onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

23 minutes ago, 1 said:

The team was much better set up against Orient - much more balanced. We didn’t need to go 5 at the back.

Forget the system

Look at how the individual players performed.

When the ball is at Taylors feet [ or Conlon or Monty etc etc ] the formation we are playing means absolutely nothing. They have to be capable of doing something with the ball, i.e. play football.

We were awful tonight.

Advert

How many times did we try to get behind the Stevenage defence tonight?   Apart from not conceding,  what was the attacking plan?

Hope the tactics are explained in the interview and what if any change we can expect for the next few games, because we're running out of superlatives to describe what we have just witnessed. 

Just now, PV1973 said:

Plain as day. Some fans don’t seem to realise that players do the things positionally that they are told to by the manager. We set up like that for a reason. But IMO that formation means we don’t get the best out of certain players. However we got a clean sheet, so from that point of view the defensive base worked. But it’s the   forward thinking players though in front of them that were the issue. 

I thought and have posted for weeks, even when Askey was in charge that i thought 352 suits us, mainly because we are so poor at the back and it allows gibbo and monty to press on. It didnt work tonight, as we created nothing and looked as bad going forwards as we have all season. The positive is the clean sheet and I imagine clarke will be happy that we looked solid. With a truly awful side being solid at the back may keep us up

It's no surprise that it ended 0-0 . The majority of these players are awful. Sound enough defensively, but Darrell Clarke said last Saturday that the quality isn't there, and it's true. We'll claw and scratch our way to safety, then Flitcroft and Clarke should do a big clearout of National League level footballers. I've always thought Askey was decent enough as a manager, but this proves that his recruitment was awful. Clarke will sort it out, I'm sure of that. 

Just now, valiant_593 said:

I thought and have posted for weeks, even when Askey was in charge that i thought 352 suits us, mainly because we are so poor at the back and it allows gibbo and monty to press on. It didnt work tonight, as we created nothing and looked as bad going forwards as we have all season. The positive is the clean sheet and I imagine clarke will be happy that we looked solid. With a truly awful side being solid at the back may keep us up

I thought the back 5 were under instructions to be more defensive minded, that’s how we seemed to set up. But first half both Gibbo and Monty were making wide runs but we never got the ball out to them. But your wing backs are only going to be effective going forward if we actually have the ball. If the central midfielders and forwards can’t do the simple things of getting it down, keeping possession and linking play then what can those wingbacks do? 

13 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Clarke has done what needed to be done.  He has made us hard to beat first and foremost

Exactly. We have to a base to work from and stop the losing mentality. Can't keep averaging nearly 2 goals conceded per game.

14 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Askey has gone mate, we have signed 5 players and played 7 games...  how many of those players featured tonight?  Does that tell you anything at all?

Tells me a new manager is assessing the squad inherited and will give every player in the squad a chance to show what they can do before moving forward in the summer. It is irrelevant whether Brown, Aspin, Askey or Pugh signed the players.

I'm sort of fairly relaxed

We were crap - again, totally devoid of creativity, though perhaps a tad better at the back

The last time a new manager took over a poor side and went 5 at the back to make us tighter, but initially we were dull as anything was Micky Adams

We are project 'don't get relegated' at present.  We won't and lets see what happens.  Every bit of tonight's criticism could have been levelled at Adams first 2 months in charge.  It's the start of a rebuild job.  Relax

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I thought the back 5 were under instructions to be more defensive minded, that’s how we seemed to set up. But first half both Gibbo and Monty were making wide runs but we never got the ball out to them. But your wing backs are only going to be effective going forward if we actually have the ball. If the central midfielders and forwards can’t do the simple things of getting it down, keeping possession and linking play then what can those wingbacks do? 

Agree

1 minute ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I agree. Oh for an Anthony Grant or Ian Bogie.

To think that some fans criticised Grant as well. What a player he was, singlehandedly controlled games. That’s what we are crying out for now. Our midfield cannot get a foot hold in any game. The game just passed Taylor by. 

2 minutes ago, mattyboy said:

We were crap - again, totally devoid of creativity, though perhaps a tad better at the back

The last time a new manager took over a poor side and went 5 at the back to make us tighter, but initially we were dull as anything was Micky Adams

We are project 'don't get relegated' at present.  We won't and lets see what happens.  Every bit of tonight's criticism could have been levelled at Adams first 2 months in charge.  It's the start of a rebuild job.  Relax

Great post

2 minutes ago, mattyboy said:

We are project 'don't get relegated' at present.  We won't and lets see what happens.  Every but of tonight's criticism could have been levelled at Adams first 2 months in charge.  It's the start of a rebuild job.  Relax

Remember us playing beating Sheffield United away and playing Sheffield Wednesday off the park in his first month in charge.

Archived