onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Was so looking forwards to the game and it turned out a damp squib. 

Stevenage played with a want a desire and we couldn't string 3 passes together but we hung on in there for a 0-0 .

I really do not know what say we could have told Clarke ,Rodney would not be able compete in the air v the very experienced centre half he was up against the fact Brown had about 20 upfield punts and they all came back I couldn't for the life of me understand that tactic when Guthrie is a better option surely yet he brought him on too late make a impact when I felt it was Rodney not  Swann who should have being replaced at half time as once again he did not in my opinion do enough .

Swann looked lively and maybe would have had a goal if Rodney didnt balls that fantastic through ball from Montano why he didnt pass when Swann would have being one on one I do not know ,wasnt happy about that at all we were hardly playing well  as it was without not punishing the one time we got behind them to yes it would have give us a undeserved lead but so what football is about scoring more goals than the opposition. Smith put Swann in and he crossed and for some unknown reason I'd have watch it again but Conlon seemed to duck instead of staying on his feet and heading home .

Joyce drove wide decent hit then Joyce went off injured so we brought on Burgess who I thought did well in a role probably not suited to him and nearly grabbed a absolute fantastic winner with a shot which looked a terrific hit to me .

Crookes defensively again terrific as were most of the team ,we blocked shots and did the ugly stuff well but I never thought we could not play with any conviction or quality going forwards ,some of the passing was absolutely terrible .

So for sat I'd like see more effort in passing the ball crisply to one another and if your going play hoofball from Goal kicks I suggest you play someone who may flick one on .

Theres players hiding on the pitch the captain is not in the game ,out of all the players you would expect the captain lead by example with great passing ,movement and desire .

When do you see one of our players taking the ball and driving into the box ,Gibbons v Grimsby etc and he is full back ,we need to be braver on the ball and win some games .

DC has done a very good job within 7 days at one end however at the other end it's being really poor let's hope Amoo Pope Worrall and Oyeleke are not far away from returning .

Just one ? For our manager ,why didnt you use young hursty at some point last night his positivity with the ball is required in home games and he can light up a performance with one positive bit of go for it play .

Advert

It wasn’t a classic but some positives:

Clean sheet

Never really looked like conceding

Crookes was superb defensively

Legge and Smith back to the levels we expect of them

Burgess I felt played well

Negatives

Joyce injury, second half we struggled on the ball he’s key to that

Poor in the attacking and midfield areas going forward

Taylor was awful

Manny and Worrall could we be back to losing key players?

I can see what Clarke is trying to do though beyond the criticism, he’s trying to make us hard to beat first and foremost and in the two games bar maybe the last 10/15 at Orient we’ve been solid and not really looked like haemorrhaging the goals we had been.

That has come at a cost going forward so now it’s getting that balance right. If we can be solid in the next three we have a chance of picking up something against three tough opponents even if just a couple of points to keep us ticking along and the bottom three at arms length.

It will take time but we’ve seen improvements at the back, we know we’ve the ability to score goals so it’s about linking that all together now.

Probably need another 10-12 points for safety (maybe not even that) so hopefully we can pick up the odd win here and there and grind a few draws out to get to that target quickly and then we can start to focus on the job of next season.

Cambridge next will be tough all be it they haven’t been in great form the past few games so hopefully can get something from it. (1 win, 1 draw, 2 loss) we’ve actually picked up more points than them in that time.

It seems Clarke is doing what Micky Adams did when he 1st came to the club by making us defensively secure and ensuring we gain at least a point. I like how he doesn't sugarcoat our performances like some of our previous managers. He seems to be assessing the squad and trying new formations whilst still keeping us more defensively sound.

Its up to the players now to show the quality he/we desires if they want contracts for the next season.

Although its hard to watch, Im liking the approach that DC is taking so far. With key players back, it should improve, and if we can keep it tight at the back and add a goal or two we should see the season out without too many concerns. Its good to see Crookes looking like a decent player also.

9 minutes ago, mikey said:

Although its hard to watch, Im liking the approach that DC is taking so far. With key players back, it should improve, and if we can keep it tight at the back and add a goal or two we should see the season out without too many concerns. Its good to see Crookes looking like a decent player also.

I agree what you are saying but there's only Worrall missing really. 

Because of injuries I don't think Oyeleke and Amoo can be classed as regulars or key players.

Unless you mean Whitehead and Fitzpatrick 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I agree what you are saying but there's only Worrall missing really. 

Because of injuries I don't think Oyeleke and Amoo can be classed as regulars or key players.

Unless you mean Whitehead and Fitzpatrick 🤣🤣

I was thinking Pope and Amoo although lesser so for Amoo

9 hours ago, southvale said:

Clark keeps having a dig at askey-'only 1 defensive midfielder' surely it's up to him to find players or coach them to suit his system? He doesn't know the best system yet, he is experimenting. Also, everyone seems to think we won't go down, in not so sure, we r pretty much as poor as every team iv seen in this league emoji849.png

And he's absolutely spot on.

Who is the backup to Joyce then? Exactly.

You can't 'coach' attack minded players to naturally become Makelele all of a sudden.

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

And he's absolutely spot on.

Who is the backup to Joyce then? Exactly.

You can't 'coach' attack minded players to naturally become Makelele all of a sudden.

With regards to that I'm still none the wiser what Whitehead actually is 

Up and down player, holding player ?

I've really no idea 

Quality.  It's only taken DC 2 games to understand what regular Valiants have known for absolutely yonks.

You can fill out a squad with so called hard working individuals but what is really required to get out of this division is quality in the right places.

Finances of course dictate to a great extent what Clubs can do to acquire such quality acquisitions but frankly we have endured many, many seasons now without a recognised goalscoring forward and 2 midfield generals.

Someone in the middle of the park who can control and organise and alongside a forward thinking player to create chances is an absolute must together with a regular goalscorer are no brainers and if it takes a good slice of any budget, so be it. We have to look forward and DC seems to want to do that, after he has secured our position in the League.

A base whereby DC gets regular points on the board, even if it via turgid displays, is again a must at present.

Watching last night enabled me to again accept that our midfield honestly is not up to it. I like Taylor, yet he was chasing shadows and looked like a little boy running round the park. Joyce- well what can you say? He is an absolute shadow of what he once used to be. He is slow, ponderous and cannot now string any passes together. As for Captain Conlon, our one intelligent, quality player, well he was used last night to play infront of the defence and hardly ventured forward at all. Playing to orders no doubt but an absolute waste.

Good signs were the defence. They did knit together well and Crookes again had one of his better days. Smith and Legge were commanding.

However we had an almighty gap between defence and attack and allowed Stevenage the freedom of the park. Good job they were not up to the task.

Happy to gain another point towards our safety  but those of you that don't believe we are in for a rocky few weeks then you need to see reality and accept at present we are in for a battle. One that I personally think DC will see us through.

UTV.

Archived