onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

6 minutes ago, Warren said:

I am sort of with you on that. But I diverge on how rubbish Port Vale have been playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday etc. over the years. We have a history losing second games and that is partly because we aren't fit enough and gas. So I suspect he had that in mind. 

I thought we were finishing the stronger team in the last 10 minutes, when we had a little spell of pressure, but then reverted to type, where lack of quality rather than fitness meant we couldn't sustain the pressure we created.

Advert

20 minutes, I must have missed that, I remember a spell for about 5 minutes and that is being generous.  Yeah we were solid but at the expense of having any chances, what worries me is where we will be after Cambridge, Salford and Cheltenham. 

Setting up against the better teams like we did tonight could be beneficial, solid then need to take a chance .

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

What did Brown have to do?

Neither keeper had anything to do but it was clear to most who was the better team, who controlled the game and it was not us.  If we perform like that in the next 3 games, teams with a cutting edge like we will be playing will punish us.

According to our new manager we have a squad of players who were brought to the club specifically to play 433 formation.
In the two games he has been in charge we have played two completely different formations with differing personnel.
No wonder they seem to be struggling seeing just how much they were struggling with the 433 in the first place.
However it's 2 games unbeaten and we look less likely to lose than we did.
It certainly wasn't a classic but we aren't going to turn this around in a matter of days, get a solid platform from which to move forward.
It's gone, it's over, we didn't lose, no-one died, onwards and hopefully upwards.

Not defending Askey here, but during the short time we looked decent under him, we were playing some good stuff. Many, me included,  were raving about the work rate and energy of our midfield of Joyce, Conlon and the ever improving Burgess. Our high tempo pressing game was even being compared,  on a relative scale,  to the way that Liverpool were playing. Quality with the majority of these players didn't seem the issue, nor was it with Askey. Then lock down came, coupled with injuries to Gibbo and Monty and the team and Askey never recovered. The summer signings were unbelievably poor and all the good that we had evaporated to leave us looking like we do now, with even our supposedly better players looking not up to the requirements. 

Will we ever know what caused such a collapse in form and can DC restore any of that belief in these players,  or were they just a flash in the pan that flattered to deceive?

Positives clean sheet 

Negatives far too many mention .

This long ball game up to the forwards has to stop Rodney has being dominated all game and the one time he was put through by a brilliant ball from Montano he has ballsed it up as he should have passed to Swann.

Conlon captain where was he  all night and what's with the flying swan from the cross by Swann our best moment of the game stand up and head it in .

Burgess howitzer was the only other good moment going forwards .

The rest was a good defensive effort that's all with Crookes starring .

UTV 

2 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Will we ever know what caused such a collapse in form and can DC restore any of that belief in these players,  or were they just a flash in the pan that flattered to deceive?

I'm not sure we ever will. Something happened after the cup defeat to King's Lynn and we suffered a catastrophic lack of form, never to really recover. Askey himself never looked or sounded himself after that. 

Some have said Askey was knifed. But by whom? Or that he lost the confidence of the players. But why? So, yes you're right with that question: will we ever know? I doubt it.

The only thing we can do now is to get behind DC, hope and pray we survive the relegation battle we're in, and then build for the future. 

Archived