onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Advert

Swan is an unknown quantity to us fans although obviously the manager has seen him in training
We (fans) know Cullen has goals in him and I'm sure he wants to prove himself, as of course so does swan.
More-so than Saturday, I think tomorrow is a "must not lose" game but we must try and gain the three points which would create a gap with a game in hand.
With this in mind Cullen would be my preferred choice to partner Guthrie up front.
Only my personal point of view and certainly not trying to be condescending at all.

Just now, Birches Head Fred said:

Swan is an unknown quantity to us fans although obviously the manager has seen him in training
We (fans) know Cullen has goals in him and I'm sure he wants to prove himself, as of course so does swan.
More-so than Saturday, I think tomorrow is a "must not lose" game but we must try and gain the three points which would create a gap with a game in hand.
With this in mind Cullen would be my preferred choice to partner Guthrie up front.
Only my personal point of view and certainly not trying to be condescending at all.

Why would you drop Rodney? He’s our main goal threat. I understand Cullen playing but surely instead of Guthrie rather than Rodney? 

I also didn't think Conlon was that bad Sat. Not one of his best games sure, but a few bits of skill. Down their right, keeping it in and doing some keepy-uppy springs to mind. Even their commentators were impressed.

Drop Rodders? If fit no chance. He does stuff.

6 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

He is unknown but I do believe it's pointless bringing in youngsters on loan if we don't give them a go. Also he has scored goals albeit at a much lower level. Cullen has been tried this season and hasn't been good enough. 

9 minutes ago, ginge said:

He is unknown but I do believe it's pointless bringing in youngsters on loan if we don't give them a go. Also he has scored goals albeit at a much lower level. Cullen has been tried this season and hasn't been good enough. 

Agree Ginge although if you play Cullen it has to be in a front 2, not strong enough to play the loan striker role. Having said that happy to play Rodney with Cullen/Swan having a half each to give their all for 45 mins.

27 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:
32 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:
Why would you drop Rodney? He’s our main goal threat. I understand Cullen playing but surely instead of Guthrie rather than Rodney? 

Rodney right wing assuming Worral doesn't play. If Worral is fit then I'd keep him on the bench as an impact sub.

Fair enough. For me Rodney has to start given his goal return so far. I like him out wide so wouldn’t mind that. Think he should start though 

Cullen helped Bpool get promotion he is a good finisher for all we know it could be Swann and  Cullen tomorrow and why not they be expecting Rodney and Guthrie ,its all about the quality of our play but in order play you have to earn the right first .

I am intrigued by Clarke he is as unpredictable as the teams I choose I like that there are many different ways win football matches .

Going be tough but think we can do it ,if I was a professional footballer I'd love play for someone who instills pride in yourself firstly then a mentality of when you lose a it's really hurt you lots .

Come on the Vale 

For all those calling for Guthrie to be dropped... can you let me know now who the boo boy will be that we all pile onto and blame when the ball fails to stick up front.

Yes I'm keen to see Swan have a run... but in a 2 up top Rodney needs a big man to win first contact. 

Guthrie and Rodney to play up top... Swan to come on for a cameo and Rodney to move out wide at that stage.

I think some people need to give players a bit of time. Guthrie's had six games after being out in the cold for some time at Bradford. For me, he's still finding match sharpness but that will only come through playing.

It's no hard and fast rule but I would judge someone ten games or so into their Vale career. If you look at Rodney for instance, ten games in he had just one goal. But he then scored four in his next ten appearances.

That's probably down to a load of things - match sharpness, getting to know his teammates better after playing games with them, confidence in being in the first XI etc. 

For me, I would start with Guthrie but I'd perhaps consider 20-30 mins as a sub for Swan as well.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

For all those calling for Guthrie to be dropped... can you let me know now who the boo boy will be that we all pile onto and blame when the ball fails to stick up front.

Yes I'm keen to see Swan have a run... but in a 2 up top Rodney needs a big man to win first contact. 

Guthrie and Rodney to play up top... Swan to come on for a cameo and Rodney to move out wide at that stage.

I think rodney wins enough up top himself so personally don’t think Guthrie is needed. I’d like to see swan given a go, he’s highly rated and we don’t know what his hold play is like until he’s given a go. Or as you say I wouldn’t mind us going with Rodney out wide. 

49 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think rodney wins enough up top himself so personally don’t think Guthrie is needed. I’d like to see swan given a go, he’s highly rated and we don’t know what his hold play is like until he’s given a go. Or as you say I wouldn’t mind us going with Rodney out wide. 

Rodneys best attributes mean he needs to be playing on the shoulder of the defender, using his pace and power to get behind... not spend all evening doing the thankless tasks that Guthrie gets no credit for.

Archived