please just give it a rest or keep an eye out for where Askey goes next and go watch them

The game reminded me very much of another 0-0 a horror show against Barnet under Gannon.

If memory serves me right we had one decent chance where Jay O'Shea missed a sitter. 

Gannon talked of a good performance and a good point.

Absolutely no cliches or piffle from Clarke, he was clearly angry and knows the huge task he has here. Refreshing interview and comments.

57 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

That is correct but it can be very effective if worked right and with the right personal BUT having said that Bristol fans say he played passing attacking football,he does have an habit of playing a style or system dependant on opposition.

Last night was a shocker but he knows that and he certainly doesn't want us to play that way,not a great deal he can do right now and certainly not in a week,i cant wait for the mass changes in the summer,i do think though in a week the defence already looks more organised and i know i will get laughed at but Crookes was my motm yesterday(apart from some poor passing) and it says a lot but the sub Burgess pushed him close in fact i would start him before Taylor at the moment.

Absolutely. My comment wasn't a knock on DC by the way, the best managers out there would struggle to get this lot playing decent football again. 

I don't care how we do it , a win is a win. I just hope fans don't get on his back straight away when results don't go our way 

19 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

5 players signed and it was Pugh and Sinclairs training methods and ideas.

Dance around it all we want, the grass isn't greener.  Just more expensive.

DC has a massive job on his hands, we cannot read what type of game he will eventually plays, as currently we are desperate for any points available and it is backs to the wall.

His cause is not helped with Numpty posts like yours.

People who think last night perfomance is the way clarke is wanting to play are genuinely idiots. You can not judge the man on performances until the end of the season did you see the quality on display pep wouldnt get anything out of this squad of players never mind clarke. 

he is clearly setting up witha damage limitation approach and trying to pinch as many points between now and end of the season which he has successfully done in the last two games. Yes its not going to be pretty but we have 0 quality so hes got to work with what hes got. 

he can only start to be judged from next season once weve had the mass clear out and he brings in people he deems fit to lead a promotion charge next season. 

anyone questioning his appointment at this stage are beyond delusional 

11 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

The pandemic has affected the game,  and it’s fans , greatly , but it has been in trouble for some time , in my opinion. 
I hope that when fans are allowed back , we can see some better football , because whether it’s Premier League  or League 2, it’s awful to watch . 

You're right. Football has been declining in entertainment value for many a season and and the premier league, in particular, is beyond parody, which is what you get when big money takes control of a sport. And the pandemic lockdown has made it much worse with players having to compete in empty, soulless stadiums where it's so quiet you can hear the coaches' every word. I think we've missed the crowd more than most because not only do we get great support at home but our travelling support turns many of our away fixtures into home games as in little L2 we make more noise than the sparse home attendances.

It can be a double-edged sword though. My neighbour, who else but a Cambridge supporter, told me the other day that their worst spell this season was the brief period when they were able to have a limited number in the ground, largely because the fans got on the players' backs. Before last night's home defeat, they'd put three past Mansfield away and my guess is they'll be in a similar frame of mind for Satdee to make amends for the Cheltenham debacle.

DC will know this and I think we'd better prepare ourselves for another turgid display. With points at a premium, my guess is he'll want to keep it tight, not concede and pick up another point to keep the relegation pack at bay. Against Cambridge, it would be a good point and I'm not going to complain too much if that's all we get, though a 1-0 win against the run of play would be nice. In our present position, survival is the name of the game.

For anyone who's interested, here's what Bonner, United's manager, had to say after the game:

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/sport/bonner-defeat-not-psychologically-damaging-9157917/

Archived