onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

The windy conditions dictated the quality of that game, neither side played well, either side hardly played a decent weighted  ball, there didn't look an outstanding player on the pitch in either team and no one on Vale's team stood out, the conditions leveled everything.

It was a night for effort, for battling, for closing down and for keeping concentration and all Vale's players did that. One more point towards safety.

Positive more me is that vale look more solid and tighter at the back.

Advert

Wow that was truly abysmal.

Where do you start with that abomination. What on earth was up with the first touch of Montano ? Once is excusable but he did it about 5 times. 

I'm lost for words, Blakeman and Birchall watched a completely different game from me. 

Oh well 3 easy games now .

What an enormous summer ahead whichever league we are in .

Out

Brown ( moved to back up and keeper coach )

Crookes, Legge, Brisley, Mills, Fitzpatrick

Whitehead, Oyeleke

Pope, Guthrie, Cullen , Robinson

Undecided

Amoo, Burgess , Montano

12 released and 3 possible, bound to of forgotten some too 

What a job for Flitcroft and Clarke 

Ps Joyce add to my list 

20 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

So that’s what the two up top so many wanted looks like!

Weve been saying for a long time now. 1  2  3  upfront which ever, if there is no service is makes no difference. Our midfield three and two wing backs, after the first ten mins, were awful.

Have to add that the two up top were awful too !!!

We’ve started players tonight who have hardly played through injury or illness or whatever and IMO those players put a real shift in, Taylor, Gibbo, Monty ran their <ovf censored> off. I couldn’t fault any of their efforts and they looked to me to have left everything out there, so to say they’re useless is a complete over reaction. We set up as a back 5, which must have been on the managers instructions, so defensively the back 5 did their job and kept a clean sheet. That didn’t look to be set up as an attacking formation at all.  However if the front 2 and midfield 3 can’t get hold of the ball and help us get a foothold then its virtually impossible for that back 5 to push out when the ball is constantly coming back. If the back 5s performance was an issue then it would surely have been changed? It  wasn’t and so I can only assume that Clarke was happy with that aspect of the game. But there’s no way he can be happy with how the midfield 3 didn’t get hold of the ball or how the front 2 couldn’t buy us time to get up the pitch. That’s the issue with that formation for me. 

22 minutes ago, 1 said:

Manny in the midfield would be night and day in this formation. It relies on at least one decent midfielder who is a good tackler, passer and chance-creator. Without him in a 532 we will get bypassed in midfield, especially against oh I don’t know... the league leaders perhaps.

I confirm that Mannys best position is in the treatment room.  Its the only place he is consistent

What a dreadful second half that was.

I think fitness must be a massive issue for us, stemming from sub standard training and disinterest in said training this season.

First half wasnt a total disaster as we were pressing then but second half we were second to everything until they tired for the last ten minutes.

Clarke will get very little judgement from me this season.

Massive job to turn us around.

3 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

😄 I support the team and I think this thread is hilarious and you take the top prize...

Clarke has done what needed to be done.  He has made us hard to beat first and foremost.  However you lot on here are having meltdowns over how we have played....  Clarke is being tasked with developing young players.  To do that he needs to first of all stop us giving away goals and form some sort of base for young players to come in.  However, he has no chance with most of the clowns on here... Hurst who has shown great promise for example was slagged off when he came on.

The really funny part is, had we snatched a goal most of the idiots on here would be talking about a professional, solid performance.

Askey has gone mate, we have signed 5 players and played 7 games...  how many of those players featured tonight?  Does that tell you anything at all?  

You know full well that 2 out of the 5 were who Askey was intending to being in, 1 is a sub keeper and the other 2 are young loan signings. So your argument is null and void.

I’ve heard the same <ovf censored> from Askey’s mates, he didn’t want to sign Robinson and McKirdy, Mills and Fitzpatrick are on £500 a week, so what do you expect blah, blah, blah.

He was a one dimensional manager who ultimately failed. And by the way, I actually respect Askey, but he just wasn’t the man to take Vale forward. 

Just let it drop, get behind the lads, and hopefully better times are ahead. 

18 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

We had two forwards, three midfield men and two attacking wing backs. Only problem was they were all useless.

Taylor might be lucky to play again after that performance.

Conlon gone off completely

Monty had a poor game

Rodney once again looks less like a footballer than me.

Please Mr Clarke GET RID !!!!

You want DC to get rid of Rodney?

8 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Not having that. Gibbons barely got past the half way line. Conlon has clearly been told to be conservative and hold his position. The back 3 or 5 were ridiculously deep.

Plain as day. Some fans don’t seem to realise that players do the things positionally that they are told to by the manager. We set up like that for a reason. But IMO that formation means we don’t get the best out of certain players. However we got a clean sheet, so from that point of view the defensive base worked. But it’s the   forward thinking players though in front of them that were the issue. 

5 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Weve been saying for a long time now. 1  2  3  upfront which ever, if there is no service is makes no difference. Our midfield three and two wing backs, after the first ten mins, were awful.

Have to add that the two up top were awful too !!!

Our two wing backs were actually two backs. How many crosses did they put in. Agree about the complete lack of service. 

That was just awful, one of the worst performances I've seen this season with the only redeeming feature that we didn't concede and gained one more point as we scramble to avoid oblivion. The performance to me was a result of the injuries we've had, with players being forced back and playing ninety minutes before they're ready, key players lacking confidence, and a squad lacking any depth or quality. 

Tonight illustrated how much we need someone like Pope or Guthrie to hold the ball up front. It just wasn't sticking. As a result the midfield was overrun chasing to retrieve the ball rather than being brought into the game. All Guthrie's critics please take note. It was like pinball before he came on.  

With that performance, unless we can get Oyeleke and Wozza fit, we stand no chance against Cambridge who will know we are there for the taking and come prepared accordingly. 

It's going to be a dire end to the season I'm afraid as we battle to avoid the drop.

Archived